Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, Recently came on and wanted to say hello. I'm a newer rider, 3 years but in the old guy age bracket for most probably. 56 and climbing steadily.
Started with a Yamaha V Star I got from a buddy. Brought it home even though my wife said "Hell no, you are not going to start riding motorcycles". Hehe.
had it two weeks and knew I needed a bigger one with a 6th gear. Started mt quest for the perfect for me bike and a year later had it narrowed down to a HD Street Glide or a Vic Cross Country. after taking all things I could think of into consideration, including Vic being shut down I picked up my 13 XC and have been loving it ever since. have a few mods so far including RPW pipes, Lloydz timing wheel, Lloydz PCV and air intake. Scheduled for a Dyno Oct. 6th.

I'm appreciative of all I can learn from the experienced posters on here and look forward to meeting more of you, especially if you are in my neck of the woods and want to get out on rides. I'm into my Vic for the long haul. If I have my way she'll be my last bike unless I'm able to pick up another Vic to add to my stable. I love my buddies Vegas. It's a blast to ride so i'm open to one of those as well as a Highball. I just like the way they look and wouldn't mind a steel frame bike to ride on shorter distances.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I rarely use the 6th gear but I'm happy to have it for long hauls on the slab.

·
12,983 Posts
Hope you got owners book and read how to check oil. Vic's are not like other bikes.

Welcome from the north

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Welcome and Gday from the land Downunder..

With those mods you got a lot more air in and out,
Id be getting that PCV dynoed quick smart before you toast a valve or piston.
Just sayin' mate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting why you think you needed a 6th gear. Most of us rarely use 6th unless we are doing 70 or above. Me I my use it in Montana where the limit is 80, otherewise it stayes in 5th. make sure you keep the RPM's in the higher range the bike does not like to be lugged. I agree you should pick up a manual if you have not done so. Congratulation and welcome to the site. You picked a good bike.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Greetings from another Stumptowner. Let's get together sometime. I've been into Vic Cross bikes since 2009 and do all my own wrenching on my 2010 XR that was one of the first Cross bikes to hit the streets of Portland. I've had the forks apart and upgraded the steering head bearings to all tapered rollers and more.
Sixth gear? That's for over 70 per and those who are afraid to rev and engine that loves to rev. I grab 4K+ for shifts and never cruise below 3K rpms. I get better mpg on the hwy in 5th than I do in 6th.
See ya soon, I hope. But I won't be riding until after my back surgery sometime in October.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of the Victory Legend 8)

Look forward to seeing some pics of your ride!!

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the sound of it some of you don’t use 6th gear much. It makes sense for the majority of the time unless you are going to open it up.
For the record, I like to open it up 😉. When I get on the freeway 75 and up is my happy place. When I had the VStar I couldn’t get there and needed more.
Thanks for the heads up on the oil. I learned that real quick. Called the dealer I bought it from after I checked it the first time asking what the hell they were doing selling me a bike low on oil. Guy calmly explained it to me and I felt like “dipstick”.

I’ll get a pic or two up after I figure out how to do it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Welcome from Southern Oregon. Good luck with your bike and ride safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts