Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. I am James, and am currently looking at new bikes so I can buy one in January. I currently have a 2006 Honda VTX 1300S that I plan to keep and a 1969 Honda CB450 that I am going to sell. My wife just started riding her own, and we bought her a 2013 Suzuki S40 Boulevard. Eventually, she will probably ride the 1300. I have my search narrowed down to 3 bikes: a Vision Cross Country Touring, a Goldwing, and a Triumph Rocket. I have a couple of questions to you, since I haven't ridden any of the 3 yet. First, would you buy a Victory again? Second, are there any features I definitely should not pass up if I choose the Victory? I should say that I am love the look of the Cross Country, but my friend just burned up his Ultra Classic because he was having to sit in traffic and a liquid cooled engine wouldn't have that issue.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. I am James, and am currently looking at new bikes so I can buy one in January. I currently have a 2006 Honda VTX 1300S that I plan to keep and a 1969 Honda CB450 that I am going to sell. My wife just started riding her own, and we bought her a 2013 Suzuki S40 Boulevard. Eventually, she will probably ride the 1300. I have my search narrowed down to 3 bikes: a Vision Cross Country Touring, a Goldwing, and a Triumph Rocket. I have a couple of questions to you, since I haven't ridden any of the 3 yet. First, would you buy a Victory again? Second, are there any features I definitely should not pass up if I choose the Victory? I should say that I am love the look of the Cross Country, but my friend just burned up his Ultra Classic because he was having to sit in traffic and a liquid cooled engine wouldn't have that issue.
Buy a Victory , you cant go wrong . I'm on my second one , if that answers one of your questions .:wink

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
3 hours of going just short of nowhere, sitting in Atlanta traffic with an accident involving a fire truck about a mile up ahead.

I could feel the heat of the motor the whole time, but I kept it running even though there were periods of 5-20 minutes of not even rolling forward. My motor did just fine!

Victory makes some pretty damn good bikes. You can't really go wrong with any of them. cheers

·
Registered
679 Posts
would you buy a Victory again YES
are there any features I definitely should not pass up? I would purchase the extended warranty (cheap insurance for expensive repairs) It saved me $2500.00 in repairs that can happen on any product. Victory's are liquid cooled, they have a cylinder just like any liquid cooled bike, but they use oil not antifreeze. I have been in stop and go traffic and with the temperature above 100* The Vic handled it much better than I did. No problems at all:laugh The Vision is a great bike and doesn't have the air management problems that the XC dose.
If you can live with the looks of the vision go for it. I personally prefer the styling of the XC, I am not a fan of a trunk on any bike. I ride my XC 90% of the time without even the backrest on and LOVE the way it handles without all the top heavy trunk. When I go on trips I install the backrest/luggage rack, it takes all of 1 minute, use the karyakin grand tour pack that holds more than the trunk and even has wheels to roll into the motel at night. For me it is the perfect setup. I think the XC is the perfect bike for all types of riding. :smile

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had 3 VTX's, 2 1300R's and 1 1800N, all were great bikes.
Traded the 1800 for a 2015 Cross Country Tour and would not go back to the VTX for any reason. The Cross Country is more comfortable on long trips and has a great amount of storage space and handles so much better at low and high speeds. As for the heat in stop and go traffic is has not been very much different than the VTX's so yes I would buy another Victory in the future.
Toby

·
Registered
30 Posts
I traded in a Yamaha 1600 Roadstar for my XC. Like others have alluded to the ride, balance and handling of the XC are it's greatest assets.

A lot of people talk about wind management and I believe it's just that. It's manageable and should not be a detractor to your decision.

I to have had a few very hot non-moving traffic situations and beside losing a few pounds in sweat, there was no ill effects to the bike.

I'm very happy with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Victory.

Good luck with your decision! :ride:

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I have my search narrowed down to 3 bikes: a Vision Cross Country Touring, a Goldwing, and a Triumph Rocket.
I gave up my GL1800 GoldWing for the Cross Country Tour XCT.

would you buy a Victory again?
Yup. I really, REALLY, wanted an Ultra Classic. But it just didn't fit me as well as the XCT. Not only that, but the handling didn't hold a candle to the Vic. I should say that I am love the look of the Cross Country, but my friend just burned up his Ultra Classic because he was having to sit in traffic and a liquid cooled engine wouldn't have that issue.

If you are just sitting in traffic, it would be advisable to just shut off your motor no matter what you are riding. However, no issues for me, yet.
:D :D :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've run my Victory Kingpin in over 120 degree weather this summer. No really heavy traffic other than long stoplights, but handled it like a champ. No issues at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did a test ride on the Rocket today. It's an impressive bike, but everything is just out of my comfortable reach. If I had longer fingers, arms, and legs it would probably still be a contender, but it is off the list for now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just thought I would update everyone on my progress. I test rode the Harley Ultra Limited Low, The Victory Cross Country Touring, and the Honda Goldwing. After talking to the dealers and the test rides, I have made my decision and ordered a new bike. The results and rankings (for me) and reasons are below:

1. Honda Goldwing - Pros: liquid cooled, shaft drive, hitch does not affect warranty, comfort. Cons: Had to have lowered
2. Victory Cross Country Touring - price, fairly comfortable, good fit without lowering, plenty of storage. Cons: air cooled, legs got rather hot from engine, a little underpowered compared to Goldwing, warranty void with hitch
3. Harley Ultra Limited Low - Pros: liquid cooled, name Cons: shakes like a dog crapping peach seeds at lights, very underpowered, price (highest of all listed)
4. Triumph Rocket 3 Touring - Pros: price, power (very impressive). Cons: everything out of my reach, hitch availability, lack of local dealers if warranty work needed.

For me, the Goldwing won hands down due to my riding style and needs. If I hadn't rode the Goldwing, the Victory would have won but at the end of the day I like the liquid cooled, shaft drive bikes.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Congrats brother ! Keep the rubber side down !

·
Registered
436 Posts
You can't go wrong with th Goldwing - very reliable and quick. My problem with it was it felt cramped for me - I could not stretch out. Other than that it's a winner.

As far as power there are a few things w/o spending a whole lot of $ to really wake up the beast in the 106ci Vic motor. The ATW alone is an incredible improvement.

Enjoy your new ride! You rice burner :laugh

·
Registered
347 Posts
What sold me on my XCT was the ease of maintenance, easy performance upgrades, the ability to fit a reverse gear if my knees continue to give me gyp, and of all the bikes I rode, it just fit me like a glove..

Go to dealerships and sit on these things and ride them, one will speak to you over another.

Reliability, power, comfort.. Low and easy maintenance.. These bikes have it all..

Plus.. Street Cred ... :wink

Was stopped at a stop-light just the other day, dude in a jacked up farmer-sized pickup was yelling at what a Great Bike I was riding.. Lady at the gas station was fawning all over it.. etc. etc..

You ain't gonna get that with a Goldwing

edit..

:eek ..Just read your last post.. Um.. HAHA! Congrats on the 'Wing dude.. :grin

That bike was my second choice.. Great bikes, but, I think I did okay

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would definitely buy my XC again, knowing what I know now.

One thing that I have discovered is that wearing a pair of shorts isn't a good idea. Lot of heat on the right thigh. I advise everyone NOT to wear shorts on a motorcycle and I don't as a rule (I didn't have a pair of pants to wear back to our campsite from a nearby water park,extremely uncomfortable).

Victory motorcycles have a longer wheel base than the majority of bikes. I believe that they are about 5 inches longer. Don't quote me on that...

Have fun. No matter what you get, you'll still be in the wind...

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. If everyone liked the same thing, it would be a very boring planet.

As an aside, now that he has a GoldWing, the chances of him coming back here are small :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats on the purchase. If everyone liked the same thing, it would be a very boring planet.

As an aside, now that he has a GoldWing, the chances of him coming back here are small :)

No, I will come back some if I can still afford the internet after starting mods :eek!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats on your new GW. Came from a GW. At 6' 1" I found the wide engine very confining and uncomfortable. Nowheres to stretch my legs and they would cramp up. Also found the plethora of electrics very imposing if you have an electrical problem. Work on my own and came to the simplicity of a V-twin. Find that the ride and handling is first rate out of the factory, whereas, to get that from a GW you gotta add Traxxion at some where's around $2500. That is my take. Enjoy your new ride and see you on the road. Regards, Jim

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
No, I will come back some if I can still afford the internet after starting mods :eek!
I sure wish you had gotten the chance to ride an XCT or Vision with the cams and basic mods that slap the EPA out of them. You can go from 86 hp/tq to 110 hp/tq or thereabouts. Huge difference along with the sound depending on what muffs you would have decided on. Not that expensive to do all it either compared to some bikes.

The GW really doesn't need any performance mods from my understanding of them. That's a big plus in their favor IMHO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The GW really doesn't need any performance mods from my understanding of them. That's a big plus in their favor IMHO.
So far I'm only thinking of appearance and passenger comfort mods, other than a hitch and having it lowered by 1". Hopefully I won't spend too much, but you know how it is with personalization.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts