Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
added new LED Headlight. With my LED driving lights, I look like an Apache Helicopter coming down the road. When it is on High beam it lights up the whole neighborhood. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Did you get the victory one? I was just going to start a thread asking about what people thought of the led headlight. How is it driving at night with the low beam?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you get the victory one? I was just going to start a thread asking about what people thought of the led headlight. How is it driving at night with the low beam?
Yes I got the Victory one. I have not driven at Night yet as I just put it in. But it cetainly is bright. I am also putting a headlight modulator on it soon. I am having my old incandescent modulator reprogrammed for LED operation.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you do some night riding, please report back.
ok I will but there are a couple of guys on here that have them already. Pauljp has. He is the one that did the video on Witchdoctors.
perhaps Paul can chime in here ?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Excited to hear all about it JP. I'm just glad you're in VA; those modulators drive me crazy with a halogen headlight. Can't imagine what it would look like with LED :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
What does a headlight modulator do? is it the same as the brake light one?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does a headlight modulator do? is it the same as the brake light one?
The headlight modulator 'flickers' the HIGH beam at a certain frequency. They are legal for motorcycles in all 50 states. the idea is to been seen. I am convinced that it prevents a vast majority of people pulling out in front of you because they see this LONG before they see a normal light. Especially with crotch rockets. Like broggy said they can annoy people, but i would rather annoy a few than become a hood ornament. Especially when I have my wife on the back.
A positive side effect is that sometimes if you come up behind a car fairly quickly, they will think you are a cop and pull over. :) I thank them, and blow past them. :)
One thing I do though to minimize annoyance is when i come to a red light i either shut the modulation off or pull up close enough so it doesn't make the driver in front have an epileptic seizure :ltr:

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Here's an example of a headlight modulator on a halogen headlight:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an example of a headlight modulator on a halogen headlight:
Thanks Broggy for the video maybe i will do one when i get mine on the LED and we can compare :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Not 100% sure you will have good luck getting a modulator to work on a LED. The modulator normally alternate current from something like 100% to 40% back and forth. Unles something new has come along since I read up last you cant get LED or HID to work with the modulators.
OK google is my friend. I see now KRISS makes one for LED.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
A modulator is probably good if you are riding alone or are the front bike in a group. I would HATE to have someone behind me in a group of bikes using a modulator.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
A modulator is probably good if you are riding alone or are the front bike in a group. I would HATE to have someone behind me in a group of bikes using a modulator.

G'day,

Vinish
Have one on the Goldwing hack. It came with the rig. Not sure what brand it's but it has a switch that turns it on and off and it switches itself off at dusk. No worries.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

G'day,

Vinish
You are correct Vinnish. Of and when I ride in a group , and I am in the middle, I turn it off. No need to have it on. But sometimes when I ride with certain guys I ride upfront and turn it back on. When I ride alone, I turn it on and try to be respectful and not annoying to people as much as I can, but my intention is being seen not avoiding be an annoyance.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not 100% sure you will have good luck getting a modulator to work on a LED. The modulator normally alternate current from something like 100% to 40% back and forth. Unles something new has come along since I read up last you cant get LED or HID to work with the modulators.
OK google is my friend. I see now KRISS makes one for LED.
There are a few that make them for LED. The one that I had for my incandescent lights is simply reprogrammed for LED. Kisan Technologies makes one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Makes much more sense now, I was thinking it was doing it at night too...

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Makes much more sense now, I was thinking it was doing it at night too...
No , there is an ambient light sensor that turns off the modulation at night OR you can put a switch there as io plan on doing when I get my mod , so I can turn it on when I want to. The modulation is on the high beam only. In my set up I also have LED driving lights. So at night when I have the high beams on the LED driving lights are at full power. If a car approaches me, I switch the headlight to low and the LED driving lights go to 50%, so I don't burn out the retina of the driver of the oncoming car. The LED driving lights are controlled by a separate LED controller

·
Registered
281 Posts
A good friend of mine, that lives in the big city. Said he had a crotch rocket that followed him to work EVERY DAY! About an hour commute on the freeway. He said he seriously considered shooting the guy! Most annoying thing he has ever experienced. Granted my friend has a problem with road rage, and always has a gun close. Glade he didn't use it!

·
Registered
281 Posts
And I love my LED headlight! WAY better than the stocker, and looks bad ass in the day time

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A good friend of mine, that lives in the big city. Said he had a crotch rocket that followed him to work EVERY DAY! About an hour commute on the freeway. He said he seriously considered shooting the guy! Most annoying thing he has ever experienced. Granted my friend has a problem with road rage, and always has a gun close. Glade he didn't use it!
yea I think your friend has issues and just looks for something to bitch about. I trust he is not a rider.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts