Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a touring Victory, 2004 model and I really like whenever I travel and I have been riding for three years now and I have an Arai helmet.

I am planning to have a new and great helmet. Anyone here have experience with Icon Alliance helmet? I heard it is really great helmet and I am thrilled to have this helmet. So anyone can share their experience? it would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Arai is good but take a look at the Schuberth C3W helmet. This is the first helmet designed specifically for women and is made by a company with a long history in Europe that has recently started US distribution.

http://www.extremesupply.com/product/SCHUBERTHC3WMODULARHELMETS.html

Also when you get a chance please go to the User CP and fill in your bike info, location, and anything else you choose to share.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Also when you get a chance please go to the User CP and fill in your bike info, location, and anything else you choose to share.
And I'd like to see some pics of your TC I have a 04 too and love it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Arai is the best in the world, Icon is one of the worst. Why go from a Mercedes to a Yugo?????

If you like Arai, why not stick with Arai? If it's a price thing, then check out the Shoei RF-1100 and the Bell RS-1 lids... damn near as good (still considered top shelf in protection, comfort, airflow and weight), just not as pricey as most Arais.

Icon is pure, unadulterated crap.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Shoei RF 1100 possibly the best sport- touring helmet for the money. My favorite helmet out of many I have stockpiled.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Shoei RF 1100 possibly the best touring helmet for the money. My favorite helmet out of many I have stockpiled.
I have a Shoei RF-1100 and I love the helmet. So comfy and quiet, great ventilation, fully removable liner, uuuuum what else, oh they look totally sweet too! Can't go wrong with this one. ;)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Arai is the best in the world, Icon is one of the worst. Why go from a Mercedes to a Yugo?????

Icon is pure, unadulterated crap.
Lol. Did you try to get some free gear from icon and they said no? This is one of several of your post stating that how shitty icon helmets are. :ltr:

I do have an icon airframe and it's a great helmet. It's quiet, comfortable and it has a great wind flow, it is DOT and SNELL approved. I don't know what bandit is talking about. :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Let me know where to ask for free helmets... I've only ever paid for mine.

Ever see a pro racer wear an Icon helmet? Ever? Nope. And there's good reason for it....

I may never hit the ground at 200mph, but as long as I know I am wearing a helmet designed and TESTED to handle that, I feel better. I also prefer the additional comfort, lighter weight, better airflow and greater visibility afforded me while wearing a higher quality helmet.

cheers

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lol. Did you try to get some free gear from icon and they said no? This is one of several of your post stating that how shitty icon helmets are. :ltr:

I do have an icon airframe and it's a great helmet. It's quiet, comfortable and it has a great wind flow, it is DOT and SNELL approved. I don't know what bandit is talking about. :D

Whew!!. Good thing the op didn't ask about what kind of oil to use. Oil, tires and now helmets. LOL.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Aria helmets are good but pricey and can be heavy. Shoei is also a very well respected helmet and I bought 2 of the Strife graphic version of the RF-1000's for around $125 each ($250 total). For the price and quality, you can't beat that.

Icon, HJC & Bilt are all "lower end" helmets that can be bought for HUNDREDS of $'s less than the more well-respected brands (like Shoei, Arai or Schuberth).

Buy the best you can afford. IMHO, that would be the $700 C3W. If that is too much coin, then try to find the best you can at the best price (Arai or shoei) for a couple hundred.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a good looking helmet being marketed by any number of companies, buy one of those others. I am not a helmet snob. I almost bought HJC's snel/DOT3 version of the strife for around $250 before I found the Shoei's @ 1/2 that cost.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Be sure of your HEAD SHAPE

Arai has models that are long ovals (which I need), otherwise, I get drilled in the middle of the forehead after 20 minutes. I don't know what model Aria you are wearing, but be sure you try on for 20 MINS any replacement.

Some lesser brands claim to be longer ovals, but I am comfortable only in a BMW (by Schuberth) or the Arai, the model of which I can't recall, but its good one. Buy from knowledgeable people; your comfort and safety depend on it.

Oh, and the Schuberth model that was recommended to you is NOT long oval, but it is for women, and looks VERY nice inside.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
why switch from an Arai? I haven't found a better helmet; after sliding on 10' of pavement, my Arai did what it was suppose to.....

·
Registered
755 Posts
Let me know where to ask for free helmets... I've only ever paid for mine.

Ever see a pro racer wear an Icon helmet? Ever? Nope. And there's good reason for it....

I may never hit the ground at 200mph, but as long as I know I am wearing a helmet designed and TESTED to handle that, I feel better. I also prefer the additional comfort, lighter weight, better airflow and greater visibility afforded me while wearing a higher quality helmet.

cheers
Omg you are so right! Why trust DOT and SNELL? Because we all know all the endorsed products worn by pro athletes are the best and those are the only merchandise we must all wear even though quality of the product might same as the none endrosed product and if a company chooses not to pay millions for advertisements or paying more millions to some pro rider to wear it that item must be pure ****.
FYI my icon flows air just fine, it is light enough for me and it's got great visibility and I have no problem seeing out of it. If you don't believe me ask fishslpr and crossroads, I think I was seeing just fine during today's little ride.

·
Registered
261 Posts
With Helmets, Like most protective clothing are dependent upon fit to be comfortable. Unfortunately, it is difficult for anyone to find a place or places that are within a reasonable driving distance where you can actually try on several makes and models.

Arai, AGV, Shoei, Bell, Schuberth, HJC, BMW among others, manufacture very good helmets. Like other products they may have some models within their brands that are better than others. For instance: HJC makes a 3/4 model with a Kevlar based shell that is SNELL Certified, while Bell makes a half helmet that is not. Don't make the Logo be the deciding factor. Oh yea, One helmet may not do it all for you...... I own and use three on a regular basis depending on what, where and when I am riding.

Professional Racers, be it motorcycle or car, do not have to worry about many things that we as everyday riders have to be concerned with, such as long term comfort, ease of cleaning the interior components, cost (THEY get paid to wear the brand and get them free), availability of parts and accessories, (shields, screw kits, ratchet mechanisms), weight, etc. They put the thing on, wear it for maybe an hour or two, then take it off and may never wear that particular one ever again. What they wear or endorse should have no bearing on what YOU choose.

For me, after SNELL Foundation certification, the following are most important: 1) Comfort. Fit, feel, weight, noise reduction, interior materials, aerodynamics, etc. After having ridden over 1000 miles in 24 hours four times, long distance comfort is primary. 2) Visability. Particularly important with a full face or modular design. This can be a real problem for some. 3) Ventilation. Man, you have got to have some decent ventilation, get some fresh air up and over that skull of yours. Try riding along the humid southeast of this country in 100+ degree temps, for the full range of your bike, over and over and over again. Or, in traffic, sweltering heat, inching along with no air movement......... Go ahead, take it off, I will guarantee you as soon as you do you a cop will come along and cite you. 4) Ease of maintenance. Nothing worse than a nasty, greasy old helmet to squeeze your freshly showered head into. and yea, they get nasty after hours of sweating into.

Personally, I don't give a damn who's logo is on it...... as long as it meets all of the above requirements.

Try going to RevZilla.com. They (at least) Have video presentations on nearly every helmet they sell, with detailed explainations of features, shape, and ease of operation. You may also want to go to on of the larger rallys, Particularly those that cater to the touring rider...... Such as Americade. There you can visit the vendors and take a look and try them on. You can ask people you see what they think of what they own.

Helmets are a very individual thing. Take your time and get what is best for you, no one else. thumb up

·
Registered
69 Posts
How many other helmets did you use to slide on 10' of pavement with?
Unfortunately, I slid more than 10 feet in my icon helmet. The good news is it did what it was supposed to do. For the record, my leather jacket and draggin jeans worked well too.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
SteveYacht, you took the time and answered the original question best in my opinion. See no reason to continue on with this thread.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thank you!

SteveYacht, you took the time and answered the original question best in my opinion. See no reason to continue on with this thread.
I consider this to be a very high compliment. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all those replies.

I just think trying other brands would be great. Isn't it great to experience all brands? :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts