Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ya'll.
I'm new here, still ride an '06 Street Glide and leaning toward upgrading to a new Victory Cross Country.
Could use some experienced help and advice on the differences, and whether the change would be worth it.

Thanks and looking forward to listening, learning and enjoying this site..

MEAT

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure if this answer is what you're looking for, but there is a series of youtube clips that go into detail on the ins and outs of technical difference between the two makers. It's from a Tuscon Victory dealer and can easily be found here or on youtube with little effort (at work, otherwise would spend some time linking!) I found them extremely helpful in making the decision I did.

If you're looking for specific differences in the two models, I'm sure some one else here can answer that question. Lots of former harley owners, and owners of multiple bikes here.

Welcome!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Both manufacturers are making great quality machines. Doing research on the internet can give you a lot of technical information and others opinion on both bikes, but your opinion is the only one that matters.

The best advice I can give you is to ride both bikes back-to-back. I rented a 2011 Street Glide and rode it to the Vic dealer. It gave me the opportunity to make an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I wrote a write up comparing a SG to the XC. Search on my ID.

A big difference between an '06 SG and a current XC is that the X comes stock with about 50% more HP!

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,
I've been riding (mostly HD) for about 50 years now...I'm 61
I've had this Stree Glide since fall of '05.
I've done a lot to it, big bore (not HD) up to '95 inch and I'm putting out numbers that will compete straightup with the victory 106 so I'm not really looking to the power upgrade.
At my age now, I'm looking for long term reliability, comfort, and just the enjoyment of riding long days without a destination.

Thanks again and I'll look for all the links for the videos and reviews ya'll directed me to.

MEAT

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Heres the link to segment 1 and I think there were 5 total. I know the pitch is VIC engines are better than HD but I really thought it was great learning the specifics so when I get asked what is so different while I am gassing up I can give someone my quick 30 second elevator speech. Hope it gives you something to work with and welcome to the forums..

Tim

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks all,
I've been riding (mostly HD) for about 50 years now...I'm 61
I've had this Stree Glide since fall of '05.
I've done a lot to it, big bore (not HD) up to '95 inch and I'm putting out numbers that will compete straightup with the victory 106 so I'm not really looking to the power upgrade.
At my age now, I'm looking for long term reliability, comfort, and just the enjoyment of riding long days without a destination.

Thanks again and I'll look for all the links for the videos and reviews ya'll directed me to.

MEAT
Meat,
I had on 07 Ultra before coming to the Cross Country.

I find the XC is more comfortable for me to ride. It seemed huge at first, but after a couple weeks when I was putting the HD up for sale and had to move it, it felt like a mini bike.

Right after I got the bike, we went on a 17 day 5500 mile ride. The bike handled everything we threw at it. Riding in snow on Mt. Rainier, Death Valley at 122 degrees, highway 1 along the California coast, over 13,000 feet on Mt Evans in Colorado, the bike handled very well in all conditions.

After that long trip, got up the next morning and rode her to work. Granted at the end of some the days, I was pretty weary, but never to the point where I didn't want to get up the next day and go ride some more.

Find a dealer, take a test ride, take 2 test rides, they'll let ya. The bike is very different than the HD and it may take a couple rides before you get used to it, but I'll bet you'll like it.

For me, it IS a better ride, better than my HD, better than my Goldwings. There are lots of mechanical differences and I'm sure they'll be pointed out, but I wanted to speak from a ride-ability stand point. I've put 16K on mine since I got it, May 26, 2011.

It's been very reliable and comfortable to ride in all conditions.

Good luck with the shopping. cheers

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The wheelbase of these Victory's are 1.5" longer than the SG. That makes for a smoother ride but it handles like it is a smaller bike (more nimble than the SG IMHO).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great information folks!
I've read posts, watched videos and read reviews...
Now I'm wondering why I didn't get interested in these Victory scooters earlierthumb up

·
Registered
579 Posts
If Victory had been building the XC in 07, I probably would bought that instead of the Ultra.

I've been riding touring bikes so long, l hardly consider anything else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2012 Cross Country. I can speak from a performance per dollar standpoint compared to my friends '09 Street Glide

SG Stage 1 - Bub 7 exhaust, Air Cleaner, Tune - $2000
CC Stage 1 - Atom Bombs, Air Cleaner, Tune - $350

Performance difference is not even close. My stock CC would run circles around a Stage 1 SG. Now more so with my Stage 1 upgrades.

I almost bought a Road Glide Custom but couldn't see spending $7,000 or so on the bike to get it like what my CC is now with only spending around $1,000 (pipes, air filter, tune, back rest, rear floorboards, windshield). I absolutely could not be happier. Here's a video...

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a 2012 Cross Country. I can speak from a performance per dollar standpoint compared to my friends '09 Street Glide

SG Stage 1 - Bub 7 exhaust, Air Cleaner, Tune - $2000
CC Stage 1 - Atom Bombs, Air Cleaner, Tune - $350

Performance difference is not even close. My stock CC would run circles around a Stage 1 SG. Now more so with my Stage 1 upgrades.

I almost bought a Road Glide Custom but couldn't see spending $7,000 or so on the bike to get it like what my CC is now with only spending around $1,000 (pipes, air filter, tune, back rest, rear floorboards, windshield). I absolutely could not be happier. Here's a video...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK_YbUqnUiA
I would like to know where you got (pipes, air filter, tune, back rest, rear floorboards, windshield). for $1,000?? I need to start buying from your dealer:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to know where you got (pipes, air filter, tune, back rest, rear floorboards, windshield). for $1,000?? I need to start buying from your dealer:confused:
Atom Bomb Pipes $200 plus shipping from B&E Performance
Air Filter - $50 Victory
Stage 1 Tune - $60 - The Vic Shop
Back Rest - $375 - Dealer
Rear floor boards - $150 - Cruizer Customizing (Kuryakyn)
Windshield - $$220 - Gustaffson Plastics

It's actually around $1,055 not including shipping the pipes. My bad...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Atom Bomb Pipes $200 plus shipping from B&E Performance
Air Filter - $50 Victory
Stage 1 Tune - $60 - The Vic Shop
Back Rest - $375 - Dealer
Rear floor boards - $150 - Cruizer Customizing (Kuryakyn)
Windshield - $$220 - Gustaffson Plastics

It's actually around $1,055 not including shipping the pipes. My bad...
Hell of a deal. I better start shopping more before I buy:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts