Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

New here, found the site by good ol' Google.

In the market for a long-range v-twin comfort bike. Narrowed my choice down to HD Street Glide or Victory XC. Rented both and really liked the XC....ALOT, mainly based on comfort and performance (the styling is growing on me).

I'm not a rich man, so anytime I spend this kinda dough, I do my homework and plan to keep it for a long time (more than 5 years).

My major concern is Polaris and Victory. I know Victory is just an extension of a multi-million (or billon?) dollar company...but like any corporate environment, ruled by bean-counters.

From speaking with multiple Victory dealers in the area....other than occasional XC/Vision sales, they really have a hard time moving product without heavily discounting from MSRP. With the crappy economy and continued sales issues....this can't spell very good things for the future of Victory, which is really unfortunate, since they have engineered a motor that is superior to HD.

No one here has a magic-crystal ball on the future, but what do you think the long-term outlook on the Victory line-up?

If I go with the XC, I just want continued support from Victory for parts/repair 7 years down the road.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Welcome aboard.

As you said, nobody has a crystal ball, but Victory's been growing since day one and continues to grow even through the poor economy. You will feel better and better about Victory as you continue your research.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Like CrossRoads said, "You will feel better and better about Victory as you continue your research. " and I concur.

I don't know the financial status of the company, but I would think it is as good (proportionately) as any other motorcycle manufacturer. I would definitely like to know how many 2012's they have sold this year. It seems their sales promotions were MUCH greater this year than in previous years...and I bet more successful too!

And like you Fastmoto, I was hesitant at first to even consider a Victory motorcycle. I spoke to several long term Victory owners...even at a point that I thought I was no longer interested in ANY bike and was going to keep my 2009 Venture. At any rate, I attended Bikes, Blues and BBQ in Fayetteville, AR and saw the truck that said "Ride One and You'll Own One".

I rode one and now I own one. Everytime I get on the bike, I love it more and more. BEST BIKE I have ever owned. And if I get the same reliability out of this bike that other Victory owners have gotten out of theirs, I will be an even HAPPIER camper!!!

Longterm...who knows what will happen. But yesterday, today and tomorrow, I will love my 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour bike!!

·
12,970 Posts
So Victory / Polaris has been building bikes since 1998. From the birth of the vision they have become a bike that more guys and girls are looking at and riding. Now with the new cross bikes they have made major leaps into the motorcycle market.
With soldiers coming home and the elections just around the corner maybe the economy will pick up.
With the emission changes coming in 2014 I think it will level more of the playing field.
Victory / Polaris will only grow in time. If you went to sturgis you would of seen more Victory's then ever before and it's just the beginning of a great bike. thumb up

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Hello all-

New here, found the site by good ol' Google.

In the market for a long-range v-twin comfort bike. Narrowed my choice down to HD Street Glide or Victory XC. Rented both and really liked the XC....ALOT, mainly based on comfort and performance (the styling is growing on me).

I'm not a rich man, so anytime I spend this kinda dough, I do my homework and plan to keep it for a long time (more than 5 years).

My major concern is Polaris and Victory. I know Victory is just an extension of a multi-million (or billon?) dollar company...but like any corporate environment, ruled by bean-counters.

From speaking with multiple Victory dealers in the area....other than occasional XC/Vision sales, they really have a hard time moving product without heavily discounting from MSRP. With the crappy economy and continued sales issues....this can't spell very good things for the future of Victory, which is really unfortunate, since they have engineered a motor that is superior to HD.

No one here has a magic-crystal ball on the future, but what do you think the long-term outlook on the Victory line-up?

If I go with the XC, I just want continued support from Victory for parts/repair 7 years down the road.

Thanks.
Take a look at their stock. Last I read it was up like 60% this year. Stick around and see all the new members checking in on high margin Cross Country tourers.

I would bet money on their success, but if Europe goes down, everyone is going to be in for harder economic times.

Personally, I think Vic has machines that beat everything else in the class handily especially when price is brought into the equation. I only wish they would train their sales staffs little better. My Yami dealer is SO much more on top of their game...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Not sure where your area is but its hard to find a new Victory for less than MSRP in most places unless you luck into a showroom queen. Comparing the bikes to HD they may look like they have been discounted but in reality they are less expensive bikes in comparison to their HD counterparts.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
When you consider that they bought Indian motorcycles and 2 companies that build electric vehicles.... I'd say they're in it for the long haul.

Polaris has been in business for over half a century and do around 1.8 billion a year. Their stockholders are fairly happy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey there welcome to the forum , I have a 05 vic and I hope they're in in for the long haul also. The truth is Vic has a solid reputation and its growing . They are trying to put out a solid line of bikes and they are proving to be very reliable. I hope to keep mine for a few more years too! so check out the line by test riding a Victory. Good luck. Mike

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Unlike Harley, Polaris has a LOT wider portfolio of product. From the hunting 4 wheelers to the desert 4 wheelers to the jet skis to the snow mobiles. I'd say that Polaris is about 1000% stronger than HD simply due to the diversity they have whereas Harley has...well only motorcycles....

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the same concerns about Victory I didn't want to end up with a $14000 boat anchor. But after a lot of talking to some other riders Harley and Vic. With a 5 year warranty and a 2.9% intrest rate and Harly had 9% rate and 1 year warranty. I decited to go for it, no guts no glory. This has been the best bike I have ever owned. I bought an 06 kingpin new in 08. We have 64000 miles and will buy another Vic when this one wears out. I don't see that happening any time soon. As far as the dealer network. Not as many as Harley but BMW dosen't have as many as Harley either. Go for The Vic you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I introduced myself to Victory, after much online research and visiting dealers.
Purchased a leftover 07 Kingpin tour in July of 08 with a nice discount and good finance.Was paying attention to the new cross bike and in Sept I bought a new 012 Cross Country Tour with a 2,000 discount off of list price. Very Happy. I believe that Victory is in the motorcycle industry for the long haul. If you buy there is a very good chance that you will be hooked for good. I'm not sure where you live but discounts on new bikes seem to be out there and Victory themselves all ways seems to be running some kind of special program.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Prior to making your decision between HD and the XC I would encourage you to take a look at the YouTube video comparison between the two motors. You'll see a marked differance between the two. Just type in "Youtube video comparison between HD and Victory motorcycle motors". You should be able to locate the video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the welcome everyone-

After reading the responses and reading up on Polaris, I do feel better about a potential Vic purchase.

My concern was, in today’s day and age, if an extension of a corporation is not working, the extension is eventually removed (or sold). I just didn’t want to have a bike that was no longer supported in 5+ years down the road. Not really concerned with dealer support, as I do my own work in my garage, but with parts and such. With HD, love them or hate them, they are not going anywhere anytime soon and parts support is excellent pretty much forever.

I will say, since coming off the rented XC, I cannot get over how well it rode and performed vs. the HD Street Glide I rented just weeks prior (rented both for 24hrs each, put approximately 500 miles on each, on a similar route). Vic really put together a well-made quality bike. And the motor really is something else. And Top: I did watch all segments of the Youtube videos put out by AZVictory. It was quite informative regarding the engine differences.

I will be doing a back-to-back rental once again in Spring before making a final decision in late 2012, where I will be in the financial position to make a purchase.

Thanks again everyone and I will continue to lurk and read-up on the Vic line-up.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Thanks for the welcome everyone-
With HD, love them or hate them, they are not going anywhere anytime soon and parts support is excellent pretty much forever.
When the economy tanked, HD had been giving loans to anyone with a pulse. The company was saved by a huge loan from Uncle Sam. On the other hand, Polaris/Victory didn't need any money from the Government. There's something you can read up on...

Victory Motorcycles, as a stand alone business, is definitely in the black and improving each year. Think about it, they went from a blank sheet of paper to a manufacturer of world-class motorcycles in 10 or 11 years... and 9 years into it the economy went in the toilet and they STILL grew the company. So... you doubt these guys? Really?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The motorcycle itself is a noteworthy and great running machine. My opinion of Polaris/Victory is not as glowing... they are profitable, but,IMO, at the expense of customer service. A 5 year warranty without the service base to take care of warranty issues is worthless... plus their customer service, both at the headquarters and at the dealers, falls far short of what should be expected by an owner. I gave up and do my own work on the bike... that way it is done right the first time by someone who cares. I have one of the best Visions on the road, but it didn't come that way from the factory.

That said, Harley service is typically as shoddy and the incidence of needing that service is probably triple what is required for a Victory.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
That said, Harley service is typically as shoddy and the incidence of needing that service is probably triple what is required for a Victory.
Harley will get out of doing warranty work. They had their pressed-together cranks slipping and the spec was .003" run-out for years and years. What did they do to avoid replacing lots of bottom ends? They simply changed the spec to .012". Six thou will likely break the oil pump, but hey, it's within spec!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts