·
Registered
357 Posts
Better than twice what HD stock is
thumb up

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Not too long ago Polaris stock was almost down to $70. There are two things that may be influencing the rapid rise: News of the Indian operation possibly coming out with a vintage looking bobber style bike and Fred Rau's column in Friction Zone magazine, suggesting Polaris might be the next mfr to offer a three wheeler in light of the CanAm Spyder's great success.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I bought @ $72 and sold today @ $85. I think it will continue to go up in the long term and may well simply just keep on going but I have a rule to take profits off the table @ 15% so....

Just hoping that there will be a dip again so that I can buy back in once more in the future.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I bought @ $72 and sold today @ $85. I think it will continue to go up in the long term and may well simply just keep on going but I have a rule to take profits off the table @ 18% so.....
You are a very smart man to set goals where your money is concerned. So many don't and so many are in a financial hole because of that. I had the advantage of having parents that were tempered by the Great Depression and they taught me well to respect and care for my money. I have never been a high earner, but because I have been frugal and avoided frivolities and debt in my younger years, I can now afford to pay cash for toys and pleasures...and investments too.

Money management needs to be taught in our schools. Money is the one thing we all deal with on a daily basis, yet so many know so little about it other than to spend it; even to the point of spending more than they make. Kinda like our government, eh? :D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
One bad article and ...

It's a shame when articles like this can impact a good stock. Down 5% to $81.31 so far today. Quote "Getting ahead of itself..." with no REAL foundation for the caution but this may create a new "entry point" so I am going to watch it over the next day or so before deciding about re-entry.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
It's a shame when articles like this can impact a good stock. Down 5% to $81.31 so far today. Quote "Getting ahead of itself..." with no REAL foundation for the caution but this may create a new "entry point" so I am going to watch it over the next day or so before deciding about re-entry.
Can you say "knee jerk?" :crzy:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I post when I buy & sell in stock message boards so figured I might as well do it here as well. Bought 300 shares of PII today @ $79.01 share around 11am before this (pumping LOL) article came out.
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11721539/1/polaris-industries-inc-pii-todays-featured-automotive-winner.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

I did this because I felt that the "knee jerk" reaction had about run it's duration and feel that this is a reasonable re-entry point (e.g. It fits my fibonacci model...bought @ ~$72 & sold @ ~$85 = ~13 point run up & fibonacci decline is ~$4.5 so anything under $80 is a buying point). We will see if PII can continue it's upward travels.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you hang on to it long enough, another benefit is the dividend which I believe was .37 cents last qtr. It's a good stock.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
If you hang on to it long enough, another benefit is the dividend which I believe was .37 cents last qtr. It's a good stock.
The dividend was paid on 9-17-12 ($74 for 200 shares) & I appear to have gotten it due to the three business day settlement function so it will be another three months before it hits again but that's still a GOOD thing & was one of the reasons I bought the sock. I think I posted that I don't typically buy stocks over $20/share but I took the chance & bought 200 shares of PII in late July and it worked out. This time I decided to bump up the original investment by 50% and bought 300 shares. If it crests a 15% increase prior to the next dividend payment, I will sell it as that is still one of my fundemental principles. The timing this last occurance just seemed to work out perfectly for me :D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The dividend was paid on 9-17-12 ($74 for 200 shares) & I appear to have gotten it due to the three business day settlement function so it will be another three months before it hits again but that's still a GOOD thing & was one of the reasons I bought the sock. I think I posted that I don't typically buy stocks over $20/share but I took the chance & bought 200 shares of PII in late July and it worked out. This time I decided to bump up the original investment by 50% and bought 300 shares. If it crests a 15% increase prior to the next dividend payment, I will sell it as that is still one of my fundemental principles. The timing this last occurance just seemed to work out perfectly for me :D
For those of you playing the home game...LOL
I just sold out my 300 share position @ $86.16 today @ 11:05. Original purchase price was $79.01 on 9/27 so nearly a 9% increase in less than 30 days isn't bad.

Logic is ... If I have had a significant short term increase PRIOR to earnings, I'll take that profit off the table rather than risk it waiting for a positive report. I learned this from the heyday of the DOT.COM days when rosy pictures were being painted & although the companies "made their numbers", the stock got BATTERED down the day after the earnings call. The REASON given for those "successful" companies getting SELL recommendations on them is that they "can't continue at these same levels, etc...

In almost EVERY case, those "scare tactics" proved to be false and nothing more than an opportunity for the "professional" investors to "back up the truck and add to their position when the general public who did not understand how the game was being played would dump their stocks. The stock could well continue right on up and could even have a big bump after tomorrow's call but for me, this is how I roll. Getting profits at every opportunity and not counting on any HUGE home runs in stock like PII.

I DO hold technology stocks that I KNOW have greater value than the market is aware but that is a matter for another thread.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Apparently you benefit by not being greedy. Good thinking bunka.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Watched it go to nearly $90/share on Friday after earnings & projected a $6 to $8 retracement so bought a few hundred shares again today @ $84.66/share. My charts show that this could still drop to as low as $82.42/share but with the recent turn, a few shares here @ this level are a decent entry position. Hold some cash back "just in case" there are any subsequent drops. I see that the stock came back a bit in the afternoon and honestly did not know that the CEO was scheduled to be on CNBC when I made my technical trade around 2:30 this afternoon.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stock has certainly been performing and since I'm in it for the long haul, the dividends keep rolling in. Last time, a few years ago, that it was close to this high, there was a split. Maybe that will happen again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Bought another 200 shares today @ $82.32

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No trading today or maybe even tomorrow. Wall St. shut down due to "Sandy". First weather related shutdown in 27 years.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
SOLD today ahead of tomorrow's jobs report

I know that PII is a solid stock in the long run but most analysts are expecting the entire stock market to take a bit of a hit tomorrow (or Friday) when the newest jobs report is released. Recently (this past month) there has been a change in the way those numbers are now going to be reported. Instead of a single entity controlling the details, it will now be a merger of two reporting/tracking groups who have (in the past) reported in differing models. The impact of this "appear" to be a dramatic reduction in the figures that had previously been reported. Since Wall Street LOVES to POO-POO things even when there is no "smoking gun", you can pretty much expect that to be the case on the release of this news. I am expecting irresponsible statements like "Will prior estimates need to ALSO be reduced.." will be used to help traders deflate the current values and provide themselves new entry points.

I sold a number of positions today but this thread is about PII so I will report that I sold all 400 shares today @ $86.59/share just before today's close. You can probably do the math from the figures above but to save time, the original cost per share on these was $83.49/share so although I did not make a lot of cash on this one, $1,240 isn't bad for a week (or two) these $'s were "in play".

I hope I am wrong about the pending $'s so that I can buy back into PII in a few days (close to $82/share once more) but if I am wrong about the impact of the announcements, PII could simply continue it's current tare and I will have missed out on this current run...
Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I know that PII is a solid stock in the long run but most analysts are expecting the entire stock market to take a bit of a hit tomorrow (or Friday) when the newest jobs report is released. Recently (this past month) there has been a change in the way those numbers are now going to be reported. Instead of a single entity controlling the details, it will now be a merger of two reporting/tracking groups who have (in the past) reported in differing models. The impact of this "appear" to be a dramatic reduction in the figures that had previously been reported. Since Wall Street LOVES to POO-POO things even when there is no "smoking gun", you can pretty much expect that to be the case on the release of this news. I am expecting irresponsible statements like "Will prior estimates need to ALSO be reduced.." will be used to help traders deflate the current values and provide themselves new entry points.

I sold a number of positions today but this thread is about PII so I will report that I sold all 400 shares today @ $86.59/share just before today's close. You can probably do the math from the figures above but to save time, the original cost per share on these was $83.49/share so although I did not make a lot of cash on this one, $1,240 isn't bad for a week (or two) these $'s were "in play".

I hope I am wrong about the pending $'s so that I can buy back into PII in a few days (close to $82/share once more) but if I am wrong about the impact of the announcements, PII could simply continue it's current tare and I will have missed out on this current run...
Time will tell.
I probably would have taken some off the table rather than all, but given that:

a) We still have the fiscal cliff crap to get over

b) PII is at or near an all time high

c) MC season is over

d) Victory has forsaken their vision of making the best cruisers for one of making cruisers that are just like Harleys with lesser paint for a few less $

I think you'll get your chance to get in lower again.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Another .37 cents a share dividend. They're doing O.K.
They ARE doing "just fine" despite the ire of a few. That is VERY COMMON in any enthusiast market but doesn't mean that it's a bad model. For me, Victory has more and more value and the continued increase in stock value is testimony that "The Street" (Wallstreet) LIKES it very much even if the actual "street" (people on the street) finds the trend disturbing. Either way, the dividend isn't payable to owners of shares until the end of November so I have 30 days to re-acquire that position prior to the dividend date.

As to taking all off the table... Profit is profit and if one believes (as I do) that the stock will drop along with other stocks due to the pending announcement, it only makes sense to remove the entire position. As you can see from this "real time" thread, I've done alright to this point in timing this particular stock.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts