Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot going on in this helmet. Is it too much? Not in cost but in distractions although I'm sure it will be expensive. I guess it also depends on where one is riding. On a lonely highway or freeway it probably would not be bad to have everything turned on but what about in rush hour traffic or around town where there are a zillion people trying to kill us?

Groundbreaking Helmet Outfitted With Heads-Up Display, GPS and Rear-View Camera To Be Launch In 2014

Published by Cyril Huze December 27th, 2013 in Accessories and Customs.
The Skully’s P1 helmet was unveiled to rave reviews. It features cutting edge technologies incorporating: patent-pending intelligent a Heads-Up Display (HUD) system that places relevant data just outside of a rider’s line of sight, a GPS and a 180-Degree Rearview Camera that captures the full panorama including rear and side-to-side visibility for increased rider awareness and safety.
Key Features include: • Lightweight, aerodynamic, tricomposite shell • 3D laser-cut foam for a perfect fit • Fully adjustable flow-through ventilation • Anti-fog, anti-scratch, anti-glare face shield • Quick release chin strap and visor • Synapse(TM) Heads Up Display system • Visual GPS navigation • 180 degree wide angle rearview camera • Bluetooth connectivity with voice control. Price TBA. Watch the demo.

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/12/27/groundbreaking-helmet-outfitted-with-outfitted-with-heads-up-display-gps-and-rear-view-camera-to-be-launch-in-2014/#respond

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Geez BBob, I just finished whining about the motorcycle experience in another thread and then you post this.

It'll sell like hotcakes to the Facebook minions. The more expensive the more "gotta have it".

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geez BBob, I just finished whining about the motorcycle experience in another thread and then you post this.

It'll sell like hotcakes to the Facebook minions. The more expensive the more "gotta have it".
Yeah. I hear ya. I'm really starting to feel like the dinosaur I am now. Good thing the basic wind, two wheels, and the feel of freedom doesn't change. At least not yet and hopefully not in my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I'm a tech junkie so yes I think very cool. But then again it's a little much.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Regarding the HUD (heads up display), I have had the pleasure to enjoy one on my '05 Vette I used to own. Having the speed and RPM (and nav turn by turn directions) shown on the lower part of the windshield was not a distraction. On the contrary, instead of lowering my field of vision down to the dash, all I had to do was focus my vision on the HUD. The roadway and everything else on it remained in my field of vision allowing me to react to anything happening without taking my eyes off the road. This is a great safety feature in my opinion, although I too am weary of adding even more technology on or to my head. cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

I'm sure you realize that that technology came from goodies that macho pilots get to use in their military aircraft, not from Tweeters.

I'm a slow adopter. My cell phone is about 10 years old and I've even disabled texting on it.

Having said that, I read a Fred Rau column in MCN not long ago about various smartphone aps he liked. One was a weather alerting service that he used to take shelter before a hail storm.

I've ridden in hail in full battle attire and it still hurt like hell. I've also had to have a roof replaced following a hail storm of baseball sized ammo. Had someone been caught in that in their tee shirt and bare head, they would have surely perished. I had actually just ridden home from work about an hour before that one happened.

I would be a fan of such a warning system complete with any advice it could provide for trying to avoid it.

I'm also a fan of hi-fi music in the helmet as opposed to low-fi music streamed from fairing mounted speakers trying to scream over the wind noise, but since Vic hasn't seen fit to offer Blue Tooth or even a wired connection, maybe a helmet mounted solution isn't so bad. Cheaper than buying a new Harley, Beemer, or Goldwing.

My biggest fear with such a device would be the voice driven directions. I've spent too many of my days screaming at voice activated phone handlers who "is sorry, I don't understand, please repeat." I'd definitely want a personal demo of such a thing before I plunked down a couple new sets of tires for it.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I'm sure you realize that that technology came from goodies that macho pilots get to use in their military aircraft, not from Tweeters.
HUD did not come out of a late night brainstorming session between Gus Grissom and Chuck Yeager between shots of Everclear. It has definitely proven its value in that arena but that arena is a job and those users are assets. The gummint can lather on as much and whatever tech it sees fit to their toys. Tweeters will make their own decisions about the view on the horizon when piloting their MC's.

Having said that, I read a Fred Rau column in MCN not long ago about various smartphone aps he liked. One was a weather alerting service that he used to take shelter before a hail storm.

I've ridden in hail in full battle attire and it still hurt like hell. I've also had to have a roof replaced following a hail storm of baseball sized ammo. Had someone been caught in that in their tee shirt and bare head, they would have surely perished. I had actually just ridden home from work about an hour before that one happened.
Premise is sound, but I submit that, after a few tangles with hail myself, I am more sensitive to the possibility than I was before I ran into it on a motorcycle. Something in the air, that tingly sensation, whatever. I have ducked under overpasses during storms that I normally would have kept on trucking in because my Spidey sense told me hail was in the offing. Wrong more times than right for sure. Still, would those times I was right have happened at all if I didn't have a personal connetion to the warning signs? Subjective yeppir, but a tool in my box. Right along with my Droid phone that has weather apps and my weather station on the Cross Country and my Garmin with the XM radio weather updates. All reasonable but woe be the day that my Spidey sense trips and I ignore it because weathersat is not corroborating with realtime HUD maps pinpointing emerging conditions.

I'd definitely want a personal demo of such a thing before I plunked down a couple new sets of tires for it.
So you drive a dump truck? Just saying maybe a set of six wheeler skins or a full set of ten wheeler recaps. This little skid lid will make its way into Pop Sci and then be marketed in the NM catalogue and then Sky Mall and Brookstone I betcha. That right there is the potential clientele, at least for the first few model runs. Us proles will have to wait until the shine is well off the rose before it gets near three digits.

As an aside, Pop wonders what happens to your garbonza in the unfortunate event that the helmet is called on to do what helmets are intended to do? In the age of miniaturization is that Luke Skywalker tech going to be a static bystander at impact or is it of sufficient composition or installation to toss your salad from within or otherwise compromise the safety considerations that led motorcyclists to adopt them to begin with? Helmets in an F16 provide less value as a melon container than the other services they offer. Not so the trusty old Bell. Methinks the DOT (bless their no nonsense little shriveled up hearts) probably need some convincing.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
When this comes out it will be a grand and in 2 years it will be 119.99 ! I will wait too .

·
Registered
482 Posts
Don't get me wrong on the technology.
I know where it comes from and I know that it is well refined and extremely expensive. The gear that they are stuffing into this helmet can hardly be placed in the same category as that in a fighter jet or even what is in a corvette.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
539 Posts
I see some real possibilities with this. If the HUD can be tuned off and off easily with a voice command. Also have it pop up whenever you get below a preset speed, would be nice. That is one of my biggest worries when riding is stopping and having some idiot run me over. Having a clear view behind me would be nice.

Not having to strap a GPS on my handle bar would be nice as well. For me a GPS is must have technology as I have no sense of direction. It's embarrassing really, but I would get lost all the time without one. Before GPS I was very hesitant to go places by myself that I didn't know, because of how prone I am to getting lost.

I am a bit of tech junky, but I don't tweet though. :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not having to strap a GPS on my handle bar would be nice as well. For me a GPS is must have technology as I have no sense of direction. It's embarrassing really, but I would get lost all the time without one. Before GPS I was very hesitant to go places by myself that I didn't know, because of how prone I am to getting lost.
Term! You need to Girl Up and start asking directions like the inner female in me. Umm, uh, that's the only female in me that I know of though. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fly attack helicopters, and despite the amount if data that I am bombarded with via the various sights and sensors on board ( lased distance to target, rounds remaining, weapons status, rocket box/missle box/gun box,heading, altitude, torque, checkbook balance) I don't feel distracted at all while simultaneously absorbing and processing all that data and vanquishing the Muslim hordes with childlike abandon and a glint in my eye! cheers
All kidding aside, these things will be common in the next 5 years or so, and they will be way cheap once the Chinese and Paki's start knocking out copies. ( Viva Globalization! )thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That would definitely take some getting used to, but I love it!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm a slow adopter. My cell phone is about 10 years old and I've even disabled texting on it.
I read this and my wife asked if I had just posted. A GPS might be nice when you are in the middle of a 12 mile stretch of sandy road to know where the hell you got yourself into and how to get out. Now though, I just avoid the sand in the first place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts