Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I joined the forum a long while back just snooping and trying to learn. So I just picked up this toy today.

So here I am with a highball that has been someone else toy for the last 4500 miles. I am no stranger to bikes or turning wrenches but I am also no stranger to other peoples projects...

So off the bat here is what is jacked:
1) There is an eBay three inch lowering kit installed (no belt cover and the back part ground down) with Bassani tip outs / turn outs (the old style) so getting any lean to the right is not happening. He has the stock parts so it is getting swapped back to stock on Saturday to get it lifted back up and the cover back on. Will the Bassani's still scrape at stock height?

2) He installed Kingpin forward controls that stretch the bike a couple inches. I am not sure if this is good or not, but once I lift the bike I feel the angle may be a little more usable...to be continued but input is welcome

3) There is some heavy rub rash and scratching on the left side of the tank right onto of the victory logo. Story is the bike was on a side by side trailer with a tank badged harley. A strap let loose on the Harley and the bikes rode tank to tank on the trailer for a few hundred miles. The damage looks to tell the same story but I don't know where to go from here. PICS TO FOLLOW. Maybe just wait till I find another hardball tank on eBay?

4) Bassani tip outs with Power commander 5 and stage 2 victory air filter. This thing is wicked loud, but I live in Boston and am moving to Hawaii this summer. I am not out in the country where I can run this thing loud and proud like I have in the past...I have all the stock parts, but I would rather not go back to stock if there is an easy option to quiet it down a bit for the time being. Any easy ways to go about that? Maybe trade the pipes for something a little less aggressive? Any input a a pipe that isn't going to piss of my entire neighborhood but will still make use of the other parts? What are a used set of Bassani's with a bit or road rash even worth?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow.
First of all congratulations.
I have the old Bassanis on a stock height Highball. Yes, they will scrap on hard right turns. I cut the turn out off on the bottom and a little off the top to stagger the tips a little. No problem now. To tame the sound, you will need to go back to stock or get a longer pipe. I have never heard a short quiet pipe.
You mentioned looking for a Hardball tank. You will have better luck with a Vegas tank. Otherwise, you will need a new seat as well.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I went a little long winded and all over the place with that post.:eek: I'll try to get to the point with each one

1) Will the Bassani turn outs still scrape at stock height?

2) Disregard, this thinking out loud

3) Is a Highball tank something I can expect to find on eBay very often? Is there a better place to find one? What should I expect to pay?

4) My pipes are too loud for my neighborhood. What are a used set of Bassani's with a bit or road rash even worth? Are there silencers or baffles inserts I could use to shut them up some?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buks thanks for the reply. I am thinking about graving a set of shotguns or drag pipes from victory. Guessing those are a ton less sound. Would I take a big hit on powerband?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Any of the stage 1 pipes from Victory will be less sound but also quite a bit less power as well. The turn outs you have will scrape even at stock height, pretty sure there is an updated version that fixes that issue. As for the tank, keep your eyes peeled on eBay for a replacement...

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
I'd cut the pipes back a bit shorter and slip a pair of baffles into em. Either bought or made up.
As for tank damage well rubbin up against Harleys aint recommend but surely a little rub damage is repairable.
Same tank as a Vegas tho if yr buying one.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'd cut the pipes back a bit shorter and slip a pair of baffles into em. Either bought or made up.
As for tank damage well rubbin up against Harleys aint recommend but surely a little rub damage is repairable.
Same tank as a Vegas tho if yr buying one.
Like I said, cutting the pipes will fix the dragging issue. It never occurred to me to add baffles either purchased or made up. So far I like the sound but that is good to know. But since I'm not the OP. I digress.
I agree, a Vegas tank will work as a swap. But given what it would cost to paint it and the scarcity of Highball tanks, would suggest just doing the body work and painting your existing tank.

Regarding switching to stock pipes, my sense of it is you will notice the drop in power.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I like the Idea of adding baffles as I am moving from Boston to Hawaii the end of this summer. If I get there and have a little more space between me and my neighbors then I could just cut the welds and back to normal....hmmm

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
That's a hell of a place to move to Krypto- kudos to you cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a hell of a place to move to Krypto- kudos to you cheers
Thanks Kris,

I am stoked...not looking forward to riding the rainy season. either way it will be a damn nice break from Boston winter!

Does anyone have experience with baffles? Are they capable of knocking some volume off of my pipes? Is my head in the clouds? Should I just buy some new pipes?

Thanks
Doug

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Thanks Kris,

I am stoked...not looking forward to riding the rainy season. either way it will be a damn nice break from Boston winter!

Does anyone have experience with baffles? Are they capable of knocking some volume off of my pipes? Is my head in the clouds? Should I just buy some new pipes?

Thanks
Doug
yeah the type and contruction of the baffles will muffle the sound, the trick is to get rid of the obnoxious extremes and not strangle the motor performance -wise....I home made a baffle for my GPZ900R with vacuum cleaner pipe with some slash cuts in it prom a grinder then raised them slightly to interfere with the gasflow, then wrapped in fibreglass matting and held the baffle in place with pop rivets.
A bit rough but did the job and took the angry bark out of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would rather not mess up a well tuned bike, but I need to come up with a solution. I have been searching baffles that I could get welded into my current pipes but it seems like they are all designed to make stock pipes louder.

I have been researching the hell out of this on the forums and I am just not sure where to go from here.

Am I better off trying to swap out the pipes for something like this take the hit on power and get the bike retuned?

Also should I start a new thread in a better location?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would rather not mess up a well tuned bike, but I need to come up with a solution. I have been searching baffles that I could get welded into my current pipes but it seems like they are all designed to make stock pipes louder.

I have been researching the hell out of this on the forums and I am just not sure where to go from here.

Am I better off trying to swap out the pipes for something like this take the hit on power and get the bike retuned?

Also should I start a new thread in a better location?
I would post in either the performance forum or the Highball.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would post in either the performance forum or the Highball.
Thanks Bujee,

I started a new thread here

Thanks again for the warm welcome and all the help

Doug

1 - 15 of 15 Posts