So what is it?

Cruiser?

Tourer?

Bad Azz Bagger?

You make the call:

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
From a engineering aspect, I was always wandered why they put the motor in sideways, This design makes it better for exhaust flow and free's up space.

·
Registered
837 Posts
From a engineering aspect, I was always wandered why they put the motor in sideways, This design makes it better for exhaust flow and free's up space.
One of the smoothest and best running bikes I ever had was a Valkyrie. The problem was the wide engine-- 6 cyl pancake. With my 6'1" frame and 32 inch inseam, there was no comfortable place to put my feet. The pancake engine was too darn wide. The standard pegs had them under my butt and with hiway bars I was always riding like I was about to give birth--OK for a while, but it gets old. It was also top heavy.

That is why I love the V twin--you can make the feet go back and froward as far as you like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are fun to play with a stoplights. Flywheel is 90° to ours and when you rev the engine the counter torque developed makes the bike tilt. You'd never notice the effect on the road, but sitting still it's quite evident.

Problem I see with big, powerful engines is heat directly before a rider's knees. I rode a CX500 with a Guzzi layed out engine for years and heat was never an issue with it, but as time goes by and engines get bigger, more powerful, and run leaner, I'd really want to try such a bike before buying.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I had a GoldWing 1800 and that thing was great at routing the heat away from the rider. It was water cooled and the radiator fans blew out the front when doing less than 15 MPH to keep the heat off the rider.

It too had a very wide engine and had limited places to put feet without getting creative.

·
Registered
690 Posts
There is less power loss due to rotational direction change (I think I said that right). The crank shaft, fly wheel, and drive shaft all turn the same direction, therefor reducing power loss.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Honda has stalled over the past few years and this is probably a good move for them. Their ideas and marketing has been seriously lacking for a number of years with only a couple of short trips into the large bike markets they were totally unfamiliar with. Rune and VTX1800 sales never lived up to expectations but I think they were misdirected to start with.

World wide sales of bikes is moving away from the huge bikes of recent popularity in NA. It was primarily in marketing and TV circles anyway. Sales figures still didn't come close to smaller sized bikes on the world stage. As of late, KTM and BMW are seeing sales of their bikes increase while others drop.

Coming from Honda will mean everything on it will fit and perform very well for a long time and riders for this market should like the bike. Over the years my wish for a perfect bike for them to build was a V100 Magna. Can you imagine? Probably just too much for the average human to handle. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
There is less power loss due to rotational direction change (I think I said that right). The crank shaft, fly wheel, and drive shaft all turn the same direction, therefor reducing power loss.
I was told by a Honda salesman that a shaft drive will loose as much as 15% power and torque over a belt or chain drive because of the directional change in the gears.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Honda has stalled over the past few years and this is probably a good move for them. Their ideas and marketing has been seriously lacking for a number of years with only a couple of short trips into the large bike markets they were totally unfamiliar with. Rune and VTX1800 sales never lived up to expectations but I think they were misdirected to start with.

World wide sales of bikes is moving away from the huge bikes of recent popularity in NA. It was primarily in marketing and TV circles anyway. Sales figures still didn't come close to smaller sized bikes on the world stage. As of late, KTM and BMW are seeing sales of their bikes increase while others drop.

Coming from Honda will mean everything on it will fit and perform very well for a long time and riders for this market should like the bike. Over the years my wish for a perfect bike for them to build was a V100 Magna. Can you imagine? Probably just too much for the average human to handle. :)

Back when I had the VTX 1800 and spent most of my time on the VTXOA board, this was at times a big topic. Many seem to think that the big bore bikes is becoming an American thing these days. Over most of the globe, we have the cheapest gas and the best roads for the most part. Other cultures wanted to be like the USA and enjoy the biggest and louldest bikes, too. That sentiment seems to be changing everywhere except here in NA. Honda is gearing more toward smaller cc bikes that are cheaper and more efficient and playing the worldwide market. wac

·
Registered
566 Posts
I like it, probably more than the F6B, if their speculation is correct about it having DCT. It would need cruise, though, certainly the biggest mistake the F6B made and a more modern dash for an infotainment system (unlike the article, I'm assuming less of an infotainment system and more of a simple Bluetooth menu due to price).

I'm not thrilled with the side view, too long of a reach between fairing and riding position.

But, it's certainly an interesting bike.

·
Registered
837 Posts
But, it's certainly an interesting bike.
I agree. I applaud Honda for doing something different. I actually like the way it looks. Aside from Vic, I think most (ALL HARLEYS) bikes don't change that much from year to year. Nice to see a fresh design. cheers It is different.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't like the CTX700 (with the fairing). It reminds me too much of the DN01 which was a complete failure.

However, the CTX700N isn't too bad, though not something I would buy.

I think the biggest news about the bike is that it comes in a fully automatic version. Motorcycle purists hate it of course, and there is no way I would want an automatic motorcycle. But I see a market for them if someone would ever build a decent automatic cruiser.

My son wanted to learn how to drive a stick. I couldn't believe how few older manuals are on the street. Most haven't been taken care of very well. So I started looking for a new car. Except for the lowest end of the line, most car dealers don't even offer a stick as an option. I had to get a VW Jetta to have a decent car with a stick and not blow a lot of cash for it. Two things I found interesting after I bought a manual car: when my son went for his test he was lucky that he got the examiner he got. It seems that not all examiners know how to drive a stick. They have to be able to drive the car back if the candidate's driving is unsafe. Had he went for his test when the examiner on duty didn't know how to drive a stick he would've had to make another appointment. The other thing was from a news report. It seems a car jacking was foiled because the car jacker tried to steal a manual car but didn't know how to drive one. Once he figured out the car was a stick he ran away.

I think if someone offered a reliable automatic transmission cruiser that didn't look like something from an episode of Power Rangers it would sell to new riders who don't want shift but don't want to ride a scooter either.

The only automatic that has the true classic cruiser look I know of is no longer in production; The Ridley. It uses a CVT transmission that doesn't have a good reliability reputation nor did it have much of a dealer network.

The Aprilia Mana 850 is another automatic motorcycle but I don't think most people who are looking for an automatic motorcycle would like the riding position as much as the CTX700N.

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
I was told by a Honda salesman that a shaft drive will loose as much as 15% power and torque over a belt or chain drive because of the directional change in the gears.
Yep, and Honda claims that by mounting the motor transversely like this, they gain about half of that back.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
566 Posts
Yeah, I was reading through the article again and they think the engine is the same V4 as the ST1300 with 117 HP and 86 lb.-ft. of torque, which sounds great until you see that the numbers hit at 6,500 RPM.

Most cruisers develop their grunt down in the low RPM range.

If their market is aimed at being a simpler cruiser, it will be interesting to see whether they pull old cruiser aficionados into their fold.

But, I'd consider it as a second bike (fourth in my case - or get rid of the old Magna and buy this one) as my city driver/spare. With all the work we've done/are doing on our primary bikes it's always nice to have a reliable spare...

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't like the CTX700 (with the fairing). It reminds me too much of the DN01 which was a complete failure.

Exactly. If anything I like the exhaust on the DN01 better.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts