Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought my victory in october of 2013, got an 05 Victory vegas 8 ball edition. put a little over a thousand miles on it in the short period of time weather has permitted riding and i absolutely love it!

bike came with a bat wing fairing, screaming eagle intake and arlen ness pipes. did away with the fair because the bike would death wobble at anything above 65mph so i took it off, it didnt completely stop the wobble but its a lot better. is this a common problem? i would love to put a fairing back on it, my buddy said it was because i dont weigh much?? not sure i totally believe that haha. well anyways here soon i plan on putting a solid 21" front wheel, different bags and a fairing back on it if possible!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome! Take a look around and maybe I'll see you in Spirit Lake for the Victory Ride.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Im just south of you in Hamilton, lets ride sometime.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im right over in huber heights! I get a very noticable wobble when shifting from the top of 5th in to 6th not sure what causes it. but man at 65mph that def shouldnt be happening

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
bike came with a bat wing fairing, screaming eagle intake and arlen ness pipes. did away with the fair because the bike would death wobble at anything above 65mph so i took it off, it didnt completely stop the wobble but its a lot better.
Might want to check your steering head bearing torques. Might be time for a new front tire too?

well anyways here soon i plan on putting a solid 21" front wheel, different bags and a fairing back on it if possible!
If you don't want the bike to be steered by the wind, you might want to leave the solid rims alone. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and Saddlebag, i think we are possibly thinking on different things when i say solid front wheel lol the factory 18 on my bike right now has holes in the hub and im pretty certain its hallow? and my buddy thought a solid one would help my problem but the more im thinking about it i realize they wouldnt put it on the bike if it wouldnt work, so either the wheel is bent or i need to replace the tire, maybe even bearings?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
and Saddlebag, i think we are possibly thinking on different things when i say solid front wheel lol the factory 18 on my bike right now has holes in the hub and im pretty certain its hallow? and my buddy thought a solid one would help my problem but the more im thinking about it i realize they wouldnt put it on the bike if it wouldnt work, so either the wheel is bent or i need to replace the tire, maybe even bearings?
I see. I thought you were referring to a dish type wheel. The original V-rods had them and they've since went to more conventional wheels. Could just be the style is dated, but there were a lot of people back then complaining of instability in cross winds.

Our wheels are generally cast aluminum. I think the hollow areas are part of the manufacturing process. Probably have to joint two halves together. Solid forged or billet wheels would be quite expensive.

How many miles are on your Vegas?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
a little over 49k. no idea how many miles are on the tires
Before you torque them down, you may want to ensure those head bearings are still good. They are supposed to be packed every 15k miles. The fork oil is also supposed to be changed at those intervals.

Sounds like a good time to have a peak at that front end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts