Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just kidding. Someone Photochopped an Arlen Ness Victory motor/exhaust into an Indian Chief. Thought you guys might be interested in seeing what something like that would look like.

I don't think Polaris will blend the two but it does make for an interesting look; don't you think?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't think Polaris will blend the two but it does make for an interesting look; don't you think?
The latest from Scott Wine seems to indicate that the only thing Victory and Indian will share is the same parent company. Personally I hope that he is true to his word.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1108_5_questions_with_polaris_ceo_scott_wine/index.html

An Indian is an Indian and a Victory is a Victory. They're both great bikes but need to remain separate and distinct.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The latest from Scott Wine seems to indicate that the only thing Victory and Indian will share is the same parent company. Personally I hope that he is true to his word.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1108_5_questions_with_polaris_ceo_scott_wine/index.html

An Indian is an Indian and a Victory is a Victory. They're both great bikes but need to remain separate and distinct.
Amen Brother! Although I couldn't read the article you posted because a subscription is necessary to read it; I did get the gist.

Thanks much!

I agree. The more separate they are the better and probably the more successful they both will be, eh.

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good find Donzo! Great to read that kind of news. Makes me want to save up to buy one of the new Indians once they design one. Someone posted this Indian Core Concept bike on another forum (I think). Looks interesting. Kinda how Indian's might look if they stayed in business straight through till today.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Amen Brother! Although I couldn't read the article you posted because a subscription is necessary to read it; I did get the gist.

Thanks much!

I agree. The more separate they are the better and probably the more successful they both will be, eh.
Strange, some people can read it, some can't. I never got an on-line subscription so I don't think there are any infringment issues posting what is there.

5 Questions With... Polaris CEO Scott Wine
From the August, 2011 issue of Motorcyclist
By David Edwards

Q: So, Victory, America’s newest motorcycle company, acquires a brand that dates all the way back to 1901. How long has parent company Polaris been interested in Indian?
A: When Polaris decided to get into the motorcycle business, we considered at that time acquiring Indian. So it dates back. It was 13 years ago when we started Victory. Indian has been on our radar screen for a long, long time.

Q: Will you be building basically the same Indian Chief that is being sold today?
A: Yes, but our engineers don’t have the ability not to make improvements, so where we see opportunities to tweak the current bikes and make them a little better, we’ll do so. Of course, our significant engineering effort is going to be focused on creating a new version of the Indian motorcycle, one that is extremely closely tied to the heritage of this iconic brand, even more so than the current bikes.

Q: We shouldn’t expect a Victory with an Indian badge glued on, then?
A: There is zero chance–make that zero, zero, ZERO chance, and I can’t repeat that enough times–that we will do anything close to putting an Indian badge on a Victory motorcycle. When I approved this acquisition, that was one of my strongest points. That cannot and will not happen. It will be a completely new and different bike. It has to be.

Q: Selling a $30,000 motorcycle in this economy was a huge hurdle for Indian. Lowering price point has to be a prime directive, yes?
A: That would be a fair assessment. We have some work to do. But I have complete confidence; there’s not a concern or a doubt about our ability to do this. I mean, this is what we do. We design, engineer, build and launch new products all the time. This is work we know how to do.

Q: Has Indian finally found a home?
A: We are now the rightful owners of Indian. We believe it was always going to take an American company to fully leverage the brand. We wouldn’t have done this if we didn’t think there was a tremendous amount of strength in the brand. We’re excited about the Indian acquisition. We’ve been working on this one for a while and it’s nice to have it in the stable.

EDIT: I just figured it out, there is a pop-up asking you to subscribe but all you have to do is hit the "X Close" button in the lower right corner of the pop-up. I've been going to that sight for so long that it didn't dawn on me that is what you were talking about since I just hit it automatically :eek:

·
Registered
111 Posts
new indians?

beautiful motorcycles. pure unadulterated retro nostalgia (which ain't a bad thing). the problem? you can build a real close copy of this scooter out of just about any catalogue for 15-20% less than an actual new purchase. just my $.02 worth. ride safe.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
beautiful motorcycles. pure unadulterated retro nostalgia (which ain't a bad thing). the problem? you can build a real close copy of this scooter out of just about any catalogue for 15-20% less than an actual new purchase. just my $.02 worth. ride safe.
I don't think they look at all retro. To me they look like fancy cruisers. Compare an Indian from today with an original.

Sure there are a couple of nods to the original like ginormous fenders and pom pom tassles hanging everywhere, but besides that, they don't share much in common to my eye.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Just checked that out Saddle. Being an 8Ball fan, the dark horse looks really nice. Too bad they're keeping their classic prices with the classic look.
I wasn't that crazy about any of them. If I had to buy one, I would want one with less gaudy fenders. Something more like this:

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That doesn't look too bad at all. We will never know what the new Indian's would look like today if they had stayed in business all these years. Maybe something like this...

·
Registered
236 Posts
My wife and I are ridding to Vegas July 7th we plan on checking out A Team Motorcycles or is it Arlen Ness las vegas? I'm hoping they have a couple Indians in their showroom.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts