Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Yeah. It's already in effect in Cali and AZ. Can't even have it on the side in AZ. I guess the cops were having a hard time reading the plates or something.

I always like the way they looked but would never put one on my bike simply because I know I'd rack my shins on it somewhere along the line. :) I still don't think it should be a law though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Isn't California going belly up? You'd think they'd have more pressing issues to deal with.
I heard someone phrase it best earlier today: "Rome is burning, and the CA legislature is picking out new wallpaper."

The sad fact is that it appears despite CA's constant discussions of protecting small businesses and it's citizens, they really want to kill the custom bike and aftermarket part builders.

I already talked to Colorado. They said they don't want any more Californians. Look to other states, my friends.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
The sad fact is that it appears despite CA's constant discussions of protecting small businesses and it's citizens, they really want to kill the custom bike and aftermarket part builders.
I agree with you guys that too much is too much. However, custom bike and after market part builders should be just fine. Now they just have to design new products that are legal. And these new products should (at least in theory) replace the old products, thus increasing production! :crzy:

What pride can you take in your product if you have no limitations to design it by? I think the good custom parts shops who design their own stuff will come up with nice products that will be within the new laws. Maybe I'm wrong, but I surely hope not.

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look at it this way. Ticking the trucks and bikes they'll be out of debt in no time.
Heaven help you if you had a drink or two and your 1 inch to low or to high.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very true, Johnny. While fees didn't raise as much as an internet hoax said, fees still went up and they are looking for reasons to ticket.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I will anyways. Those of you who want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, please go ahead.

I wonder if a system where you get ticketed only when you cause an accident would work. The ticket would have to be very expensive - perhaps matching the damage you caused. If you caused $10,000 worth of damage, you should (or your insurance) pay for the damage, and then you should pay a $10,000 ticket.

This would leave less police work trying to bust minor infractions for which the tickets are inexpensive enough that drivers/riders don't care about. You move the milking of money to those who actually caused accidents instead of taxing those who got caught breaking some law by some officer.

Carelessness while driving would probably shrink rapidly if all of the sudden your pocket is responsible for the damage you cause. It would shift the focus from "can I speed a lil' without getting caught" to "I cannot afford to cause an accident."

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wonder if a system where you get ticketed only when you cause an accident would work. The ticket would have to be very expensive - perhaps matching the damage you caused. If you caused $10,000 worth of damage, you should (or your insurance) pay for the damage, and then you should pay a $10,000 ticket.
"
The only problem with this is the fact that the illegal immigrant population in CA is HUGE. My mom was in an accident with one and they fled the scene because they had no insurance and no way to pay for the damage.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
The only problem with this is the fact that the illegal immigrant population in CA is HUGE. My mom was in an accident with one and they fled the scene because they had no insurance and no way to pay for the damage.
That's why running from the scene of the accident would have to be rewarded by capital punishment. You run, you're dead! :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Minnesota did something similar this year, but to their credit when they outlawed vertical mounting of standard plates, they began to offer plates with letters/numbers set up to be read vertically.

So you cannot take your standard horizontal plate and mount it sideways, but you can go to the DMV and order a new custom plate that reads vertically for a $100 fee.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yea for Min. . . . What we all should be more concerned with [ imo ]
is the people Talking or Texing on there damn phones, and consequently drifting over / out of there lane to me they are the bigger problem,

steve

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here Here! Talking on your cellphone has been illegal in CA for a while, but I can seriously just sit at a stoplight and count the number of people violating the law. My favorite are the ones who hold their cellphones up, clearly on speakerphone. Um...you're still holding the phone. It's not hands free!

·
Registered
60 Posts
New law

Seems to me that making more laws just creates more law breakers...I have to admit that I tire of all the silly and controlling laws.:rolleyes:

Enjoy your ride!

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Here is something I found out not to long ago about lane splitting that I didn't know.

I was lucky that the LEO let me slide.

You can split lanes in slow moving traffic or stopped traffic but you cannot split lanes to advance to a red light or stop sign on the street! If you are 20 cars back from the red light then you have to sit in place.

I split lanes in heavy traffic to get to the red light. The Leo sitting next to me rolled down his window and explained it to me really quick. He said he figured I didn't know because I pulled up right next to him. LOL

FYI the only time I would split lanes was to advance to a stop sign or light. I am way to scared to split on the highways.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Here is something I found out not to long ago about lane splitting that I didn't know.

I was lucky that the LEO let me slide.

You can split lanes in slow moving traffic or stopped traffic but you cannot split lanes to advance to a red light or stop sign on the street! If you are 20 cars back from the red light then you have to sit in place.

I split lanes in heavy traffic to get to the red light. The Leo sitting next to me rolled down his window and explained it to me really quick. He said he figured I didn't know because I pulled up right next to him. LOL

FYI the only time I would split lanes was to advance to a stop sign or light. I am way to scared to split on the highways.
Diamond, the Leo who told you that is incorrect. California's law says "lane sharing" is not illegal for a motorcycle. The official Ca. Highway Patrol interpretation is very short and merely says it must be done in a safe manner. Scroll down a page or so...

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Needless to say, "safe" is subject to interpetation. I have done this for so many years I can't remember. I split lanes to advance at stoplights all the time, but I am sure that a police officer "could" conclude that was unsafe, and cite you. Never heard of it happening though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts