Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if there are any issues with the cross tour bikes. They look great and I was drooling over them for a while before victory closed.

Are there any major differences between the 2012 and 2016?
Any big issues I need to look for if I'm shopping with a private seller?

Dealer has a 2016 model "leftover" that I'm going to try looking at but I'm not sure that it is worth the extra expense over a 2012 private seller.

It's looking like both privately and at dealers around $12k for a used 2012 or later model.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Don't look. Buy. Buy, and ride the hell out of it.

Now, after having said that, the bikes are basically the same between 2012-2017. Main difference with 2016 and newer is you cannot remove the o2 sensors without the engine throwing a code. Reliability is excellent. I have a 2013 with just about 42,000 now and the only thing I did to the engine is change the oil (not including cams I installed last year). If you can get a new 2016 for 12K, I say jump on it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't look. Buy. Buy, and ride the hell out of it.

Now, after having said that, the bikes are basically the same between 2012-2017. Main difference with 2016 and newer is you cannot remove the o2 sensors without the engine throwing a code. Reliability is excellent. I have a 2013 with just about 42,000 now and the only thing I did to the engine is change the oil (not including cams I installed last year). If you can get a new 2016 for 12K, I say jump on it.
You say cams is that a failure or an upgrade?

There is a private seller with a 2012 for about $12k semi local. Looks like it has driver backrest and passenger armrests.

The local dealer wants $17k for a 2016. This one I need to at least sit on it to see how the bike fits me.

I found a used 2014 at a dealer about 200 miles away 16k miles for $12500. Same as the local used in accessories that I can see but it's the blue silver two tone that I really like.

I have been riding a Honda 5 years and it's super easy to work on including valves. Not sure about victory things like abs would be great to have but I have no clue how to work on them.

How is the heat?
I have a commute for work 15 miles of stop and go. My Honda blows hot hair on me from the radiator but I'm not sure how an air cooled bike would handle it. Do the victory overheat?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I think I know who this is :) The XCT (Cross Country Tour) does run hot. That is the only drawback I have found on them. The cams are an upgrade and not a maintenance problem. The ABS seldom gives a problem. I think that $12,000 for a 2012 XCT is too high. I think that from a private seller, $10,000 is a more fair price. They don't ever need valve adjustments. They seem quite reliable and this forum is a good resource. A low mileage used 2012 to 2014 is probably the best value range right now.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search for the Vic that suits you...there is a buy and sell group on Facebook you should check that out as well if you have an account. There are some deals out there so just take your time and find the one that's right for you. They are a solid dependable ride!!

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might be able to talk down a private seller but dealers I doubt they will budge. They seem to be clinging to the "Only x of y left in country" and charging a premium for it.

The biggest issue is distance. I'm not fond of going 4 hours away for what might be a Craigslist scam like the $9k cross country tour I found.

That's why I'm leaning more towards that dealer within 200 miles. Really like the color and 12500 is near the average I'm seeing on cycletrader.

So these are reliable enough that any 2012 or newer should be good to go?

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
The cams were most definitely an upgrade, not due to any problem or issue. These engines are designed & built very well. As for reliability, the most important thing I can suggest is make sure your battery connections are tight.

It's a large engine so it makes its fair share of heat, but I don't think it's more than you'd expect. What Honda do you have? I had a 2002 GoldWing for just over 9 seasons, and the heat is really no worse than that. The GoldWing had those awesome fans that blew the heat AWAY from the rider at a stop, though ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VTX currently, which will get donated to dad if I upgrade.

Battery connection is a big thing with them as well.

Mr vinish is a big fan of the cross country tour so that got me looking at them after victory was killed off. It's a cross country tour or a wing and I like the look of the victory better. Just wanting reliability and comfort.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
It is hard to beat a Goldwing for reliability, speed, power, etc. but I find the riding posture to just be terrible. Legs below you, upright posture, wide seat prevented me from flat-footing the bike even though the seat sits low, highway pegs make you feel like you are in birthing stirrups because they are so high and so far apart. The XCT has the best riding posture for me of any bike I've sat on although the big Kawasaki touring bike that Chykal has is also nice. You've met Chykal at some VTX events we have been at. He now goes by Colt on the VTX Café. Unfortunately, the Kawasaki touring bike that he has is in desperate need of some technological upgrading which, I believe, is being done on the newer Kaw tourers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right the very wide wing I'm not sure if I could flat foot one comfortably and the whole thing is wide like a horse. I agree on the awkward looking riding position too. I've already got an offer to ride a wing next month at a gathering but I'm still leaning towards victory. I remember reading about early victory having many issues but I guess they outgrew those?

I have not sat on a CCT or rode one. I plan to sit on the expensive new one at the dealer here soon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What could be more telling and hold greater weight than previous Victory owners who after selling and going away for various reasons seek to buy a Victory again?
I've owned nearly every MC brand, several times over 47 years of riding, and none have held a higher place in my estimation and for longer ownership than my purchased new 2012 CCT. I previously would buy and sell a new HD dresser ever 12-18 months.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What could be more telling and hold greater weight than previous Victory owners who after selling and going away for various reasons seek to buy a Victory again?
I've owned nearly every MC brand, several times over 47 years of riding, and none have held a higher place in my estimation and for longer ownership than my purchased new 2012 CCT. I previously would buy and sell a new HD dresser ever 12-18 months.
Good point. I think the fact that when I try to find used there are not very many out there says something about these bikes. Craigslist is full of HD and other brands but very few cross country. Same for dealers used inventory.

I really don't have many options that I consider reasonable distance with acquiring a cross country tour.

I've never had a payment for a bike but this would be an exception. At least for a couple years. I want something that I can ride my 15 miles of stoplight hell work commute as well as a 400 mile day trip to visit sights in neighboring states and be able to walk afterwards. Family in Florida so I wouldn't mind taking a trip down there by bike too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
ALL air cooled engines in summer are like sitting on a stove with handlebars and wheels. That is the compromise I chose to live with to not to have to deal with radiator problems on a MC. Just one more thing to go wrong in my mind. NO Valves to adjust and no radiator issues for my as simple as I can make it. I previously commuted 100+ miles daily splitting lanes on multiple freeways for 20+ years thru SoCal on full dressers. Why I have such much high mileage and bought new Harleys so often before the warranty gave out. *smile.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I first sat on a Vision and then a Cross Country Tour (XCT) at a dealer. The ergos of the XCT felt as if they designed the bike around me. Plenty of leg room with floor boards large enough to square dance on. Wife said the XCT was better on her end as well. Having been on a Valkyrie the previous thirteen years, I purchased a blue/silver without a test ride. She handles like a dream at any speed. Rides like a Lincoln Town Car. Does generate some heat because they are tuned to run lean. I opted for a aftermarket tune so it runs a couple degrees cooler (slightly richer in fuel). Still feel the heat in the summer time. I opted for a hydraulic clutch to eliminate one service point of keeping the clutch cable lubed. As long as you can accept the fact that you own an orphan I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Vic.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
There are only two things I can think of that need improvement on a Cross bike and that's the weak horn and front brake pads and both are easy fixes.
My XR is a very early Cross bike with almost 40K miles and no problems. Maintenance is so easy, it's a joy to do.
Go to Victory Motorcycles buy sell & trade on FB - there are always lots of Vics for sale there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I first sat on a Vision and then a Cross Country Tour (XCT) at a dealer. The ergos of the XCT felt as if they designed the bike around me. Plenty of leg room with floor boards large enough to square dance on. Wife said the XCT was better on her end as well. Having been on a Valkyrie the previous thirteen years, I purchased a blue/silver without a test ride. She handles like a dream at any speed. Rides like a Lincoln Town Car. Does generate some heat because they are tuned to run lean. I opted for a aftermarket tune so it runs a couple degrees cooler (slightly richer in fuel). Still feel the heat in the summer time. I opted for a hydraulic clutch to eliminate one service point of keeping the clutch cable lubed. As long as you can accept the fact that you own an orphan I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Vic.
Bike like yours same color 2014 is what has my attention at the moment. It's at a dealer in another state but I love the color combo.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
<snip> I remember reading about early victory having many issues but I guess they outgrew those?

I have not sat on a CCT or rode one. I plan to sit on the expensive new one at the dealer here soon.
I think that the 2012 and up models of the XCT eliminated all of the known bugs. 2011 and earlier had some transmission problems that were fixed for 2012 and later.

The old Victory marketing slogan was something like, "Ride one and you will own one." I found that to be true for me and my wife. We each rode one and now we have bought four :)

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Not unhappy with my 2010's tranny. Preloading the shifter makes for smoother and quieter shifts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The old Victory marketing slogan was something like, "Ride one and you will own one." I found that to be true for me and my wife. We each rode one and now we have bought four :)
Exactly why I'm here. If you have enough faith in it to buy four of them then I think I'm safe taking a chance on it. I know you did the research before committing like that. :)

·
13,188 Posts
VicSeeker

don't be scared to fly to a bike and ride it home. Wonder where you do live. Dealers will try to give you a deal just so they can unload there bikes now that Vic is no longer. Make sure you get owners book doing oil change is easy the hard part is finding the valve stem on rear tire to put air in. You can get some prices here and the dealers around here a reliable

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=victory+cross+country

1 - 20 of 155 Posts