Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am possibly thinking about getting a new Hammer 8 Ball. It's a new 2012 model at a dealer here in central KY. I threw my leg over it and we started it. I did not test drive it, I no longer have a motorcycle license. I let it expire a few years ago. My first bike was a Yamaha Enduro 100 back in the early eighties. Second bike was a two year old 1982 Suzuki GS1100L (One of the fastest production bikes of 1982). Had this for many years while I was active duty Air Force. The military makes you attend an advanced handling class to bring your bike on base, so I'm sure that helped me in the long run. I got rid of that bike about 20 years ago. Recently, I've ridden my brother-in-laws Harley sportster 1200 with no issues at all. I really miss my bike a LOT. I've had multiple dreams about riding a bike again.

The advice I'm hunting for here today is...I'm worried that this might be too much bike for me. I'm 6ft, 220 lbs, retired military, so I'm not a small guy. The bike felt good while I was sitting on it, but I want feedback before I plunk down 12K on a bike.

Also, are there any issues with the Hammer that the salesman (biased) did not mention? I read the Motorcyclenew.com article with the top 5 performance cruisers of 2011, and the Victory came in dead last. I'm still leaning towards the Hammer 8 Ball though.

Feedback???

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Victory Hammer 8-ball.

We are almost exactly the same size. :) I am 6'1" and 215-220 lbs with a 34" inseam.

The Hammer is a great bike but there are some things you may want to change depending on your riding style.

The seat sucks ass, the pegs drag really quickly but its a non-issue in 99% of riding. The rear brake is weak and WILL lock up very quickly. The single front disc is fine for normal riding but any type of sport riding and it gets brake fade really quick and it has very little initial bite. Soften the rear spring a little too from the factory setting. Also, you may want to move the pegs out 2".

Why its last in a comparison I have no clue. It smoked my fathers VTX1800, is SO close to my friends M109R (out of the hole the Vic rules to 60 mph), and it is faster than the V-rod Muscle I test rode out of the hole. At the end of the 1/4 though the V-rod will pull like mad.

Things I would change.

Add another front rotor and change pads, change rear brake pad, change or AT least adjust the rear shock, re-valve the fronts to be a little stiffer, a better eat with some padding that doesnt bitein to my tail bone.

In saying that I love the bike and am very happy with my decision on making it a fixture in my garage. :)

Buy it, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your honesty. I appreciate that. Have you had any issues with your tranny? That was the one major problem area the testers had. I've read many reports complaining about the Victory transmission.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for your honesty. I appreciate that. Have you had any issues with your tranny? That was the one major problem area the testers had. I've read many reports complaining about the Victory transmission.
in 2011 and 2012 (and beyond 2012), Victory addressed the transmission and pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up. They are supposed to be way better than before.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in 2011 and 2012 (and beyond 2012), Victory addressed the transmission and pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up. They are supposed to be way better than before.
Then the 2012 model I looked at wouldnt have the issue?

·
Registered
185 Posts
i have a 2011 version and could not be happier,,engine gets better every ride..you will see the mods i have made in my signature..

but again love this bike, it is a head turner, and could not be happier with sales process, after sales service, and feeling part of a family..

i am Sydney Australia based...

regards,

Derek cheers cheers cheers cheers thumb up

·
Registered
121 Posts
The bike I test rode had some miles on it and were VERY SMOOTH (2010 bike) and when I got mine I thought it was VERY clunky. Honestly, I was not impressed with how hard it was to find "N" at times (and I have been riding since I was 9 years old) and that it HATED to be downshifted more than 1 gear at a time. HOWEVER...........changed the oil at 450 miles and it was like a new bike!

It started easier, ran/runs better and the tranny is MUCH smoother. I believe it takes some time for parts to wear a little bit in to place so I suspect that at 1k miles it will be as buttery as the ones I test rode.

While I was having my bike serviced they gave me a Vegas Jackpot that was tuned and piped. It had some more power and also I noticed the lower RPM lurch was gone as was the chuggggggg that most big twis have below 2k rpms. I will say though that I far prefer the Hammer to the Vegas in terms of how it handles. The Vegas seat is far suprior but I can change the seat on my Hammer.

The front end made it easier to ride and navigate than my Hammer till I got to very slow corners and I felt like I had to steer the Vegas where as I would dip and go with the my Hammer. On the highway I felt like the Vegas was all over the place. Granted 70 mph with cross winds moves any bike.

Get the hammer. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Regarding the trannys; They do get muuuuuch smoother and quieter. I'm at 7k miles and it's totally different than at 500 miles. Remember these are 100k mile transmissions so at 7k mines not even fully broken in yet. Have not had one issue with the bike, much less the transmission. I know you're looking at a Hammer and I have a Vegas, but it's the same motor and tranny.

At first they are clunky, and you have to be more deliberate shifting. Get a couple thousand miles on it though and everything gets nice and smooth, including finding neutral.

Good luck with whatever choice you make chevyguy, and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hammer

I read that road test while owning a Yamaha 1900 road liner which is very similar to the Yam tested and also test rode the thunderbird which won the test and still bought the Hammer S which cost £2000 more way better than the Bird the road test is BOLLOX and better than the Yam which I considered better than the Bird.
To much for you? I doubt it I am 5"6 and 190ibs and have no problems over the last few years I have owned a Rocket 111 a Yam 1900 and a Suzuki 1800 and the Vic is a way easier ride than all three.
My trans was very good new and has got a bit better but to be fair it was fine out of the box if you buy this bike your only problem will the time you spend just looking at it it even returns good gas mileage I would suggest getting the Hammer S though just for the extra front disc.
You will love this bike :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I read that road test while owning a Yamaha 1900 road liner which is very similar to the Yam tested and also test rode the thunderbird which won the test and still bought the Hammer S which cost £2000 more way better than the Bird the road test is BOLLOX and better than the Yam which I considered better than the Bird.
To much for you? I doubt it I am 5"6 and 190ibs and have no problems over the last few years I have owned a Rocket 111 a Yam 1900 and a Suzuki 1800 and the Vic is a way easier ride than all three.
My trans was very good new and has got a bit better but to be fair it was fine out of the box if you buy this bike your only problem will the time you spend just looking at it it even returns good gas mileage I would suggest getting the Hammer S though just for the extra front disc.
You will love this bike :)
I like the Hammer S but the all black version just says "Bad A$$" all over it. The S version screams that too I must add.

The thing is you can add the extra brake for far less than the price variation from the 8-Ball to the S version.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hammer

mine is in the red and black and reminded me of a world war one fighter plane childish I know good point about the brake upgrade so just go and buy it you will not regret it no complaints at all!!!!:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
mine is in the red and black and reminded me of a world war one fighter plane childish I know good point about the brake upgrade so just go and buy it you will not regret it no complaints at all!!!!:)
Not childish at all. :)

I am thining of putting (like I have seen on other Victory motorcycles) that WWII style woman on the side covers. lol

Either that or taking the victory badge off the tank and putting the letters "HAMMER" on the sides of the rear fenders (as some come with).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the Hammer S but the all black version just says "Bad A$$" all over it. The S version screams that too I must add.

The thing is you can add the extra brake for far less than the price variation from the 8-Ball to the S version.
The wicked all black look really oils my chain. That's why I wanted to look at the 8 ball version. One of the guys at work today was asking if every bump in the road would be felt with the ultra wide rear tire? Is there any special wisdom/ tricks to riding with that fat rear tire? (the other aspect why I looked at the Hammer) I'm not a canyon carver type rider. I'm more of the blvd cruiser. I live surrounded by majestic horse farms, and that is how I go to and from work, very relaxing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fatty

The wicked all black look really oils my chain. That's why I wanted to look at the 8 ball version. One of the guys at work today was asking if every bump in the road would be felt with the ultra wide rear tire? Is there any special wisdom/ tricks to riding with that fat rear tire? (the other aspect why I looked at the Hammer) I'm not a canyon carver type rider. I'm more of the blvd cruiser. I live surrounded by majestic horse farms, and that is how I go to and from work, very relaxing.
My rocket and Suzuki had the fat back tyre and you will soon get used to it no problem the Vic actually handles rather better than them in fact my first ride was a surprise because of the bikes willingness to attack corners and you will not feel anymore bumps than any other cruiser just buy it you are wasting time you could be spending with it it's the most entertaining bike I have owned in 44 years of riding and I have owned an awful lot of bikes as my wife will attest to:)
PS you live where we would all like it live I rather think

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just make sure you put more effort in to the corners. :) It takes a little more but after you get used to riding it you wont even notice it.

It rides MUCH better since I had the rear shock set up a little softer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts