Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase my first victory, and I thought I'd come here for some friendly advice. I'm looking for the best victory model to ride 2-up with the lady, on day trips on the weekend. Nothing long-distance or overnight, so I'm mostly just looking at cruisers. We usually ride 100-200 miles, casual riding.

A local dealership recommended the gunner since it's closer to my budget at $13k. But I'd like things like a windshield, floor boards for the rider and passenger, saddlebags, etc.

I was also looking at used kingpins since they often come built-out with the riding accessories I like.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Day trips on the weekend begs the question of storage needs. I think the best riding bike for 2 up that Victory makes is the Vision. I may be a bit prejudiced since I ride one. With a 13k budget you should be able to find a very nice used 2008 or 2009 that would be a great bike for short, as in less than 2 days, bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ive only owned my cross country for 3 months,( harley baggers for 30+ yrs) but i would think it would work nicely for ya...not sure why a gunner is what he told you, if you are riding with a woman... you need her storage requirements met, so unless you want to go full touring (vision) or serious touring in cold weather (cross country tour) i think the cross country has all you need and more. of course, like oldman, im predjudiced...

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
A used Kingpin and Cross roads are your best options for under 13k. If you need minimal storage a kingpin might be the funner and cheaper bike. You'll probably want to get a nice custom seat for max comfor for either bike. All the others in the cruiser line can do some 2 up, but they are a bigger compromise on comfort.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
A used Kingpin and Cross roads are your best options for under 13k. If you need minimal storage a kingpin might be the funner and cheaper bike. You'll probably want to get a nice custom seat for max comfor for either bike. All the others in the cruiser line can do some 2 up, but they are a bigger compromise on comfort.
Many find the stock Cross Roads seat comfortable for both rider and passenger. After owning a bike for a while, you'll know if the seat is OK or needs modding.
In my high 70s now and our long distance two-up days are behind us, but not regional rides. So the Cross Roads with the Lock & Ride backrest & rack is perfect for us. Its an all around bike; great for in town errands and long multi day rides. Nothing not to like, except maybe the horn. But that was an easy fix.thumb up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Is it possible for you to test-ride a few different bikes with the misses ??

you say the misses will be joining a lot?? try to test drive a Vision?? man I borrowed that thing from my friend and it is fricking cool driving light... and co-pilot must me happier then &^%#$# chipmunk.... :ltr:

my jackpot is a "single" rider.... most of my passengers are below 50 Kg Asians and even they get a sore bum, :ltr::ltr: from the bike i mean :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
thats a good call, find a demo truck schedule and ride a few... they havent changed all that much and you would get a good idea. xc, xct and vision are heavy touring bikes 760-850 lbs that might be too heavy for you, but if you can buy used low miles, anything in the line is in your price range. if new, not so much...

·
Registered
355 Posts
ill second the cross roads, they can be found used for a reasonable price and as money allows you can modify as you want. I just did a 2155miles in 7 days on mine. I did go to the fairing for the radio, but the windshield would have worked just as well for riding all day. I love what I have done with my blank slate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
How comfortable could you be??? :ltr:

This is my friend Vision, having a Victory Rest after riding to the next island, and back the next day....

Comfy right?? thumb up

PS he is approximately 160 Cm tall, so short people also can ride big bikes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Given your criteria, I'd guess it'd be hard to go past a Boardwalk.

·
13,188 Posts
Not knowing where you live its hard to say what you should buy.

There is no such thing as day trips.
Once you find out whats over the next hill or down around the next bend in the road your hooked. You'll be riding farther and farther just to see whats out there. Motorcycling is like being a pioneer of a hole new world.
Before you know it your girlfriend and you will spending a over night at the other end of the state or the next state over.
Talk with your girlfriend about what adventure she would like.

Good riding what ever you buy thumb up

·
Registered
426 Posts
Im just going to warn you. I had the same idea you did, and bought an 07 Jackpot with a touring seat. I honestly didn’t think the wife would want to ride much, but if I had known then what I know now I would have went ahead and got the XC. You can find them at a reasonable price used if you take your time (I paid $11.5 for one with 15k miles). The only advice I can give, that I think everyone will agree with, is test ride everything you can and when you’re ready to buy DON’T SETTLE. Get what you want. Better to spend that extra 500 now and get what you really want instead of kicking yourself 6 months down the road. Also the XC is big and heavy, but after 5 mph you would never know it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
2 up riding

the inverted forks + dual discs are a big plus for 2 up riding, both items are costly upgrades. bolting on bags + windshields are less costly. a nice preowned vic can serve you well. brand new is nice but an example i bought a 13 hammer in 13 8xx miles on it for 10G with a tri-pro upgrade installed a 1G upgrade. test riding will tell you what you need

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot for all of the replies so far! I appreciate all of the advice.

I'd really like to stick with the cruiser line, so it sounds like I should give serious consideration to the hammer and the boulevard? Are one of those considered the "kingpin replacement" since they stopped making kingpins in '12? Is the gunner a bad choice for 2-up, even though a vic. sales guy suggested it?

Basically, I want a vic. cruiser, with floorboards for rider and passenger, a windshield, a backrest for the passenger, and saddlebags. If I buy new, I suppose I'll have to add those myself.

I'm also keeping my eye open on craigslist and cycle trader for a used kingpin, just in case. There are a couple out there near me (I'm in southern cali), but they're white or white/gold, and I'd really like a black.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
the hammer will need a different seat for rider comfort + its ride is "pretty firm" with the 40 series 250 tire, many myself included have installed a better rear shock. take some rides on the model you want, research is good but YOU are the only one that be pleased, beside your significant other of course. i looked daily on line + got lucky with my purchase. the owner traded for a cushy ride at the harley dealer + i got a good deal trading in my harley there. we all have different opinions + likes as well as economic guidelines, keep shopping + be patient.

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 for Crossroads!!!

My story (caution, long read): I had been looking at Victorys for a while and had narrowed it down to the Vegas 8 ball (just cause it looks so badass and was fairly minimal so I could customize). The only two bikes the dealer had for a test ride were the Vegas and a CC Tour. My wife likes to ride along and enjoyed the tour, didn't get to ride the Vegas cause it had no rear pegs. Soooo.... Of course I bought the Vegas and ordered rear touring seat... and backrest... and rear pegs, along with forward controls (all expensive as you'll find out).

I'm a medium tall guy (6'2') with a long inseam 34"-36".... Riding the Vegas for the 50 mile ride home was not fun - the bike just didn't fit me. Plus I bottomed the rear on a few not large bumps with no rider. I called the dealership back and they were good enough to exchange the Vegas at price paid for the Crossroads 8 Ball I love and ride now (+ some cash for the difference in bikes). I could not be more pleased! 1. Floorboards rock. Never wanted to ride a bike with them, but now don't want one without (and Vistory FB's and controls are adjustable in 3 positions). 2. Suspension is great (air ride and adjustable). If you're going to ride 2 up make sure you get the better suspension (engines are all the same). 3. Already set up for 2, but only rear passenger pegs on XR8. I ordered the passenger floorboards at $300 (anyone need a set of rear pegs?).

I liked the looks of the "soft" bags so I bought a set (kept hard bags for longer rides). Had to buy passenger backrest - and the one for x bikes is much better than the one available for Vegas. I'm not a fairing guy (but maybe that will change too!), so the Crossroads is perfect for me - and wife loves it.

I tried the boardwalk and Judge but I couldn't stretch out so they were not for me. Hammer wasn't very passenger friendly, not ready for the touring bikes (yet), XR Classic was awesome, but didn't want to clean spokes.

As everyone else said - ride them all and don't settle! Good luck and welcome in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh yeah.... Bags rock too! Never thought I'd have a bagger, but I sure don't miss riding with a backpack! I know your posts said you want a cruiser, but from what you've said re: 2 up I think you're making a mistake if you don't at least consider a cross bike or a CCT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow.... well, you all are convincing me to give serious thought to a cross roads. There's even a couple in my area, barely used. I'll go check them out!

I still love the look of the kingpin, though. Only way to tell is to start test riding them!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts