Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey folks, well im without a Harley for the first time since 1985. decided to buy a victory cross country... sold my roadglide a couple hours ago and im not disappointed. victory really gets you with a test ride, I took one out last Saturday and pulled the trigger, working out some finance issues and add ons now, will pick it up Saturday. the test ride really did sell me, I was amazed at how well the bike fit me, after trying different seats, bars, pegs, controls etc. for years on Harleys I sat down and it felt like it was made for me... the ride was great although I lost a 500 dollar pair of Oakley prescription glasses on the 1 hr long test ride... the dealer and my wife were thinking I skipped out! gotta say the bike was amazing and no second thoughts about jumping ship after 30 yrs on an h-d. anyway hope to enjoy this forum as well, see ya!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome. Have fun and ride safe. I don't think you will ever look back and will finally start ridding with a smile on your face. Enjoy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome and Congrats!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
hey folks, well im without a Harley for the first time since 1985. decided to buy a victory cross country... sold my roadglide a couple hours ago and im not disappointed. victory really gets you with a test ride, I took one out last Saturday and pulled the trigger, working out some finance issues and add ons now, will pick it up Saturday. the test ride really did sell me, I was amazed at how well the bike fit me, after trying different seats, bars, pegs, controls etc. for years on Harleys I sat down and it felt like it was made for me... the ride was great although I lost a 500 dollar pair of Oakley prescription glasses on the 1 hr long test ride... the dealer and my wife were thinking I skipped out! gotta say the bike was amazing and no second thoughts about jumping ship after 30 yrs on an h-d. anyway hope to enjoy this forum as well, see ya!

so much power you lost your Oakleys.....holy ****...:ltr:
Congrats and post pictures when you get it...cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the bike. I had my sights set on a Road Glide. However, Harley did the best thing they could have possibly done (for me anyway). They stopped production. This caused me to go and start looking at Victory. I feel the same way...like they made the bike for me. Never looked back. Managed to get a whole 3 days of riding in so far (of course it snowed last night and it's back down to 18 degrees....).

Welcome to the club!

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
After owning 1 Triumph and 2 Harley's I took my first Victory for a ride 1 year ago this coming Friday... I promptly placed my deposit and eagerly awaited my new Highball to arrive. I would still love me a Roadglide that looks something like this one... On the other hand this Vic XC is pretty sweet as well... ImageUploadedByMO Free1395796177.484586.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1395796189.837351.jpg

The wife says I have to finish our basement development prior to buying a second bike... ;)

·
Registered
355 Posts
welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
You can afford several pairs of Oakleys with the savings on maintenance and repairs that won't be needed on your Vic. BTW, don't waste your time looking for the other two oil drain plugs--they ain't there.
Welcome from the Pacific Northwet. Complete your profile so we know where you hang your helmet. Maybe there are Vic owners in your 'hood.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome

six Harleys and I'll never look back either! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
picked it up yesterday...

picked up the new cross country yesterday at arlen ness and rode it home, went to santa cruz last night with the wife and had a blast! its different in many ways and im going to list my first hundred mile assesment of the difference...(as i see it)

1. handling- it handles so well through the mountains its hard to believe its over 800lbs. my harley was a struggle to throw around and didnt track through turns well. the one issue i have with the victory in the handling area is with my wife on back (no jokes guys she weighs 125lbs!) coming to a stop the front wheel is hard to keep straight, whereas the harley rolled true to a stop.

2.power- my harley was puttin out 95hp 100tq which was nice power and i think it might have been a tad faster (only have the test bike to compare, since im breaking this one in) but i have arlens stage one kit, filter , big shot, arlens big honkers installed. but the victory power is strong and smooth after the first 1000 mil am putting some lloydz cams in it, ill know more after break in.

3. trans- it does clunk into gear, but a very positve feel and easy to find neutral, just getting used to a more solid shifting trans and first impression is i like it.

4.suspension- this is where i think the key to my liking this bike so much is, this thing just flat out handles road conditions unbelievable. i live in the santa cruz mountains and all those shovel ready jobs never made it up here, so the roads are pretty beat up and this bike just soaks em up.

5. controls- getting used to the turn indicator switch on the left side and using the little radio buttons are the downside to the controls for me, but no dealbreaker, the instruments are awesome and easy to see even for a 54 yr old blind guy. ill get used to the other stuff.

6. finish and quality- the bodywork and paint are top notch, they did scrimp in the area of some of the secondary parts, the front turn signals are more like a dirt bike add on than a v-twin, and the wires and connectors on top of the trans exposed is curious, but kickstand, seat, and ergonomically its excellent.

so hope this helps somebody... i loved my harley but it might have been mostly lust...im excited about riding more now than i have been since i was a lot younger, there was that time we all left for sturgis and only made it to boomtown before we blew all our money and had to panhandle just to get back home...

another thing, how do i post pics on this forum? im getting a enter url message? im low tech!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Nice review, one thing to remember when purchasing a new bike (I know you probably already know) is set up the suspension to your weight with passenger, it may help with your stopping as the bike may be soft and squatting a bit. The positive shifting feeling from the Trans will ease a bit after the break in period but still will feel firm. Congrats on the purchase....

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Forgot to mention, I picked up some wire loom to cover some of the exposed wires and really made it look better....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a former Roadie. Had a 2007 FXDSE and a 2011 FLTRX, both bikes had their strong points but got my HighBall and not looking back. Maybe someday I can have another touring bike.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
bdbagger...welcome to the wonderful world of Victory. It was the handling and comfort that got me too. I will address your concerns using the paragraph numbers you did...
1. Come to stops using only the rear brake and putting your left foot down. That will result in smoother, straighter stops.
2. Be patient Grasshopper--break-in takes a long time, maybe 3,000 miles or more. The difference after break-in will amaze and amuse you.
3. Preloading the shifter will produce smoother and quieter shifts.
6. Those wires atop the tranny were bothersome to me too, but after a bit of tidying up, that area looks better now.
My two faves in Santa Cruz are Zoccoli's Deli and the candy store just down the block that has chocolate covered bacon.:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not sure what you mean preload the shifter... double clutch? let me know, heres a pic of my roadglide and my new cross country. really loved the old girl, she just was overweight and a little rough around the edges... this is in the showroom before i left.

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice RG! But the XC is a 21st century cruiser/bagger IMHO.

Good choice! Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
not sure what you mean preload the shifter... double clutch? let me know, heres a pic of my roadglide and my new cross country. really loved the old girl, she just was overweight and a little rough around the edges... this is in the showroom before i left.
Preloading is lifting your left foot against the shifter prior to a gear change. When you do that, you'll find it will go into gear smoother and quieter, plus you will only have to pull the clutch in to the friction zone, not to the grip. Try it, you'll like it.
BTW, you will have more time to ride now cuz there is less maintenance and things to do on a Vic. And don't look for the other two drain plugs when changing the oil, they aren't there.:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts