Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Road Glide. I need a knee replacement and now have found out arthritis in my left hip. I need a lighter bike. I love the Highball but I have become used to the bagger style. I need a light bike that I can make long trips on because if I can't might as well sell and buy a scooter. Any advise from someone who has gone from a bagger to something like the Highball??? Any input would be appreciated greatly!!!!! Thanks.:confused:

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Test ride a Cross Roads. With lower center of gravity, you will think you're on a smaller displacement bike, yet you'll still be able to take the luggage with you.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have a 2008 Road Glide. I need a knee replacement and now have found out arthritis in my left hip. I need a lighter bike. I love the Highball but I have become used to the bagger style. I need a light bike that I can make long trips on because if I can't might as well sell and buy a scooter. Any advise from someone who has gone from a bagger to something like the Highball??? Any input would be appreciated greatly!!!!! Thanks.:confused:
I also found out this past year that I have severe arthritis in my right hip...sucks getting old. I still went ahead and purchased a 2013 Cross Country and I'm not having any issues with the weight or size in regards to my arthritis (don't need a knee replaced like you but maybe my hip in the near future). The floorboards really help me to stretch out and/or move my legs and get comfortable on long rides.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scotchbrair

Can I ask what you had before? I truly love the Road Glide but it is a heavy SOB. And I road to Norfolk with two guys on Vision's and they absolutely loved them. Hence, I am on a Victory forum. I love the looks of the throwback Highball but don't know if my lovely bride will be ok. She doesn't go on super long rides like I do but on a pretty saturday, she enjoys it.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Prior to my 2013 XC I rode a 2006 Vstar 1100 Silverado. The XC is a much larger and longer bike that weighs more than my Vstar. I think the weight of a cross country is 760 pounds which is nearly 100 pounds more than the Vstar. The balance of the bike, with the seat height, in addition to the floorboards seem to work for my hip when I ride. Not so much on the Vstar. After spending 21 hours on the Vstar over two-days last summer my hip needed something new! I came home and bought the XC and sold my Vstar. Nearly 2,500 miles later I'm really pleased with my decision. Take a test ride on a XR, XC or XCT and see how it feels.

Good luck and arthritis sucks!!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
My Cross Country Tour rides, handles & is faster than any other bike I've had. I love it! I do appreciate the look and style of a nice HD but I'll stick with my XCT.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Try out an X bike or Vision. Lots of wiggle room and well balanced with a low seat height. Can't hurt to shop and you may be surprised.
Good luck

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have you tried the High Ball Any length of time.

I'm a old fart myself and can ride 4-5 hr. before I am done. And that's with plenty of luggage and some stops along the way, But that's what this is all about.
Only solo on these trips, but short trips through the country is good for two.
This thing is so fun and easy to maneuver.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
Unless of course I could afford two.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Can I ask what you had before? I truly love the Road Glide but it is a heavy SOB. And I road to Norfolk with two guys on Vision's and they absolutely loved them. Hence, I am on a Victory forum. I love the looks of the throwback Highball but don't know if my lovely bride will be ok. She doesn't go on super long rides like I do but on a pretty saturday, she enjoys it.
I came to my 2013 Vision from a 2011 FLTRU, Road Glide Ultra. I love this bike but I think it feels almost as heavy as my HD did when I am pushing it around in the driveway. Once I am moving it rides seemingly lighter although the actual weight is within 20 or 30 pounds of the HD's weight. As has already been suggested the Crossroads is truly a lighter bike and if you don't mind a used bike I would be looking at a Kingpin. The Kingpin is a lighter bike with a lower center of gravity so it should definitely feel lighter. The last production year was 2012 so you are unlikely to find even a held over new one any more.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought one!!!!!!!!

Bought a 13 Red Cross Country today!!!!!!! Pick up Monday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts