Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Joined to gather more information about the Victory products.

We spent several hours test riding near Dayton this past week (demo truck was there).

We ride with full face helmets and other protective gear.

One characteristic we value is being able to ride without ear plugs.

We found that the Cross Country bikes had moderate wind noise in stock form.

We experimented with the stock mirror in different positions on a CC Tour with an aftermarket screen of a height similar to the stock blade shield.

The wind noise was essentially completely absent with the stock mirrors rotated 180 degrees (turbulence could be felt coming around the mirrors in the standard position). Rotating the mirrors inward got them out of the wind stream coming around the stock bat-wing fairing.

This maneuver also decreased but did not eliminate buffeting on the standard CC (without lowers and top case but with the "blade" windscreen).

We were unable to test this maneuver on a CC with the aftermarket screen, but would predict a more significant decrease in wind noise.

We also rode the CR LE with a tall windscreen. This was our first test ride bike and we did not play with the mirrors. My earplugs were in. There was a marked decrease in wind noise/buffeting when the helmet opening in front of my chin was blocked with my left hand. This worked whether the helmet face shield was open in various positions or completely close. Thus good helmet air circulation could still be achieved. A full face helmet could be easily modified with a piece of open cell foam to block with opening in front of the chin.

We are hoping to test ride a CC with the aftermarket standard height windscreen (similar height as the blade screen) in the near future and see how well the mirror rotation works with this set up.

Should the latter be a success, we will purchase. Mods would include the aftermarket blade height screen and rotating/changing the mirrors. We would consider adjustable mirrors mounted on the lateral halves of the speaker cover grids. Some baffling may needed within the speaker pods to direct the sound more directly back towards the riders and away from the mirror mounts. This mod would only work if you don't end up looking at your hands on the handlebar grips but rather have a clear view to the sides and behind the bike.

BTW, we have ridden multiple HDs (rentals and test rides) and they are not in the same class on multiple levels in our opinions. If fact, we named one "The Bike From Hell."

Best regards to all members.......cheers

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
Welcome WB. It appears as though you are being very analytical in trying to decide what works best for you and that's a very good thing. When it comes to dickering about the price, you can have a list of how you want your bike to be as it rolls out the door. That way, you're bargaining for the entire package at once.
Don't know what your height is, I'm 5-10 and the medium windscreen works ideally for me on my XR. I for one, appreciate that you wear protection. I'm a strong adherent of the saying, "you crash in what you are wearing."
Good luck in your search. Do keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts