Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a trip to see Rylan Vos at the Vic shop. I now have a motor with cams, upgraded charging and a 2002 transmission. It will be really nice to ride with all of the new horse pawer and torque. ImageUploadedByMO Free1389801778.827309.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Boy, that slip says it was NOT a wasted trip.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope I don't think it was eaither. Best 3 day trip I have had in a while. Now just need some good weather so i can ride it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The other good thing is that I got the upgraded transmission and charging system as well. I just wish the weather would not suck so bad here right now. Snow and cold for the next several days.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Good for you man. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Those are nice results. I was under the impression that there was no
fix or upgrade for these transmissions. what was done exactly.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great to see someone keeping these awesome originals on the road. My 1999 V92C has a 2003 transmission installed under warranty in 2004 & the 38amp upgrade recently installed in my garage after smokin' the original voltage regulator. It has 10.5:1 high comp pistons & Andrews 402 cams. There are upgrades & improvement for these originals but it boils down to a money thing more than availability-if you love these original bikes like I do it's worth it to keep 'em going-here's an old dyno run(6-5-03)from mine-nothing spectacular but it sure takes off and runs strong-see you on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn, there are several ways to fix the transmission. What Rylan did is put one out of a 2002 motor. Any of the 92 motors transmission will fit.

I do love these old bikes and want to keep them going. I love the bike and hope to keep this one going for a long time. This motor had a little head work, 10.2 pistons, 402 cams, 2002 transmission, upgraded 38 amp charging system. I look forward to riding it soon.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Oh,OK so can the parts be bought at a Victory dealer or do you try to
find a bad motor with a good trans?

The reason I'm asking is in case my trans fails i would like to fix it and keep her on the road.

Thanks

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't know if you would want to pay the amount for the trams from ma vic. What most do is instal a newer freedom 92" in these old bikes. I lucked out and was able to buy this fresh rebuilt hammer motor with all of the work done to it plus the upgrades for less than a freedom would have cost me. I had been watching for a while and got lucky on this one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I never understood the issues with these trany's. Ive asked on this and other forums what exactly go's wrong with 3rd gear. Is it the gear itself that go's bad and if so why cant a good machine shop make the
parts if not available through Victory. Looking on ebay a motor would
cost about 2k with shipping and would still need to buy other parts to complete the job. seems that a machine shop can make the parts needed for a hell of a lot less. I wouldn't be afraid of doing the work myself. Anyway there has to be a way to repair these things.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not expert on this by any means, but I think it bends some other parts. Mine was doing hard to get into 1st and an occasional missed shift into 4th if I was into it at all. I am sure the part can be made, but I ok now they made other fixes to. The problem is if it breaks how will you duplicate it. The nice thing about putting a freedom motor in ins you get all of the updates as in the charging system, transmission and the different heads.

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK, that makes sense to me, If you have mutable issues with the transmission it would be pretty costly to buy a complete trans + labor.
I guess as an old HD guy you can buy a compete new trans for about
800.00 bucks and your good to go. It's just a shame that you gotta
toss a perfectly good motor for a bad trans.
So far my trans seems to be holding up other than clunky it shifts through the gears without issues. I really like this bike and would like to keep it for a while. I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is one of the bad things about having a motor and trams together, but only 1 oil change is nice. I would have probably been fine, but wanted the price of mind that came with the trams being from a newer bike. I have been watching for a year for a freedom to come up at a good price. Than when I saw Rylan had this one for sale I could not pass it up. I hope to have many long years on this bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts