Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started yesterday, or at least I first noticed it yesterday. Backed my Gunner out of garage and started it. After I put my gear on, I sat on the bike, and pulled in the clutch and noticed a very low volume whine or whirring noise. Not very loud, but enough for my poor hearing to pick up. Definitely related to having the clutch pulled, and I think I can pick a very slight change or additional buzz as well. I know, not a lot of good information, but any ideas or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Just started yesterday, or at least I first noticed it yesterday. Backed my Gunner out of garage and started it. After I put my gear on, I sat on the bike, and pulled in the clutch and noticed a very low volume whine or whirring noise. Not very loud, but enough for my poor hearing to pick up. Definitely related to having the clutch pulled, and I think I can pick a very slight change or additional buzz as well. I know, not a lot of good information, but any ideas or suggestions?
Give it some gas and let the clutch out.
I never listen for strange noises, or I may start hearing them.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Is it possible to get video of the occurrence?

·
Registered
784 Posts
A new noise on a Vic?! :eek: Say it isn't so!!

OK, not making fun per say, but if it bothers you take it and get the glitch noted for future reference by your dealer. Don't get mad if it is something they can't hear or feel. You ride it every day and they don't.

You'll get new noises and feels for quite some time with a Vic. These things have really challenged my Ve-Hicular Paranoia. ;)

You are probably fine or need a small adjustment in something, if that, but worth getting noted just in case.

cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not sure if you would hear something like that on a wet clutch but iI know on dry clutches the sound you are describing is usually the discs still coming into slight contact with the pressure plate. Could be something as simple as a clutch cable adjustment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was getting a similar sound from my clutch a couple days ago,and I only had 600 miles on the bike. My clutch cable was too tight and it was barely engaging. I guess either they adjusted it too tight from the factory, or while breaking in, it's initial use took the needed slack out of itself while everything was seating? After the adjustment no more whine from the transmission. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you too.

·
12,972 Posts
If the noise keeps up I think your throw out bearing is going out on you

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
If the noise keeps up I think your throw out bearing is going out on you
This is what I thought too. Keep an ear on it and see if it gets any worse.

Also; did you by chance put a windshield on your bike recently? One time I put a little handlebar mounted windshield on a Softail I had at the time and all of a sudden I could hear all the engine noises I didn't before. Kinda like making a cup in back of your ear with your hand to hear better I suppose.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what I thought too. Keep an ear on it and see if it gets any worse.

Also; did you by chance put a windshield on your bike recently? One time I put a little handlebar mounted windshield on a Softail I had at the time and all of a sudden I could hear all the engine noises I didn't before. Kinda like making a cup in back of your ear with your hand to hear better I suppose.
I was thinking throw out bearing as well. I've got a fly screen on it, but thst's been on for a while.

I have a service coming up soon, I will definitely mention it, if for no other reason than to give the dealer the pleasure of saying either, we can't hear it or they all do that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts