Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through as many threads as I could locate and can't seem to find an answer. I have an 07 King Pin Tour, had 600 miles on it, it now has 37,000. Last summer I heard a "new" sound, more like a "roar" than a click or clack....and not exactly sure where it is coming from, other than it sounds like the rear rather than the front of the bike. It also does not "sound off" until it is good and warm. It does not seem to affect performance. I do pull a Kwik Kamp, probably half of those miles, except that last year I did not pull the trailer at all. My dear husband drained all the oils and has attempted to check things out. Unfortunately I am not able to be more specific with the exact type of noise or the location in order to help him out. The nearest dealer is 100 miles and I'm hoping not to have to take it down there. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Check belt tension. When the belt warms up it could be getting too tight.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Yeah when its hot you should be able to shove the belt up a little with one finger.
Though unless someones messed with your belt adjustment at the last tyre change it really should get a tiny bit looser over time not tighter. Mine hasnt been touched from 7000-50,000 miles and is now a little looser than it was at 7000.
I prefer it that way.
As for trying to diagnose a noise over the internet..good luck.
Let your husband ride it and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
In addition to checking the belt tension, also get the bike up in the air and check your wheel bearings. I have heard wheel bearings only make noise when they're warm, so I would ride it until it's good and warm and roaring and then put it up in the air and spin the wheels

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PHP:
Thanks for the thoughts. He has it on the lift now changing the oil, which it needed. If he can't find anything I may have to try and take it out on Thursday, (I try and get him to ride my Vic, but he is afraid he may like it too much!!), it is supposed to get to 60 here, but windy. Kind of unheard of for WY in the winter!

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Thats a valid fear :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Could be your rear tire , check for cupping , imperfections , signs of impact trauma , and tire pressure . I have seen many a car tire that looks fine make a racket that you wouldn't believe ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts