Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry from the get go if this topic ruffles some feathers, but from a laymen, the new Octane sure does look like an Indian Scout in different clothing. The family and I went to the local Indian/Victory dealer yesterday and I had a good close look at the Scout. Sure as hell looks like the new Octane to me. Is the motor the same displacement?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Sorry from the get go if this topic ruffles some feathers, but from a laymen, the new Octane sure does look like an Indian Scout in different clothing. The family and I went to the local Indian/Victory dealer yesterday and I had a good close look at the Scout. Sure as hell looks like the new Octane to me. Is the motor the same displacement?
Its a Scout after it watched an episode of SoA..... lol
Octane has a slightly big displacement.

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
13,262 Posts
Maybe the new Indian coming out will look like the Octane

Reactions: SubDude

·
Registered
632 Posts
From a distance except for the gas tank, It has a strong resemblance to my Gunner, Maybe it's because of the color ??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of things look like other things, what's the point?
Read the first post in the thread Vic. Exactly what it says. Is the new Octane the same as the Indian Scout.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The motor factory has been doing this for decades. They all look alike outside the hideous Road Glyde. I'll never understand how someone see that bike as attractive. Maybe they have an ugly woman at home?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Read the first post in the thread Vic. Exactly what it says. Is the new Octane the same as the Indian Scout.
Yeah, there similar. I'm guessing a lot of the stuff inside the engine is similar too. I knew before the octane came out, that it would be similar to the scout.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When the Scout first came out, I thought something was a little 'off' with the look of the bike to begin with. The engine looks completely different than the 111 Thunderstroke engine. I understand that it's a different displacement, and water-cooled... but the styling of that engine just seemed a little different... a little too modern looking for a line of bikes that were supposed to be so 'classic'.

Anyway, the day before the Octane was finally released, I was in one of the biggest Victory/Indian dealerships in Maine, and was speaking to the owner. He said that the thought among the dealers was that the water-cooled Victory was in the works in around 2013, but the Corporate folks felt that slapping an Indian badge on it and releasing it as an Indian would fetch a little more money, as well as build on their newly acquired Indian line. They felt that they would get a hell of a lot more bang for their buck by doing this, as opposed to releasing it as a Victory.

I'm not sure if that is true or not... but honestly, that does make sense. In my opinion, that engine looks a hell of a lot more at home in the Octane than it does in the Scout. Don't get me wrong... I love the Scout. I just think that it ties in nicer to the look of the Octane.

I personally wouldn't mind driving the hell out of either of the bikes. I was all set to get a Scout this year as my second bike to go with my XC 8 Ball. But I'm wondering if the Octane may show up in my garage instead...

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
Yeah echoes my thoughts on the thinking behind the marketing of the Scout before the Octane.
A natural progression and the looks of the Octane are right on.
From looking at some promo vids Vic is touting the Octane as a starting point for individualisation in style, paint, and Performance.
All at a cost if course but its a great starter as it is.
Anyone here good enough to Photoshop a 111 Thunderstroke into the Octane chassis?

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
When the Scout first came out, I thought something was a little 'off' with the look of the bike to begin with. The engine looks completely different than the 111 Thunderstroke engine. I understand that it's a different displacement, and water-cooled... but the styling of that engine just seemed a little different... a little too modern looking for a line of bikes that were supposed to be so 'classic'.

Anyway, the day before the Octane was finally released, I was in one of the biggest Victory/Indian dealerships in Maine, and was speaking to the owner. He said that the thought among the dealers was that the water-cooled Victory was in the works in around 2013, but the Corporate folks felt that slapping an Indian badge on it and releasing it as an Indian would fetch a little more money, as well as build on their newly acquired Indian line. They felt that they would get a hell of a lot more bang for their buck by doing this, as opposed to releasing it as a Victory..

I believe that's exactly right. Many dealers were shown pictures of the 'Octane' and were told it was coming as a new entry level Victory. Only the corporate folks at Polaris Industries decided to make a few design changes and release it as the Indian Scout. IMHO, the ONLY things the Scout has in common with the Indian line are the make and model names. There simply isn't anything else on the Scout that says it belongs anywhere in the Indian line up. Not so with the Octane as to me, it flows nicely as a Victory Motorcycle.

So yes, the "new" Victory is finally out as the Octane a few years after Indian has already taken much its spotlight.

Sad really but it does serve to show what Polaris Industries actually think of Victory Motorcycles. I suspect Indian will continue to get most of the new, fun and sexy items while Victory riders will be sold and marketed the slightly modified hand me downs from Indian.

I have nothing against the Octane as a motorcycle and I hope it sells very well. My beef is with Polaris Industries and the sphincter muscles running Victory Motorcycles / Victory Marketing who are making these decisions. The real Octane fanfare was held when this group released it as the Indian Scout.

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
I wouldnt buy a Scout mainly cos of its old style looks.
Wheras I would buy an Octane cos it looks the goods, modern, futuristic and bold.
Indian looks old Victory looks new.
Light years ahead.
Beam me up Scotty!

Reactions: AfterDarker

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
octane looks better to me!!

the better sized wheels really changes the looks for the better + i like the trimmer bodywork, looks like same crappy front brake!!! sorry for the repete complaint but more moaning may get the aftermarket moving.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Just got my latest cycle world where the octane is the cover bike. The article claims the octane and scout share about 35% of the same parts. What ever Polaris says you can tell they are pretty much the same bike. Looks like Polaris is going back on what they said about the two lines being totally different.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Oh yea!!!

that photoshop hits it! i was concerned it would be too sporty aka extreme riding position not suited for prolonged comfort. silly me!!!

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
@TNXR the same but different.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts