Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello High Ballers ! forst of all, i wish you all a great new year 2020

well, i will start this year, asking some info about the best Oil (not the brand) but weight to put into my High Ball

no need to go into complex and technical answers ahahaha

i' ve read that Vic says to use 20W40 but read that many of you use different kinds....

so wich one seems the best ?

here it's never hot like in Texas and never cold like in alaska. it's a Mediteranean wheather. 40°C max in summer, and -10C in winter.... and in both case i dont ride my bike ahahah i go swimm to the pool or i go skiing ;)

and if you can tell me wich Oil Filter to pick up online it would be top !

i know hundreds of OIL posts were posted before; i read lots of them; but didnt found a clear answer !

thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Are you in Greece?

It really depends on what oil you have available there. Over here we have brands like Rotella, Amsoil, Redline, Victory, etc. to choose from. You can run(15) 20/40 semi synthetic or even 20/50 full synthetic. The key thing is it must be wet clutch compatible. Over here the rating is JASO MA or MA2. Over there you may need to figure out how they rate it to be equal to that. Japan has a different rating as well. If you have Rotella there; you can use the 15w40 T6 full synthetic if it's available. Don't use the 5w/40. Too thin.

Once you figure that out then stick with it as long as it doesn't make your clutch slip. Many will say that indicates a separate clutch adjustment or wear problem but that's another discussion altogether. I don't necessarily go by the recommended intervals. I go by how the shifting feels. In both my Vic's the shifting gets "notchy" or less smooth so I go ahead and change it then. That always happens before the recommended interval for me.

As usual, this is just my opinion and when it comes to oil, everyone has one of their own.

There's a lot of info in my signature below if you can see it. Here's a link that has some oil filter options. "Belt Size by Model and Year"

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Clean oil. I like full Synthetic Rotella T6.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Use what the manual calls for or close and change it when the manual says you are supposed to, not rocket science.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Use what the manual calls for or close and change it when the manual says you are supposed to, not rocket science.
We have a winner!!!

Name brand, wet clutch compatible....BAM good to go.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
We have a winner!!!
Nah. Every manual will say replace oil sooner when operating under harsh conditions. The recommended interval is nothing more than a guideline. Use common sense and some brain power.

What constitutes harsh conditions? Things like riding two up with luggage, high heat, high speeds and rpms, tarmac training slipping the clutch a lot, lots of mountain roads, etc. etc.

YMMV, FWIW, JMHO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, no i'm not in Greece, but in Paris France, sorry ahaha yes i know some people do french bashing, due to political stuff, i'm not into that i love everyone ahahaha

more seriously, i noticed that everyone talks about the 20w50 that is too thick, and all i can find about a good oil for this Vic motors, are 20W40 .... but not so easy to find, at least here in france.

what about 15w40 ? it coudl seem a stupid question for most of you, but as new Victory owner, i don't know if there's specifities to respect with those motors

so any advice ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and what about the synthetic, mineral; semi synthetic, and so on... wich fits the best to our Vic ?

mine is a 2014 if it makes a difference

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
40w forget the first number and ride the crap out of it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You will be OK with the 15/40, The simple explanation is the 15 is the flow rate cold and the 40 is the protection of the 40 weight at operating temperatures.
The 15 weight will flow a little easier than the 20 on a cool morning and the 40 weight is what the engine is designed for at the high operational temps

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
more seriously, i noticed that everyone talks about the 20w50 that is too thick, and all i can find about a good oil for this Vic motors, are 20W40 .... but not so easy to find, at least here in france.

what about 15w40 ? it coudl seem a stupid question for most of you, but as new Victory owner, i don't know if there's specifities to respect with those motors
15w/40 semi or full synthetic is just fine; just make sure it's wet clutch compatible. The 20w/50 full synthetic is also just fine. Full synthetic has smaller uniform molecules so it works in a bit higher weight which is really great for those who routinely ride in temps over 100 F. Not sure what that is in C.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just found a Castrol power 1 15W50 at a good price on the Amazon(france) do you think it would do the job ?

i ve read here and there that the W50 was not that good, ? if yes why ? if not i'll go for a 10W40 and that's it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
15w/40 semi or full synthetic is just fine; just make sure it's wet clutch compatible. The 20w/50 full synthetic is also just fine. Full synthetic has smaller uniform molecules so it works in a bit higher weight which is really great for those who routinely ride in temps over 100 F. Not sure what that is in C.
100°F are about 37°C wich is good while swimming at the sea. not so common in Paris ! and usualy i prefer not to use my moto as i will wear a pair of short and tshirt !! ahahaha

what is this story about wet clutch ?? is there any difference with Victory clutches and other motorcycles ?(i always owned japaneese before for the last 20 years)

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Bikes with a wet clutch use an oil with the right blend of friction modifiers in it. It also must suspend clutch disc particles. If you use one not made for wet clutches then you could get clutch slippage. Ducati's don't use a wet clutch and Harley's have a separate primary oil that uses a different oil than the engine and trans. Basically if you find an oil approved for a wet clutch Japanese bike then you should be okay as long as it's in the right weight range (40w). You could probably get away with a non-synthetic rather than the semi-synthetic Polaris calls for if you have to. I'd change the oil a little more frequently if so but that's just me. We do what we gotta.

You don't seem to be getting the semi-synthetic and full synthetic significance either; probably due to a language translator. The 50w full synthetic is pretty much the same as 40w non or semi-synthetic. I only mention it because I don't know what you have available there.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,769 Posts
We have a winner!!!

Name brand, wet clutch compatible....BAM good to go.
Name brand?
Walmart oil passes fine on my oil analysis.
Oil is more regulated than food in US. Lol

JASO MA oil. Wet clutch safe. It's on back of label. And yes, the popular Rotella T6 meets that spec.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bikes with a wet clutch use an oil with the right blend of friction modifiers in it. It also must suspend clutch disc particles. If you use one not made for wet clutches then you could get clutch slippage. Ducati's don't use a wet clutch and Harley's have a separate primary oil that uses a different oil than the engine and trans. Basically if you find an oil approved for a wet clutch Japanese bike then you should be okay as long as it's in the right weight range (40w). You could probably get away with a non-synthetic rather than the semi-synthetic Polaris calls for if you have to. I'd change the oil a little more frequently if so but that's just me. We do what we gotta.

You don't seem to be getting the semi-synthetic and full synthetic significance either; probably due to a language translator. The 50w full synthetic is pretty much the same as 40w non or semi-synthetic. I only mention it because I don't know what you have available there.

Hey BBob ! well; changing oil on a Victory in France, with the poor specific oil market that we have, seems to be more complicate that i thought ! i know that if i bring it to any garage they will fill it with 10w40 that they have; without paying attention to wet clutch story ahahah so i prefer to find my oil by my self.

well; i don't use a language translator ahahaha i'm my own translator :) but ok sometimes i miss some specific vocabulary, so here we can find Mineral oil (non synthetic) or semi synthetic. or 100% synthetic;

i can buy this one : Castrol Power 1 4T 15W-50 semi synthetic (API SN / JASO MA-2)

there's also the same in 10W40 or 20W50 but they don't tell anything about wet clutch ....

so sincerly i dont want to bother you at all; but i'm lost !!! ahahaha

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
You're no bother bro. Just commenting on the message being understood. Forums are notorious for being misunderstood because things like humor doesn't come across the same as in person or even on the phone where we can hear the other person's voice.

Anyway, I looked up the Castrol oil you mentioned and this is what I found, so if this is what you have there then it should be fine.

This semi-synthetic would also be fine.

Or this one.

Not sure what the difference is between the last two but they both have the JASO MA rating so they should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
As long as it says JASMO your good. May not say anything about wet clutch. I think the letters stand for something like "Japanese Spec Motorcycle Oil" If you dont have temps in high 90+ F range I would say stay with the 10w40 or whatever oil.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Triumph motorcycles had partnered with Castrol, it's their factory oil.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts