Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all.

I've been a member for a few months, but I didn't have a Victory yet. In January, almost two months ago, my buddy and I bought new Cross Country Tours at a dealership in Connecticut (about 120 miles away - there are closer Victory dealers, but the price in CT was a lot better).

In any case, Wednesday (two days ago), with almost no snow left on the ground, we actually rode them home - all back roads, varying the throttle, etc. - and next Tuesday we're riding back, for the initial service.

So, I have a red XCT, and it looks remarkably like the thousands of other red XCTs. I had the dealer put on a KlockWerks Flip instead of the stock windshield (free labor, since the bike was still in the crate, and he had to put on some windshield - my wife took the stocker home in the car). So far, I've added: the OEM RAM mount holder and ball (I have an extension and GPS mount already); a lay-down license-plate thingy from RicZ; a shorty flexible antenna; and the Vic oil-temp dipstick. Bought but not installed yet are a Stebel Nautilus horn, Vic's Powerlet add-on, chrome passenger handrails, and Motolights left over from my last bike.

That's the bike. Me, I'm old enough to collect social security (which I've been doing for a couple of years). I live in a suburb of Albany, which is the capital of NY, about 150 miles north of NYC and 170 miles west of Boston.

I've been riding (excluding teenage years on other people's dirt bikes) for about 15 years. I had, in order: a BMW R850R for three years; a Honda Valkyrie Interstate for seven years; and a Suzuki Burgman 650 (yeah, scooter) for five years. Took the MSF Beginner's and Experienced courses in the Beemer days. In the Valk period, I got certified as an MSF RiderCoach and taught for a couple summers; I also took the Lee Parks Advanced Riding Clinic on it. You'll notice a continuing feet-forward progression among those bike purchases.

The Valk was a full-bagger similar to the XCT, except that its weight is carried much higher (and its seat, too). Since it was getting too difficult for me to confidently hold up when stopped or backing up, I went with the Burger. The Burger was a lot of fun, and its relative lightness (actually, it was about 100 lbs. heavier than the Beemer) and also low CofG made it a welcome change. (Incidentally, I'm into farkling; if you're interested, you can see what I did to the Burger at this page on my web site: http://www.billanddot.com/burgman/ .)

So far, I like the XCT a lot, which is not surprising, since I did a lot of test-riding of the XC, XR, etc., last year at Americade and during a factory-truck-demo stop nearby here. In addition to factors I could tell during test rides - excellent handling, low CofG, ample ground clearance, not a Harleyesque paint-shaker at idle - I was moved to buy it because of: adjustable passenger boards (really); excellent suspension travel; the air-adjustable preload; aluminum frame; almost zero maintenance (and, unlike HD, only one place to put oil); lots of room for my wife's hair dryer, multiple pairs of jeans, etc.

I've discovered that what I don't like about the XCT is checking the air in the rear tire and checking the oil, neither of which I've done yet. Okay, the oil's not too bad, but you can't do it off the bike. Regarding the rear tire valve, you can see it pretty easily from the right side, but the belt and pulley limit getting to it; from the left, you must have to get way down on the ground, and the bottom of the left saddlebag will be right in your face. Suggestions?

Okay, that should be enough for an introduction. Probably too much, huh?

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the Victory forums!

The easiest way to check the rear tire and oil is to put the bike on a lift or pick it up a few inches with a motorcycle jack.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the Victory forums!

The easiest way to check the rear tire and oil is to put the bike on a lift or pick it up a few inches with a motorcycle jack.
Ammo,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,

Bill

US Army (1968 - 1972)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome and your new bike sounds nice. I live in CT, however, my grandmother is in a nursing home in Ballston Spa,she's 109, so during the good weather months I ride up there about once a month. Some really nice back roads up there, over into VT and back through MA. Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome and your new bike sounds nice. I live in CT, however, my grandmother is in a nursing home in Ballston Spa,she's 109, so during the good weather months I ride up there about once a month. Some really nice back roads up there, over into VT and back through MA. Enjoy your new ride.
jk,

Thanks for the comments. My wife has family members in Ballston Spa, so I know the area well. And her father has a house in Lake Desolation - superb riding around there.

109? She must be trying to get into the Guiness book o' records.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What dealer did you go with? I'm thinking it was the same as me.
My buddy and I went with Shark Cycle, Stafford Springs, CT. I have a dealer about 15 miles away, but he wouldn't even come close to the deal Bob @ Shark was offering (at least in January, at least on the XCT).

I don't know how consistently these deals appear, i.e., your mileage may vary, but we were both extremely pleased with the pricing and how we were treated there. And we're heading back there this coming Tuesday (i.e., six days after pick up) for our initial service.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That's where I bought too. I don't know how he does it but I'm glad he does. I've been to four other dealers in CT. and I can't get comfortable with them. Their lack of knowledge of the product, and the way they deal with customers surprises the hell out of me. I stopped into the closest to me on Friday to get oil and a filter. It took two people to look up the filter, the price was higher than Shark and it took about ten minutes.:crzy: Then I stopped into the showroom to look at the CC and CCT they have. A salesman was sitting five feet from me playing on the computor, never said Hello, Can I help you? Too bad Shark wasn't closer, 60 miles , this guy is 6. Good luck and enjoy your bikes,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts