Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here today and am trying to research the Victory Vision. Right now I own a 2011 HD FLTRU, a 2007 Yamaha Royal tour star deluxe (the Venture that does not have a trunk), a 1981 Honda water cooled 500 cc V-twin shafty called a CX-500C, and a 1965 BMW R-60.

My plan is to replace the HD and the Yamaha with a new touring bike but as usual you only see what they want you to see at a dealer. How about little bits of information like the load carrying capacity? My wife and I are each heavy people and many bikes are limiting when I start to add up allowable loadings. The Yamaha can carry us and maybe 10 pounds of luggage. The classic BMW is nice to have but not up to date in terms of modern engineering. It will carry us both with ease but drum brakes, a leading link front suspension and other "features" make it best for a short weekend jaunt, not for touring.

I can read GVW and dry weight on line but what is its unladen weight so that I can do the math?

Does it require premium fuel like my HD does? Around home I know where to find that premium fuel but when I am out of town I sometimes need to drive through 3 or 4 stations before I find the right octane at any pump, not to mention the premium fuel price. Out in the places I like to ride, it may mean 3 or 4 towns to find the right fuel, with only one gas station in each town.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Does it require premium fuel like my HD does? Around home I know where to find that premium fuel but when I am out of town I sometimes need to drive through 3 or 4 stations before I find the right octane at any pump, not to mention the premium fuel price. Out in the places I like to ride, it may mean 3 or 4 towns to find the right fuel, with only one gas station in each town.
The following octanes are best used (without pinging and pre-detonation) as follows:
- 87 Octane works best if ridden in ambient temperatures below 75°F
- 89 Octane works best if ridden in ambient temperatures above 75°F but below 85°F
- 91 Octane if ridden in ambient temperatures above 85°F

But, the owners manual cannot get into this much detail, and will simply recommend the highest octane rating so you can ride through the desert and not blow it up. Higher octane fuel requires more heat to burn correctly.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got in a short test drive on an 08 Vision Tour today and my overall impression was quite good. The bike handled well and the drive train felt solid. All electrics seemed to work as expected, always a plus.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
How'd you and the wife fit on it? Was it roomy enough?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry but my wife did not arrive soon enough. All that I have to go on is my own impressions, which were very good. My wife will be out of town for about 2 weeks so until then all I will have is personal impressions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is what I have, 2008 Vision Tour Premium, I figure about 400 for the wife, me, and the accessorys and about 250/300 for the trailer with all of her stuff in it. Never had a problem pulling the trailer. As stated by CrossRoads, I run a lower octane when I can in the cooler weather, and premium in the summer time. As it has been stated many times on this fourm, as long as there is no spark knock you are good to go. The trailer hitch was one of the first things I put on the bike. With about 5,000 bike and trailer combined, and another 40,000 on the bike, I have not had a problem.

Buster

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A major update here.
A week or so after my last post I had a chance to test ride a new Vision and I loved it, but my wife was out of town and we all know that when momma's not happy, nobody's happy.

Last week I hoped to get momma on a Vision for a test ride. She woke up Thursday morning with enough back pain that the paramedics came to my home to lift her off the toilet and transport her to the local emergency room. So much for my Friday test ride. When Friday came, I was to take the dogs to the groomer because momma was just not up to it although she was able to move around a bit. They are really her dogs, not mine. I tried to take the dogs in but one lost his balance trying to jump into the car and fell backward with a hind foot caught under the seat. Picture a dog laying on his back on the driveway with his hind foot caught under the car seat. I could see he was in pain so I tried to pick him up so that he could free his leg, this is a 60 pound dog folks. Well to make a long story short, he was panicking and in pain and grabbed the first thing he saw, my left hand. Now the tale gets worse, I felt him chewing my hand so I reached out to pry his jaw off of it and he darned near took the tip off my ring finger on the other hand. Needless to say there was no test ride that day. I spent the day getting stitched up in the emergency room instead.

Fast forward to today my wife feels her back is not in such bad shape and the doctor has grudgingly given me a clean bill of health for my hand, even though it is not yet time to remove the stitches. It is also a 55F day locally, so not bad riding weather compared to some of the temperatures we often ride in. It was time to take momma for a test ride. I arrived at my Vic dealer and my wife immediately told me the Vision was just too tall for her to mount the pillion seat. So much for that. I decided to test drive a CCT, which I had never even tried before. I came back unconvinced but willing to let her try it out. A short test ride and she had very mixed feelings. The bike was definitely short enough for her to mount easily but the seat was a bit too hard and she felt vibrations up her back whenever I accelerated at all. She also felt the backrest on the trunk and the seat itself were a bit too hard for her liking. I was not about to give up the Vision that I had so enjoyed when I rode it solo so I told her to do her best and get on it for me. She did and admitted that it was not so bad after all when we had gone about a mile and were at a stop light. We rode a few more miles of twisties and interstate and returned to the dealer. When I questioned her on our return she told me that after her trouble mounting she had been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the ride itself. She has since said that she much prefers the Vision to the CCT, just as I did, so she is ready for me to start the deal making process with that local dealer.

Give me a few weeks to find the color that I want and a decent deal and I will be a Vision owner, with a full sign off from home.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Have Momma step on the platform and get on. The bike wll not tip. I know guys who get on this way when the trunk is on. I took my trunk off because I ride solo and also I don't like the way it looks. BTW trunk comes off with 3 tools in about 5 minutes. After riding about 300 miles I can say I made a wise choice but the XC still appeals to me as well. I have only one complaint. I don't like the mirrors. Looking at my hand is annoying. Otherwise 10 out 10 on power, ride, wind control,braking, acceleration, looks, storage

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is the dog OK?::eek:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dog is just fine Mark, although some people who know me are surprised by that. They seem to think I would have made sure by now that he would never bite me again. I think he blames me for the pain he was in and he is very cautious around me now. The driveway and path to my front door look like a murder crime scene with all the bleeding I was doing but sometimes impressions are just not right. Today I put another 130 miles on my present bike going to a club meeting in a nearby town. With a cross wind of around 30 MPH, I managed to put some wear on the sides of my tires, right side going out and left side coming home.
As far as the bike search, I have definitely settled on the Vision. I love that bike and just need to make the dealer agree to my net price or find one in between that I am willing to accept.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Our Golden got his paw caught in a swing set and did the same thing to my wife when he was 2 years old. He passed away at 15 years old. Dogs freak when they feel trapped. Not the dogs fault. Glad your ok

1 - 14 of 14 Posts