Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today is the last nice day for the next 2 weeks and I decided to bring my new Kingpin into the dealer for it's 500 mile oil change and check. A quick detour on my way to work would optimize my time, I decided to bring it in with my neighbors trailer which is set up for motorcycle hauling. Dropped the ramp, got the bike, and without even thinking there would be a clearance problem started the bike and abruptly came to a stop half way onto the trailer. Backed her down to find my ignition module ripped from the front bolts. Although it still ran, my clearance was just reduced by about 2 inches. I won't go through the next 15 minutes of pure comedy and I am fortunate someone did not video tape me, however I did get it up on the trailer successfully including finishing off the job of almost completely ripping it off. Once at the dealers they helped me unload using a curved ATV ramp, which I have 2 sitting in my shed. I hope this lesson isn't expensive!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unfortunately those things happen-- you just have to keep your head on and realize there is nothing you can do about spilled milk!!

Those learning experiences are those you will never forget AND will learn from them!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Indeed! As my dear old dad told me, "You better learn from other's mistakes 'cause you ain't gonna live long enough to make 'em all yourself".

·
Registered
107 Posts
Indeed! As my dear old dad told me, "You better learn from other's mistakes 'cause you ain't gonna live long enough to make 'em all yourself".
My philosophy when it comes to learning is learn from others mistakes if you can , doesn't cost you anything.

But if you make 'em yourself , 99.999999% of the time they are remembered and you don't make the major mistakes repeatedly.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Let me guess. Your KP is an 09 or newer.

I did the exact same thing with my 09 JP the first time I put it on my trailer to take it down for some dealer work.

I was flat pissed because I didn't expect it. I woulda been ok if I had heard the newer bike sat lower so we have to be more careful or use other method to load them.

I didn't tear anything off but did bend the lower module down. On the return trip I backed up to a mound and rolled my bike, under power, over the ramp and onto the trailer and when I got home I did something similar to protect the lower side of the bike again.

Someone later said I could use a car ramp under the trailer ramp to take care of that high side situation I wasn't use to but I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet.

I'd sure like to hear how you fare.

Bob

BTW; I really like how low the bike sits and the handling it gives; I just wasn't prepared for that jolt when I loaded it up on the trailer.

Oh well; live and learn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just so you guys know......
That is a VOLTAGE REGULATOR hanging below the starter
Voltage Regulator.....................well that doesn't sound as expensive as an ignition module!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BBob,

There are only 3 Victory Dealerships in the Minneapolis area. Mine is very good however because of the limited riding season and it's year end, I suspect that each try to minimize their parts inventory. When I dropped it off on Friday I was told the bracket will take about 4 days to get. Oh well, it could also be an indication that this doesn't happen often. Hopefully I can pick it up Friday as we are predicting 60's for the end of the week.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
My local dealership is the same way. They don't carry much parts inventory. It usually takes 10 days to get anything.

This is one area I'd like to see Victory/Polaris improve on when the Victory brand is more popular.

For small parts, like anything that will fit in one of the USPS priority boxes, it would be great if they could utilize that service as an option for the customer. Maybe deduct what they currently pay to ship and charge the customer or if it's a special order; just charge the customer the extra shipping if that's what they want.

I understand not stock piling parts on such a reliable machine. Maybe at some point they will have warehouses in each region of the country that stocks all the accessories, wear items (belts, tires, etc) and the things they find they have sold enough of to stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my inattentiveness came to $87.50. $43.00 for the bracket and $44.50 to remove the damaged one and install the new one. The module must be pretty rugged as it was OK. Not the most expensive lesson I have ever learn!

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
I was speaking with the guy from Witchdoctor's Victory Parts about this issue and making a bracket that would not only move the regulator up and in front of the starter but would also include a skid plate as a place for a trailer (or whatever) to hit first.

He didn't think there would be a lot of market for it but I think there might be. Anyone with a lowered Victory with the regulator being the first thing to hit would be wise to install one. It could even be chromed for those that put bling before all else.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Glad you got things going without much cost. A good lesson learned as I see it.

My question is why did you trailer it to have a service done?
I am very confused on this.
you said it was the last last day for the next 2 weeks, that would have prompted me to ride it there even more.

After reading this post I got to thinking when was the last time I had 1 of my bikes on a trailer. 3 years ago with a blown tire before that I do not remember.
I ride my bikes everywhere I go for everything.

Guess that's why I put over 20,000+ miles a year on my bikes.

Glad things worked out for ya.

dd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dd,

I would have certainly drove it however my dealer is 20 miles away. I had scheduled it's 500 mile oil change and check up, had them install a set of pullback handlebars, iso grips, and the windshield lowers. The following 3 days were scheduled to be rainy (got over 3"), I was going out of town for 2 days, I just told the dealer I would drop it off and give them a couple of days to do the work. With no one available to pick me up, trailering seemed to be an easier option. Trust me, I had a guy drop me off and rode it back home! I am 55 yet like an excited kid I couldn't wait to try my new windshield lowers, so much so that I forgot to bring my windsheild when I picked it up. I did get to put some miles on the other night however.

I am really pleased with the new handlebars and wind protection I have now. Although some ride into December here in Minnesota, with deer hunting and a tight travel schedule, if I squeeze one more ride I'll be happy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I understand what you are saying. Some of you guys got it made. My dealer is great to deal with and will go out of their way to help. But when it comes to service I get a little worried. They could not tell how to take off the fairing. The 1 I spoke with when trying to find the missing screws and mentioned it took him 4 hours to figure out how to remove a head light bulb. The missing screws were behind the speaker grills.
And they want me to let them install a stage 1, I do not think so. They do not even use a shop manual for their labor pricing. It's a straight $90 an hour
I don't think so.

dd

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
DD: I see you have multiple touring bikes of various makes (Honda, HD, Vic) and I have to ask why you would want 3 of the same style.

I guess I ask because when I bought my Vic and traded in my HD it didn't occur to be to get another touring bike because I already had a perfectly good one. Now when that gets to the point of not being cost effective to run any longer; I'll get another touring bike; probably a Vic but I'm not 100% sure at this moment in time.

For me it made perfect sense to get a Hot Rod and keep my existing road sofa.

Do you like comparing road sofa's?

·
Registered
528 Posts
My wife and I really like the Ultra Classic. We have put over 42,000 miles on it in 3 years. Not to mention the upgrades I have done, cams, exhaust, chrome,chrome oh did I mention chrome.

I have found to get the best deal is to buy outright and then sell the other. which I will do in spring. Maybe.

I will not be adding a trunk to the XC. I like the looks better without the trunk. It is our short trip bike- 500 miles a day. I bought the GL1800 because I got a great deal on it. I use it as my IBA and cold weather bike. I also have a Honda VTX 1800, It is a custom bike you might say. I was in the "battle of Angels wing" and the VTX is a rolling memorial. I ride it on anything that is Veteran related.

After retiring I decided to live some of my childhood dreams.
Do I like comparing road sofa's guess I do.
dd

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Beautiful tribute(s) to your fallen brothers. I'm not familiar with this particular battle. When and where was it?

There's a guy who rides a VTX to some of the PGR rides we do around here who runs a car tire on the back of his. He seems to like it and the VTX quite a bit. I put a CT on a wide tire Softail and it rode just fine. Having a tire last 30k miles is a huge bonus too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
There is a lot folks that run the CT. I guess I am old school, I prefer a MT.

The "Battle of Angels Wing" was March 9, 1969
There were 2 platoons with 27 each Against 600 NVA

B/2/5 1st aircav air mobile

A fellow of C/2/5 wrote

The position of the 1st Platoon had been overrun and was the saddest sight I saw during my 21 months in country.
After 0ver 40 years since the "Battle of Angels Wing" and being medically retired from the Army for over 20 years my nightmares and flashbacks continue from that night.

Now back to the regular programing

We all make mistakes form time to time. Hopefully we learn from those mistakes.
I just do not like to put my bikes on a trailer but sometimes we just do not have a choice.
Now you know how to do it properly.

dd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts