Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently acquired a 2010 Kingpin with 3K miles. While I know it is gear driven the transmission clunks loudly when downshifting and letting off the throttle. It is almost like there is too much backlash in the primary gearing. Does this primary gearing have an adjustment or what do you think could be causing this? No issue under throttle just downshifting and decellerating.
Thanks in advance for input
NeWthumb upby

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just recently acquired a 2010 Kingpin with 3K miles. While I know it is gear driven the transmission clunks loudly when downshifting and letting off the throttle. It is almost like there is too much backlash in the primary gearing. Does this primary gearing have an adjustment or what do you think could be causing this? No issue under throttle just downshifting and decellerating.
Thanks in advance for input
NeWthumb upby
Nobody?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: Transmission

I have a 2006 KP and it has made noise since I bought it with 4 miles on it. If you search the forum for your topic it may put your mind at ease. These noises seem to be normal for Victory. I hear the most noise when down shifting into 2nd or 1st too early (before slowing down to below 10-15 mph). I also hear clunking when shifting from neutral to 1st (worse if on high idle). The lash in the tranny seems to be a Victory trait as well. I sometimes use high idle to help relieve the lash. Hope this helps.

I don't know if there is anything you can do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2006 KP and it has made noise since I bought it with 4 miles on it. If you search the forum for your topic it may put your mind at ease. These noises seem to be normal for Victory. I hear the most noise when down shifting into 2nd or 1st too early (before slowing down to below 10-15 mph). I also hear clunking when shifting from neutral to 1st (worse if on high idle). The lash in the tranny seems to be a Victory trait as well. I sometimes use high idle to help relieve the lash. Hope this helps.

I don't know if there is anything you can do.
I appreciate your input, the more i ride it, i change my shifting style and it is less obvious. In otherwords less downshifting. thumb upcheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2008 Pinthumb up, mine did the same thing when I first bought it. Coming from Harley, I just changed my shift patterns a little bit, ie, feather the clutch a little on the down shift, and it should take care of the problem. Clunking, kind of a trait with the solid gearing in the primary. I sell Victory's and I gotta tell ya, after riding HD's for 20 years, I'm in love with the VIC'S!!! Absolutely Superior design and power, and handling!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I am begining to see what you mean. Since my first post, in which I had barely ridden it, I have subconsciously altered my shifting style and minimized low gear downshifts and its not nearly as noticeable as it was at first. Gear driven is a different animal than chain drive, simple as that.cheersthumb up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts