Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

Just picked up a 2014 hammer 8ball and working on breaking it in. I live in a small Florida town called chiefland about an hour west of Gainesville

Traded my 07 fat bob in on the hammer and so far other than the seat and very loud shifting I am liking it a lot.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Well, well welcome to the Victory clan, Mar. If you don't already know, complete break-in takes about 3,000 miles, maybe more. Everything improves during that time. About that loud shifting, try preloading the shifter. It works for me for quieter, smoother shifts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

I am hoping that it quiets down as is very loud lol will try the preloading and see if that helps. It's one reason I traded my harley in because it shifted like a cement truck.

I plan on taking it easy with a long break in, do you recommend running Dino oil till the 5000 mile service or would a high quality synthetic oil be recommended at the 500 mile service.

I always used a breakin oil on my hot rods for the first few thousand miles

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
By now, you have noticed more reasons you traded your Harley than you had ever imagined. The clunking will diminish with time, but going from neutral to first will always produce one due to the residual oil between the clutch plates causing it to continue spinning. No harm in that.
I am no oil expert and what I know I have learned from extensive reading and this forum, where there are many oil threads and I don't want to start one here. This I do know; any oil with a JASO-MA (or better yet JASO-MA2) is OK for bikes with a wet clutch. Many here, including frugal me, are using Rotella T-6 full synthetic oil with excellent results. One member had it analyzed and the lab sez its good for well over 7K miles. I buy it on sale and with a coupon and the price ends up under $20 for a gallon.
However, I put the Vic oil in at the 500 mile service, but from the next on change on I went to Rotella T-6.
Take it easy per the manual for the first miles, but remember to vary engine speed constantly during that initial period. After the first 100-200 miles and occasional foray into higher revs aids in a good break-in. I'm talking over 3500 RPMs--this is not your H-D engine, its much more advanced. At the factory, every bike gets revved to redline at the end of assembly,so you ain't gonna hurt it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome. I just joined myself. I have 12,500 miles on my 2006 Jackpot. It was very loud shifting but has gotten quieter over time. still a hard clunk from neutral to first gear. All the posts I've read it seems to be the nature of the beast. Really enjoy the bike!!! Ride on and enjoy!!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I figure first will be loud and I can handle that but every gear it loud and that's what i am hoping will quite down.
Would you like for me to explain what preloading the shifter is?:confused:

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I am assuming that your meaning to lightly lift the shifter before backing off throttle to shift. If not please by al means explaine ;)
Correct! Just pressure the shifter a bit and the clutch lever doesn't have to go to the grip--it'll slip into gear as soon as you reach the friction zone.cheers

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also came from an HD, a Road Glide Ultra, and can appreciate the noisy tranny comment. I find my Vision tranny is quieter than the HD but not by a whole lot. What I never seem to notice any more is the shifting noise but when I listen for it it is still there. My '13 only has 13,800 on it so maybe it will quiet down as it gets broken in more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well run about 400 miles Saturday and getting the feel of the bike and have to say I am really enjoying it. The seats a bit to shallow and I think I am going to try and find some hammer s forward controls for it.

Best thing is my left hand does not go numb like it did on the harley within a hour

1 - 13 of 13 Posts