Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll. Just bought a 2013 Vegas 8-Ball. Super happy with it. It's my first bike. One of my best friends has a few, so I never had a reason to buy one, but this one came along and I figured - why not?

Couple of questions. They are probably pretty elementary, but I don't know the answers. . .

1. Recommendations are for 91 octane premium gas. When I fill up at the pump, I don't know what gas is already in the hose. In a car, with a 20 gal tank, that's not that big of a deal. But in a bike with a 4.5 gal tank, 1 or 2 gallons of less than idea gas can make a huge difference. Does anyone do anything about this? I can't spray it out on the ground and clear out the hose of course. Is this even a problem I should worry about?

2. What is the ideal rev range? I've been riding and keeping the revs in the 1700-2300 range and just staying in the appropriate gear. Is it ideal for drivetrain life and fuel economy to stay in that range or go lower or higher?

3. What is the "high rev" range? There's no "red line" because there's no tach. Any ideas on this? The bike has 2500 miles on it, so I don't plan on going higher than 3000, but wanted to know if anyone had an idea or opinion on this.

Thanks in advance. Any advice or info would be appreciated very much. Happy riding. . .

·
12,968 Posts
if you live in some what flat country with small or medium hills 89 octane works good. If you're in mountains or high hill country stay with 91 octane. When the temps get over 95 degrees stay with 91.
Without a tack you're just guessing. 2500 is a good range

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Hi and congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum... no such things as stupid questions here.

I have a 2014 Cross Country Tour but the motors are the same.

1 - Don't worry about what gas is left in the hose, just put in the type you want and go. I only use 89 octane and haven't noticed any difference.

2 - I find anything under 2,000 really lugs the engine. I like to keep her between 2,500 and 3,000.

3 - I think the rev limiter is set at about 5,500 rpm so you don't have to worry about over revving either.

These engines are bulletproof, so go out and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Rev the piss out of it... Use 91 Octane no corn fuel or better. Your fuel system will thank you for it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
these engines are over engineered to hell and back twice, so when you get on it hard and hear a kind of rapid fire popping/awesome sound, shift. and unless the hose is 40ft long there is no way you can get a gallon of low grade gas. also as Paul said, dont lug these, its not a Harley, these motors go high and often, i always shifted by sound. when she sounds like you should shift, shift. if you're racing someone, when it sounds like its going to explode, give it another 250-500 rpm, then shift :p

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
When I'm working twisties, I'm in the 3,000 to 4,000 RPM range. Keep her above 2500 whatever you do. Some say use premium in hot (90+) weather, otherwise, 87 octane will do. But I use nothing but premium--the cost difference ain't worth worrying about. Don't use 6th gear until your over 65 mph. You actually get better fuel mileage in 5th gear than 6th. The 106 is a sportier engine than H-Ds, so don't be afraid to USE it. It can take it.
Ask all the questions that you want - there is a wealth of Vic info to be had here. Enjoy! BTW, you can help us to help you if you'll complete your profile and signature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow. Great info. Thanks a bunch to all of you. Just got done with another ride. Put about 200 miles on it this weekend alone.

I'll finish my profile once I can get to a computer and not a smartphone.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts