Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about a new seat for my XC. The stock one is tne best for a stocker that I have sit on ,but I am thinking of a heated version.
If I am going to change might as well go custom.
I would like to see pics and what you like about some of the differant companys.
I am thinking CEE Bailey's , Cycle Solutions. MeanCity, Sargent,and Astech.
I am open to others these are just the ones I have found.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I have been thinking about a new seat for my XC. The stock one is tne best for a stocker that I have sit on ,but I am thinking of a heated version.
I would like to see pics and what you like about some of the differant companys.

Thanks for your input.
Please trust me when I say this, as I have gone both ways: the ONLY WAY to get what you desire is to go to an experienced MC saddle customizer, where you, he and the bike are present. The result will be not only comfort, but correct posture that will give you much longer riding days. My last saddle, done that way, had me doing over 600 mile days with no discomfort. Do not pass up getting heat put into the saddle, it lengthens your riding season . I always had difficulties with mail order ones, especially Corbins. Good luck. cheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Pick the place thats close to you. You will need to be there with bike if you want it to fit right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Saw these guys at the bike show, here in Boston. all-nu.com . They had a demo seat that was done over with gel. It was very comfortable. Probably not a lot of help to the OP, but just a heads up to all the New England riders. They cut out some of the foam and replaced it with a gel pad and more foam. It was pretty slick.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Saw these guys at the bike show, here in Boston. all-nu.com . They had a demo seat that was done over with gel. It was very comfortable. Probably not a lot of help to the OP, but just a heads up to all the New England riders. They cut out some of the foam and replaced it with a gel pad and more foam. It was pretty slick.
As long as its done with rider, bike and tech all present and lots of sit downs on the saddle as they add and subtract and a couple test rides or more thrown in....then it's OK. The place I'm going to, here in Oregon (Mister Ed's Moto) takes ALL the foam off right down to the seat pan and rebuilds with his own materials. He's been at this for over 25 years and a pre visit there really impressed me that he's the guy to do my saddle. Had a previous bike done at Rich's in Seattle. It resulted in a very good seat, good for over 600 mile days.

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
Most seat "fixers" don't use gel at all anymore. It gets hard in the cold and holds heat in the heat, and gives "sweaty butt", and doesn't really give or conform all that well. On paper the idea of gel was good but out in real life it just doesn't work at all. You can still find kits for it on ebay for low prices now.

A good two or three layer memory foam seems to work best. Softest on top, then a little firmer, then firmest.

For anyone who has slept on a memory foam cushion or bed; they know exactly what I'm talking about. The memory foam just conforms and supports evenly.

About ten years ago I got a memory foam pillow on a whim. I use to get that "crick" in the neck a few times a year till then. Since then; not one single "crick". Yup; I'm a believer.

·
Registered
236 Posts
all -nu do a terrific job, they are make an appointment, drive in, get fitted and ride home with your new seat all with in a 2 hour window. Or you can send them your seat...their prices are terrific and results are outstanding

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
all -nu do a terrific job, they are make an appointment, drive in, get fitted and ride home with your new seat all with in a 2 hour window. Or you can send them your seat...their prices are terrific and results are outstanding
See Post #5 and Bbob's Post. The BEST method is to remove the OEM foam down to the pan and rebuild in layers. This takes more than two hours because when he gets to the top layer, it is trimmed to fit YOUR BUTT and no one else. Like a tailored suit. The process involves many sit downs and test rides to get it PERFECT. How can someone you ship your saddle to do that for you? How do you get a mail order saddle do that for you? I'll answer those for you...you can't, I know that from experience. It can take anywhere from a half to a whole day doing the way I suggest. I do have to qualify myself here: I do long rides, sometimes up to 600+ mile days. If you just do short hops, then mail order might possibly work. But remember, they don't know how the inside of your thighs are shaped, or the reach to the bars - very important for pelvis tilt. I want you to be happy with your saddle and the money you spend for it. thumb up

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thanks for your input.
I had the Victory heated seat put on my XR over the winter. We had a couple of days that we could ride a week ago. Iowa weather is not cooperating to get much riding in. Works great.
I didn't checkout any other seats. I had ridden the test ride when I bought the bike last fall. I used part of my $1000 accessories deal for the seat.

ladyridr

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the Victory heated seat put on my XR over the winter. We had a couple of days that we could ride a week ago. Iowa weather is not cooperating to get much riding in. Works great.
I didn't checkout any other seats. I had ridden the test ride when I bought the bike last fall. I used part of my $1000 accessories deal for the seat.

ladyridr
I thought about Vic's seat but for a few dollars more I can go custom. If I would have ordered the bike and got the heated seat, I think I would have been OK with it. Vic's stock seat is the best I have been on in a long while. It still is a option in the list of seats, I haven't ruled anything out yet. Mean City will be in Maggie Valley and Thunder Beach , might have to check them out at one of these events.
I have the heated grips and those work great, got a great deal on Vision grips on Ebay. They only had one wire to short for the XC , easy fix. Thats what made the wife start talking about the heated seat for her. The only thing I am ruling out is the Gel options. What I have seen and used of gels in other things I am not impressed and mostly have been dissatisfied

Hey Ladyridr when's the best time to visit your great state? We are planning a trip out west next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts