Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Is it as good as the stock one?
I bought mine at Walmart and it works just fine. $10 ... it's a universal one with multiple mounting attachments. fit perfectly.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I bought mine at Walmart and it works just fine. $10 ... it's a universal one with multiple mounting attachments. fit perfectly.
Wallmart, got a pic? I have read numerous times about folks cutting down their stock antenna and sticking the rubber tip back on with no loss of signal. I wonder if the long length from the factory was intended for picking up CB or AM but not necessary for FM?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I cut my stock one in half and stuck the little tit cap back on , no difference in signal quality . Took about 90 seconds total to do .

·
Registered
471 Posts
I installed the hidden antenna from VicBaggers, uhm, good thing I stream Pandora through my phone.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Same here, short, flexable and under $10...When I use the radio or weather band, I have no issues.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I take it the performance is sub-par ?
Kinda, I love VicBaggers stuff but what could I expect when you tape the antenna inside the fairing

·
Super Moderator
4,973 Posts
I bought the short steel one and it works OK. My HID pretty much took car of any radio reception so my iPod is on all the time.

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda hoping to get an answer to my original question. I knew there are many options and appreciate the input but would like to know if the Vic branded one is good as the stock one.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I bought the short steel one and it works OK. My HID pretty much took car of any radio reception so my iPod is on all the time.
Did you wrap the ballast with aluminum foil? I've got HID kits for both high and low beam and I wrapped both ballasts (or whatever they're called) and have no interference in the radio. Both are tucked inside the fairing up against the fairing frame/bracket.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Kinda hoping to get an answer to my original question. I knew there are many options and appreciate the input but would like to know if the Vic branded one is good as the stock one.

Thanks again for the input.
Hope somebody steps up for ya.

This is often what happens though ... ya ask a specific question and get all kinds of 'alternatives' LOL

·
Registered
347 Posts
I switched the long oem antenna to the short "Vic" antenna. I lost reception. To clarify, I live in the mountains in a deep valley, miles away from the source of signal or relay antennas. Where I live, the original long antenna was "marginal" at best reception. The Vic shorty lost it all together. That much said, when I'm in geographical/topographical range of radio stations or their repeaters, the Vic shorty works fine. All depends on the lay of the land and the power of the transmitters. Had I known the long oem antenna clipped to a manageable length would work, I would have simply clipped the oem unit to suit my needs to easily access the trunk without working around the tall one. I'd try clipping the long antenna first.

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I switched the long oem antenna to the short "Vic" antenna. I lost reception. To clarify, I live in the mountains in a deep valley, miles away from the source of signal or relay antennas. Where I live, the original long antenna was "marginal" at best reception. The Vic shorty lost it all together. That much said, when I'm in geographical/topographical range of radio stations or their repeaters, the Vic shorty works fine. All depends on the lay of the land and the power of the transmitters. Had I known the long oem antenna clipped to a manageable length would work, I would have simply clipped the oem unit to suit my needs to easily access the trunk without working around the tall one. I'd try clipping the long antenna first.
Thanks Sheets! You get the best answer award for this thread. Couple that with $12 and you can get a nice breakfast at your local Denny's. :) ;)

I think I still have the stock antenna laying around somewhere. It isn't doing much good taking up room so it's at least worth a shot to see if it gets better reception than my shorty.

The back story to even asking this question is simple. There is lots of radio interference with the major freeway running through the middle of Kingman, AZ. My hope is to mitigate some of that.

Heck, now that I think it through a little bit, I will run the stock antenna first for a little while then cut it down to see if there is a significant difference.

I guess I was hoping for a mini-miracle with the new shorty Vic antenna. If it worked as well as the stock one then I would have at least found the absolute best solution considering the radio interference.

Thanks again everyone. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Denny's is my favorite eatery. Their signs along the highway draw me in like a moth to a flame. :laugh

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got one from autozone for about 10 bucs, it's about 6" high and it's good but not great. But I use it mostly for around town errands and such.

I usually blue tooth from my phone for going to work and anything longer of a ride.

I like that is totally out of the way.

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got one from autozone for about 10 bucs, it's about 6" high and it's good but not great. But I use it mostly for around town errands and such.

I usually blue tooth from my phone for going to work and anything longer of a ride.

I like that is totally out of the way.
Did you notice the antenna referenced in post 17 and by VJ is an amplified antenna? The idea of an amplified antenna is to get a better reception than stock. That's what I'm hoping to get.

·
Registered
383 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts