Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New sissy bar and rack completed and installed

Today I decided to make a sissy bar and rack.

I used only a tape measure, black sharpie, 4 ½ inch angle grinder with zip disc and ¼ inch disc, and my buzz box welder, 7018 3/32 welding rods. I used ¾ inch cold rolled rod, and a piece of 6 X 3/16 flat bar for the material to be used. Total cost $28.

It had to mount behind the fender strut for a cleaner look when completed.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welding is completed. The work took me about 2 ½ hours so far today for entire project. Fairly easy project.
Now the grinding and buffing needs to be done.
I’m undecided on either powder coat or chrome, any suggestions. I’m leaning towards chrome as there is a lot of chrome on the JP.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts

looks great man...what do you have in materials about $30? (just re read your first post - and it says $28 - I'm a retard)

not bad compared to 250 to buy a new one!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
T
looks great man...what do you have in materials about $30? (just re read your first post - and it says $28 - I'm a retard)

not bad compared to 250 to buy a new one!

The cost of the steel at the local steel yard for the cold rolled rod and flat bar was $28.63.

I already had the welding rods and grinding discs, never used up a zip disc.

The chrome is going to $$$$, as the last thing I chrome was a bush bar for a truck about 30 years ago and it cost $75.
:D

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sissy bar and rack completed

I completed the grinding and buffing and reinstalled on the JP today, Very solid mound I cannot mover the sissy bar at all, much more solid then the linby bar. It took about 3 hours today so the project took about 5 ½ - 6 hours total, I did have to buy some flapper wheels for the grinder, cost $30 at Home Depot (more than the steel). Total cost so far $60, I still need to powder coat or chrome. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Note the bungee cord tie downs on the bottom of the rack. I cut lag bolts and welded them to the bottom of the rack.

The one picture shows the mount position behind the fender struts.

PS. the sissy bar is 14 inches to the top from the seat.

thumb up

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lookin' good. You've got quite a few options color wise with the powder coat. Not just limited to black, but that'd be my choice. Fabricating a pad for the backrest should be a drop in the bucket, if you decide to add one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Originally Posted by ks_greg
Lookin' good. You've got quite a few options color wise with the powder coat
I decided to go with chrome and drop it off at a chrome plater today, they are very busy and was told 6-8 weeks cost $130, the total cost of the project is $190 plus my 6 hours of time.

I need one, Vegas - are you going to do any more? Looks real nice, as long as the weld penetrated good you should have no problems..
My trade was welder in the oil business, so the welds are very solid. I beveled all the joints so there is lots of penetration also ran the puddle hot I know what I’m doing when it comes to welding, I tend of over build things, I made a receiver hitch for a ¾ ton truck about twenty years ago and was told it is over kill. My comment was “ the frame of the truck will break before the trailer hitch does”, I did break the frame of the truck but the hitch did not even bend.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Miles, was wondering if you have pics of the finished (chromed) back rest. I see this post was back in march (allow 6-8 weeks for chroming). Sorry to hear about your ailment. Listen to your body as ritz said.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Miles, was wondering if you have pics of the finished (chromed) back rest. I see this post was back in march (allow 6-8 weeks for chroming). Sorry to hear about your ailment. Listen to your body as ritz said.
Took some pics with my Blackbarry a while ago when out for a ride but the phone quit working (it fell out of the holder on the bike and was run over by a car) and never had a chance to post the pictures. The final pictures are close to what it looks like only shinier with it chromed.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Today I decided to make a sissy bar and rack.

I used only a tape measure, black sharpie, 4 ½ inch angle grinder with zip disc and ¼ inch disc, and my buzz box welder, 7018 3/32 welding rods. I used ¾ inch cold rolled rod, and a piece of 6 X 3/16 flat bar for the material to be used. Total cost $28.

It had to mount behind the fender strut for a cleaner look when completed.
I luv people with metal skillz. Keep up the good work.thumb up

In fact, I got a job for ya. I've been thinking of adding a Wolo horn mounted where the starboard cheeze wedge resides. These are pic of both sides of the horn:

Think you could fabricate a bracket that would fit the 3 point cheese wedge mount? Note, it has to stick out a bit as the idle air dookickey sticks out past the three point mount a quarter inch or so.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Looks excellent. I made one for my last bike out of square 1/2" tubing. It did not look factory made, but it worked good and I made it. Your backrest looks factory made. The chrome does look good. It's been six years ago I had made it, back then it ran me around $100 with a pre made back pad. I had it powder coated for around $40 back then. Your bike looks great!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your backrest looks factory made. The chrome does look good. Your bike looks great!
Thanks for the complment Speedblue. I made one for my last bike over 25 years ago and I painted it black to match the bike I had then. It had a back rest and the rack was bigger.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts