Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put in new plugs yesterday in my 06 Jackpot. Bike gaped at 35, one website said 32 another 38. Anyways bike runs smoother especially at higher speeds, not as much backfiring through the ground blaster exhaust. Idle is really weak now though. How can new plugs improve performance and reduce backfire and mess with the idle. Thoughts??

·
12,970 Posts
Plugs have nothing to do with the idle. See dealer or tell us more.
You gaped the plugs by what the Internet said as apposed to what the owners book says. :confused:
You could have a air leak. Check aroud FI bodys

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I doubt I developed a leak by changing plugs. Idle was perfect before plug change. I am now looking up in my manual the correct gap as I was on a plug web site and I figured since they sell them they know how to gap em. Bought them from the Victory dealer here in Phoenix though and forgot to ask them the gap.

Damn it, hate when I take the lazy way I am wrong 32 on an 06 Jackpot. Plug removal in a few minutes to correct. Why do it once when you can do it thrice.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Because its so easy to remove the spark plugs, I opt for a gap that's on the larger size of the spectrum. That is, the feeler gauge fits loose rather that tight. My theory (right or wrong) is a larger gap allows more mixture to get between the electrodes and a longer corona does a better job of igniting it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took them out and set them at 32. Test ride tomorrow will tell me if all is good

·
12,970 Posts
I don't understand you. You say the bike doesn't idle right.
But your lazy about gaping your plugs right and now you have been told maybe you have a air leak. So instead of taking some time and checking it out your going to be lazy about that.
What is so importing that you can look things over.

Larger spark plug gap or a smaller spark plug gap will only change the rate of fuel burn in the cylinders.

I bet you pulled a plug wire loose in the boot or even broke the plug wire.

The way to pull a spark plug boot is put down something to cover the edge of the cylinder fin ( cut a short length of fuel line to fit between the fins and then cut it length ways so now it will fit over the fin ) and with a needle noise pliers at the bottom of the boot apply pressure on the spark plug boot and push downward to pry the boot up an off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts