Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement tire for my CR. I'm dismayed that I have to pay nearly $400 for a new Dunlop Elite 2. I found a Bridgestone for $278, but I worry about the effect the different tire will have on the handling of the bike. HELP!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
400.00 !!!!!:soapbox:

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I am running Avon (Cobra's) I think... They are wearing well and have great traction in wet conditions. 8000km on the rear it looks about halfway toasted. I launch my XC hard and spin the tire quite frequently.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I am running Avon (Cobra's) I think... They are wearing well and have great traction in wet conditions. 8000km on the rear it looks about halfway toasted. I launch my XC hard and spin the tire quite frequently.

just for reference, i talked to an avon tech who highly recommended running 42psi front and 44rear for the cross country, he had a mileage figure for each 2psi of air too

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
How many miles on your bike now Travis ? I'm at 14,350 and still on my stock square Dunlop's :grin , I launch hard corner hard and stop hard ......

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
just for reference, i talked to an avon tech who highly recommended running 42psi front and 44rear for the cross country, he had a mileage figure for each 2psi of air too
Weird.. Guess it varies with who you talk to at Avon. I called to discuss cupping and confirm air pressure and was told mine was too high at 40F 42R. He recommended 36F and 38R (per their website). I have been running that low, and have not had any cupping. I don't have that many miles on the front so time will tell. The rear is worn out at the usual 7K miles. Going DS in the back.
Bringing truth to the old add-age, YMMV

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
How many miles on your bike now Travis ? I'm at 14,350 and still on my stock square Dunlop's :grin , I launch hard corner hard and stop hard ......

11000km or roughly 6800miles. I have a stock bumflop with 3000km on it for sale. What you wanna pay for it Mags???

·
13,262 Posts
If you can pull the tire yourself. Pull it buy a tire go to a shop and have them mount it

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
You guys don't have young children either... I did 3000 of those km in AZ in the month of April. I have only logged 7000km this summer so far and will probably only get about 2500
more before the snow flies. In Alberta if you put 15000km a year on your bike you are pretty much a legend like Rollin!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess I better not telll you the mileage I usually put on! Since work has been having issues the last 4 - 5 years I have only averaged 14,000 - 16,000 km's per year, plus last year I lost a month because of Crankshaft recall! Nomad has 80,000 km, 88 Venture 90,000 km, 87 Venture 210,00 km, 85 Venture 125,000 km. I don't count the other bikes in as I don't put alot on them, the Drifte only has 32,000 kms.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation for a replacement tire for my CR. I'm dismayed that I have to pay nearly $400 for a new Dunlop Elite 2. I found a Bridgestone for $278, but I worry about the effect the different tire will have on the handling of the bike. HELP!
Do some shopping on the internet. There are better prices out there. I use Competition Accessories to get my tires from Avon Cobra Front is $190 something plus shipping.

Friend has a CR and runs Avon Cobras on it with tubes and loves em. Food for thought.

PS, run on average 25,000 miles a year on my XCT, but then again I have a little longer riding season "down South"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Valuable lesson, complacency could kill. Gentlemen, I'm embarrassed to say, I wasn't paying attention to prechecks and it nearly cost me and the wife. I was relying on the visual clue of the exposed portion of the tire to judge tire wear (as opposed to deliberate check of the entire circumference) and while out riding on Sunday, my "wobble" i had been detecting at slow speed became very pronounced. I finished our 500 mile jaunt on Sunday and came out to take a look at what might be causing the issue. That's when I found this on my back tire! The other side of the tire looks like the right hand side of this picture across the whole width and I was judging the whole tire on that picture (very bad assumption). Bottom line, like the TV commercial says, don't be a "peaked in high school me" and check the whole tire regularly to avoid this kind of situation. I'm glad my wife's guardian angel was looking out for us on Sunday (I know I don't warrant one) and we both got home safe and sound. It's a lesson I've learned for sure.

BTW, this is an ME880 with 10,500 miles on it. I think I'm going to try the Avon Cobra's this go round.

Attachments

Reactions: JackPt

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Holy **** is that still actually holding air ??? Man you guys were lucky !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Holy **** is that still actually holding air ??? Man you guys were lucky !

It held until we got home, it lost about half overnight from Sun - Mon. Divine intervention.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
That is what I would classify as "a close call". :eek

·
Registered
679 Posts
You can buy the front and rear for your bike from wingstuff, they are the same tires as a goldwing bridgestones are $313.00 delivered to your door in less than a week. The handling and performance is better that the dunflops, but the mileages is slightly less. I get 10k before I change the rear and i got 12k on the flops:|

1 - 20 of 37 Posts