Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for some new tires and was wondering..... How much clearance is there between the rear tire and the fender/internal bracing and parts under the fairing.

I'me looking into the Michelin Commander 2 tires, but it's only size for the rear that is close to stock is 180/65-16. I've used a higher profile tire on my last bike and really enjoyed the benefits. My only concern is that if I put a 5% larger profile tire on the XR would there be any chance of the tire making contact under the fairing with the suspension fully compressed.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

·
13,033 Posts
I've been searching for some new tires and was wondering..... How much clearance is there between the rear tire and the fender/internal bracing and parts under the fairing.

I'me looking into the Michelin Commander 2 tires, but it's only size for the rear that is close to stock is 180/65-16. I've used a higher profile tire on my last bike and really enjoyed the benefits. My only concern is that if I put a 5% larger profile tire on the XR would there be any chance of the tire making contact under the fairing with the suspension fully compressed.......

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D
One point your asking about the rear fender then your referring to the fairing. What is it. If you have the bike and a tape measure could you figure it out. Does 5% really make a difference?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right... I'l stop being lazy. LOL. As far as 5%, it made a huge difference on turn in with my last bike. Much more nimble feel. Granted, it was a sport bike.

I just don't like the feeling of paying $250 for a new rear tire that might last only 10-12k miles. I spent that much for front and back sport tires and they lasted well over 12k miles. I'm off my soap box now. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You're right... I'l stop being lazy. LOL. As far as 5%, it made a huge difference on turn in with my last bike. Much more nimble feel. Granted, it was a sport bike.
I love the idea. I just wish you would have posted it sooner as I just bought another set of E3s. I really like the E3s, but I like the idea of the slightly larger rear tire for better ground clearance. There is a mile between the rear fender and the current tire so I can see no issue with that.

I just don't like the feeling of paying $250 for a new rear tire that might last only 10-12k miles. I spent that much for front and back sport tires and they lasted well over 12k miles. I'm off my soap box now. LOL
12k on a sport bike tire? You must have rode it like Grandma. I'm lucky to get 6k out of a sport touring tire and people who live in warmer climates or near good twisty roads report getting around 3k miles between changes.

The fact that the Dunlops stick as well as they do transporting a small tank and last over 10k is nothing short of miraculous IMO. Still, the Michelin's will be on my short list next time for sure.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[/QUOTE]12k on a sport bike tire? You must have rode it like Grandma. I'm lucky to get 6k out of a sport touring tire and people who live in warmer climates or near good twisty roads report getting around 3k miles between changes.

The fact that the Dunlops stick as well as they do transporting a small tank and last over 10k is nothing short of miraculous IMO. Still, the Michelin's will be on my short list next time for sure.[/QUOTE]

Grandma? LOL.... Fishslapper can attest, I am a pretty aggressive rider. Especially in the twisties. My FZ1 saw tripple digits on a daily basis. (Unintentionally of course, thumb up). However, the tires were Michelin Pilot Road 2s and were absolutely awesome. I only wish I could find a tire that had grip like that for this bike.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
12k on a sport bike tire? You must have rode it like Grandma. I'm lucky to get 6k out of a sport touring tire and people who live in warmer climates or near good twisty roads report getting around 3k miles between changes.

The fact that the Dunlops stick as well as they do transporting a small tank and last over 10k is nothing short of miraculous IMO. Still, the Michelin's will be on my short list next time for sure.[/QUOTE]

Grandma? LOL.... Fishslapper can attest, I am a pretty aggressive rider. Especially in the twisties. My FZ1 saw tripple digits on a daily basis. (Unintentionally of course, thumb up). However, the tires were Michelin Pilot Road 2s and were absolutely awesome. I only wish I could find a tire that had grip like that for this bike.[/QUOTE]

That's what I use on my FJR and I am lucky to get 6k out of a front and 6-7k out of a rear. BTW, it is a dual compound sport touring tire not a pure sport tire. I agree they are great tires except for the mileage. I've found nothing that handles on water like they do:

00027.jpg

BTW, those were Pilot Powers. That is the sporty part of the Pilot Road 2 carcass.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
if you push your tires on water you are so much braver than this slapper of fish!!

:crzy:cheers:crzy:
Those handle water so well that you barely notice.

Pretty much, all modern tires handle well enough on warm, dry days. It's how they handle on wet and cold days that make them stand out. The E3s don't give me confidence to push it in the rain, but they make up for it by wearing evenly and lasting a long time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
tires

I got 15,000 out of the Dunlop tires that came on my bike. I am currently on a set of Avon cobra tires and I love them. They hold pretty good and I have nearly 13,000 on them now and i think I can get another 5,000+ out of them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have 18,300 on the e3's putting bridgestones on week after next. And I can attest to myyamaha in reverse can get with it! And happy birthday goes out to Fishslapr!!! Tagged you again buddy!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have 18,300 on the e3's putting bridgestones on week after next. And I can attest to myyamaha in reverse can get with it! And happy birthday goes out to Fishslapr!!! Tagged you again buddy!
you are a dog & ya know it!! thanks again bro!!

:ltr:cheers:ltr:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ha I wondered about the "Fishslapper" name too and tried to figure it out on my own. Needless to say I thought it had something to do with occupation and was down to some pretty crude stuff until Fish posted some of his cabinetry. After that I was really confused...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you Slapper of Fish and Super Fast Floating bfp..... It's pretty funny how this thread went from tire advice to the fish slapping dance..... :ltr::ltr::ltr:

wac

:ltr::ltr::crzy:cheers

1 - 20 of 25 Posts