Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will have to replace my rear tire soon on my 2010 XR.
I have 12,000 miles on the bike and the rear is just starting to show some wear.
So are most of you X bike owners staying with the OEM E3s or going to something else AND if so what and how are they working for you?
Thanks in advance, Dan
BTW I am NOT interested in going Darkside!!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Personally. I like the E3s. I had 3 sets on my Valkyrie with no problems. Handle good. Wear O.K. I plan on replacing the tires on my XCT (when the time comes) with E3s.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Personally. I like the E3s. Handle good. Wear O.K. I plan on replacing the tires on my XCT (when the time comes) with E3s.
I agree, but I think they wear much better than ok. I've never had a front tire wear so evenly in my life.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I stayed with the E3's. I changed the rear at 12K, we were going to the Rockies last fall. Changed the front last month at 19K. Have had them on Goldwings, my Ultra Classic and the XC.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check out metzlers, great tire
I had Metzlers on my V star 1100. I really liked them and think the tread pattern looks better as well. :D
But are they BETTER than the E3s???

·
Registered
229 Posts
I prefer Bridgestones.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been riding over 40 years..... everything from a Hodaka Dirt Squirt, Bridgestone 185 (took my road test on), Suzuki 250 6X Hustler, Suzuki GS1000, Honda VF700S, GL 1200A, Norton 750, etc. Over the years tire technology has changed and evolves..... Yesterdays best is today's also ran.......Go with what you are happy with, what other's get good performance and mileage from...keep them balanced and properly inflated. You will be fine.......

" ......tire thread is kinda like an oil thread. Everyone will have their favorites ........ Just Happy as hell Amsoil doesn't make tires, that way we don't have to suffer through 500 posts from them......"

:crzy:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I prefer Bridgestones.
Me too, but I haven't been able to find Bridgestones in the rear tire size for the XR. Admittedly, I've only looked a couple places, but still...who's got them?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Bridgestones for the X-bikes are G704 and G709. They are a populare combination with the Wingers and at least one member (Jagular) besides me has them on an X-Bike. I can't tell you much about them personally because I only had about 50 miles on mine before I had an accident. Once my bike gets out of the shop I may be able to give better info.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put my first set of new tires on my XC at the end of April just before a 10 day, 3000 mile trip in late May. Bike had just under 10K miles on the original tires (I bought the bike used with under 5K miles, so I assume the tires were still stock). Rear tire was getting pretty smooth, but front could have gone a few thousand more. I changed both just to have fresh tires for the trip.

I went with the Bridgestone G704/G709 comination that ammo mentions and I really like them. Since it was only the second set of tires for me on this bike, and the first set was already half-way worn out, can't say if the Bridgestones are really better than others or not, but I noticed a difference with the change and really liked the way the grip felt and how they handled the turns.

Have just under 5k miles on them now and still happy. Tires seem to wear pretty fast for me here in North Texas, based on previous bike experience, so not sure if I will get much more than 10k out of these. Even if they end up lasting about the same, I will probably stick with Bridgestones unless I find a complelling reason otherwise.

Cheers,
Randy

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have replaced the tires twice on my XC. IMHO The E3's will give the best mileage. But are the slickest and do not seem to corner as well or ride as well. My second set were Metzler me880. The front tire was defective and I replaced it with around 1000 miles.(anyone can have a occasional defective tire) but they stood behind the tire fine. The rear Metzler was Much smoother and definately handled better than the E3's. But the E3 rear went 12000 miles before I needed to replace it and it still had tread left when I changed it. The Metzler was worn so bad at 8000 miles that I felt unsafe riding the bike so I replaced the Metzlers with Bridgestone. The bridgestone's handle as well as the metzler's but I only have about 2000 miles on the rear. My gut feeling is that they are not going to give me as many miles as the E3's. If they don't give me at least 12000 on the rear I will be back to the E3's for my third set of tires. I ride too many miles to have to replace the tires 2 1/2 time a season. I am keeping a eye on the new mitchelin commander tires. If they finally get them in a radial and a exact match to the size of the XC, I will give them a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just ordered a new Perelli Night Dragon 180/55 18 for my 03 Vegas since finding a tire in the OEM 170/60 18 is near impossible. For an OEM fit I had to choose between a Dunlop which I have on my bike currently and got about 8,000 miles out of before wearing it down to being unsafe to ride or using a Shinko tire which did not have many "glowing" reviews from people. With all the trouble of searching for a tire I'm considering going to the Darkside & putting a car tire on. Does anyone know where I could look up that info for a 2003 Vegas?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I just ordered a new Perelli Night Dragon 180/55 18 for my 03 Vegas since finding a tire in the OEM 170/60 18 is near impossible. For an OEM fit I had to choose between a Dunlop which I have on my bike currently and got about 8,000 miles out of before wearing it down to being unsafe to ride or using a Shinko tire which did not have many "glowing" reviews from people. With all the trouble of searching for a tire I'm considering going to the Darkside & putting a car tire on. Does anyone know where I could look up that info for a 2003 Vegas?
Please don't. Even the Darksiders will tell you that doing it on such a light bike is a mistake. And anyone involved in motorcycle or tire engineering will tell you that its always a mistake.

BTW, what do you mean by "wearing it down to being unsafe?"

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The attached picture isn't my tire, but it is almost as bare as is was. My wheel was recently dropped off to get the night dragon tire placed on it. But that is what I ment by being dangerous to ride it.
I see. The reason I asked was that sometimes a tire's ability to adhere to the road is sometimes lost before its tread life. Looks like in your case its definitely a premature loss of tread.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes with the Pirelli. I can't see the slight sidewall difference amounting to much, but given that it's different and given that it's a radial, I'm sure that your assessment would be useful to others who face the same situation.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I got 12,500 out of the rear & 16,500 out of the front on my first set of tires. Thought they were great riding, so I kept with the E3's.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
A recent issue of Rider magazine had an excellent article about darksiding. It was well researched and contained descriptions of car and bike tires and lots of illustrations. After reading that article, I can not fathom why anyone would think putting a car tire on a bike is a good idea. Most darksiders think MC tires cost too much. Bike tires are ultra high tech premium tires. So are premium car tires and they happen to cost a helluva lot more. Comparing apples, bike tires are a better deal, money-wise, handling-wise and safety-wise.
Nobody has mentioned Avon Cobras that seem to be the favorite of Gold Wingers in this area. Most Wingers, being long distance riders, like them for good handling and wear characteristics. Anyone have any input regarding Cobras?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts