Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after years of "honey-do's" my wife finally caved and let me get a bike. I have ridden in the past on other friends motorcycles but this is my first. Walked into a Victory dealership (where my wife knows the owner quite well) and walked out with a 2014 Boardwalk. I've had it for three weeks just finished the break in period and the Mrs is already calling her my 2nd wife.

Stock everything so my upgrade list is getting longer by the day (bags, pipes, cruise control.... all of the norm). Any recommendations out there for me? Places to shop for aftermarket parts, things that in y'alls eyes should be changed ASAP.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Welcome to the forum , and to Victory !cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Welcome and look around the forum your questions will be answered a hundred times over.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Nothing like going big or going home.
Suggestions? One, take a MSF riding class, and practice everything you learn,,,,,,,often.
Well, that may have been two, but you get it. Don't underestimate the things you can learn with a good coach. Bikes can be fabulous, but learning to ride well is a must. Much easier to break bad habits before they start instead of after they are ingrained like I did.
Oh, umm,,, the 500 mile break in isn't. Wait till you get about 5K on it, the engine will come alive.
Welcome to the board and congrats on the new ride.
cheers

·
Administrator
5,977 Posts
So, after years of "honey-do's" my wife finally caved and let me get a bike. I have ridden in the past on other friends motorcycles but this is my first. Walked into a Victory dealership (where my wife knows the owner quite well) and walked out with a 2014 Boardwalk. I've had it for three weeks just finished the break in period and the Mrs is already calling her my 2nd wife.

Stock everything so my upgrade list is getting longer by the day (bags, pipes, cruise control.... all of the norm). Any recommendations out there for me? Places to shop for aftermarket parts, things that in y'alls eyes should be changed ASAP.
Congrats on the Boardwalk and welcome to the forum. cheers Is it red and black?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, it's red and black. Couldn't walk away from it. And I will for sure be taking a safety course soon. Just need to find one near us. Thanks for the support guys!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! Would definately second taking the MSF course. Some of the places that you can check out for aftermarket parts/service would be witchdoctors, barracuda, the vic shop, and loydz; they're all on the web. Have fun and all you should need to do is ride, wash, change oil and repeat!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your new ride! Would definately second taking the MSF course. Some of the places that you can check out for aftermarket parts/service would be witchdoctors, barracuda, the vic shop, and loydz; they're all on the web. Have fun and all you should need to do is ride, wash, change oil and repeat!
Hey, thanks I appreciate the suggestions on sites! Also, after having my bike serviced locally for the first 500 mile service.... I will not be doing that again....$400 is a little friggin much for an oil change and to double check that the bike is still in working order.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Hey, thanks I appreciate the suggestions on sites! Also, after having my bike serviced locally for the first 500 mile service.... I will not be doing that again....$400 is a little friggin much for an oil change and to double check that the bike is still in working order.
The beauty of a service manual and basic mechanical skills.
I don't think an oil change on these bike can get any easier. One drain plug and one filter.......that's it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't think an oil change on these bike can get any easier. One drain plug and one filter.......that's it.
No it can't Vin. That is unless the bike could change it's own oil'n'filter.:D

Oh yeah. The basic MSF course is a must and I would also recommend the advanced course as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
No it can't Vin. That is unless the bike could change it's own oil'n'filter.:D

Oh yeah. The basic MSF course is a must and I would also recommend the advanced course as well.
My old Shovelhead would change it's own oil. :D

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts

Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new Boardwalk! thumb up

I think many here have had very good experiences with Honda East and Witchdoctor's for Victory accessories and aftermarket goodies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of my first jobs was in an oil change shop, so I've seen more than my fair share of drain plugs and filters. Sadly thats not why I had them do it. As I stated this is my first bike and was having se issues I needed them to check on and secondly they were very quick to inform me that If they serviced my bike the warranty would stay in tact. And now I know why......

·
Registered
784 Posts
Find a new dealer. The $400 is being raped and the warranty scare is BS. Sounds like one from the HD playbook. When challenged they even back off that one.
If you are like many of us you don't have a lot of choices in dealerships, so best wishes on that. There is a nice tool on Vic's website on them. It tells the level of the "training" and the status with the company. Not sure it is worth the neutrons it irritated to make the page, but at least it is a place to find shops and phone numbers. Asking the right questions may give you an idea if the dealership is at least worth a visit.
Good luck and get that course done. Some old time "bikers" will tell you it is useless, but I found it informative and realized the poor habits I had acquired over the prior 20ish years and some of the folk lore that wasn't exactly good advice. A lot of things are reinforced that make you think "well DUH", but actually hearing it said makes it stick a little more when you find yourself doing exactly that. LOL
Enjoy the ride!! cheers

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Holy Crap! $400 for the 500 mile service! That dealer needs to be outed. He's bad PR for Victory. Too bad the OP didn't surf this forum first--we'd have told him to have the dealer include that service with the purchase. Or do it himself. Oh well, live and learn. BTW, $250 give or take is the norm for the 500 mile service. Still too high for what they do and don't so. I hope the OP will talk to us before charging ahead with mods.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Holy Crap! $400 for the 500 mile service! That dealer needs to be outed. He's bad PR for Victory. Too bad the OP didn't surf this forum first--we'd have told him to have the dealer include that service with the purchase. Or do it himself. Oh well, live and learn. BTW, $250 give or take is the norm for the 500 mile service. Still too high for what they do and don't so. I hope the OP will talk to us before charging ahead with mods.
I completely agree that the price I paid for the 500 mile service was outrageous. I figured it would be at least $200 but the break down in cost was as follows.... 3 hrs charged at $99/hr plus the oil and filter for $50. All said and done it was $384 bucks. Like i said though, it will be the last time.

Now as far as included with the purchase.... I wasnt really interested in wheeling and dealing/haggleing with the owner. Seeing as how he knocked off 2.8k off the bike the second he saw my wife. IMO 12.2k for a 15k msrp bike is a fantastic deal. Plus he's thrown in 2 helmets for my minions and multiple shirts and other things.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Delapopo....That's better--ultimately, you weren't cheated at all, but came out looking pretty good, I must say. You can look at it this way; the dealer just got a little back of the huge discount he gave you.
If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do all your own maintenance. I'm 77-1/2 years old and I even do my own tire changes. Well, I remove & replace the wheels and take them to the tire shop to have 'em installed.
Enjoy your new ride--there's nothing not to like about a Victory.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts