Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Victory Riders,

I am new to this Forum, sounds informative place to know more about Victory Motorcycles, to learn more about riding skills.

I am riding motorcycles from past 20 years, in past i have riden czech Motorcycles like JAWA, YEZDI, other like Royal enfield till 3 years back finally fall in love with Victory .
Since then every minute i love riding my vegas. So far i put about 9k miles on it. I love this very much, great handing, great power, fantastic riding experience. Both highway or city or in mountain canyon roads, i just love it.

Only thing bothers me thinner front tire, specially when i ride during road constructions or doing some sharp curves. So i am thinking of changing it with Gunner since it got bigger front while..

So is it make sense or it is better decision to move to Gunner only becoz of bigger front wheel? I have riden gunner few times and every time i feel need to bend forward as i am short guy (5.8), maybe i can replace with vegas handle bar. So please suggest me will it be a good move if i switch to Gunner from Vegas?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Kali

·
Registered
116 Posts
The gunner has a wider front end than the Vegas, so I'm not so sure how possible a wheel swap is. I have a gunner myself and I now think that if I had to do it over I should've gone with a cross roads.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Hello Victory Riders,

I am new to this Forum, sounds informative place to know more about Victory Motorcycles, to learn more about riding skills.

I am riding motorcycles from past 20 years, in past i have riden czech Motorcycles like JAWA, YEZDI, other like Royal enfield till 3 years back finally fall in love with Victory .

Since then every minute i love riding my vegas. So far i put about 9k miles on it. I love this very much, great handing, great power, fantastic riding experience. Both highway or city or in mountain canyon roads, i just love it.

Only thing bothers me thinner front tire, specially when i ride during road constructions or doing some sharp curves. So i am thinking of changing it with Gunner since it got bigger front while..

So is it make sense or it is better decision to move to Gunner only becoz of bigger front wheel? I have riden gunner few times and every time i feel need to bend forward as i am short guy (5.8), maybe i can replace with vegas handle bar. So please suggest me will it be a good move if i switch to Gunner from Vegas?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Kali

Welcome! What year is your Vegas? I believe all you need to do is swap the wheel and spacers. I don't believe your fender would look very good or work for that matter. The Gunner, Vegas & Highball are the same motorcycle. Different bars and wheels. I Believe the Gunner & Highball sit 1" lower than than your Vegas, depending on the year and model of your Vegas. If you want a Gunner then all you would have to do is switch bars to make it more comfortable. When I bought my Highball I originally wanted a Vegas... After I rode the Highball the Vegas was out of the equation. Then I rode an XC and the Highball become history. The Highball bars look sweet on a Vegas with a wider front tire... Just saying.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
an XC or Hammer front wheel will go straight on your Vegas, I fitted an XC 18" front wheel to my 2010 Vegas a few months ago.
Got it off someone who went to a 23" on a brand new XC.
Just use all your same spacers, swap your disc rotor over to it if it aint got one, youll only be running a single disc of course, or if it comes with two disc rotors you could leave them both on look more balanced I guess.
I like the feel better of more rubber on the road when pushing hard and its a lot less prone to 'tramtracking'
Youll find an XC wheel easier to find...ask on here,...lots are moving to big front wheels 23" ans 26"

youll need to redrill your fender to move it up about half inch to clear width of tyre, or see if you can get a Gunner or Highball front fender

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
A few pix to show what I did...

Attachments

·
12,970 Posts
do what Motorbikerx it will be easier then doing a gunner wheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woww this is why love this forum, people are so much passionate about motorcycle and making it custom. Thank you so much for all your inputs. I like the idea of putting XC 18" front wheel on Vegas, current i love my vegas perfect riding with comfortable handle bar, lot of power and superb handling.. now once i get XC 18" front wheel will take out small dissatisfaction of small tire in front..

Thank you again.. will keep you guys posted.. and will post the picture before and after the change.. happy and safe riding..

·
12,970 Posts
there is no hub on that wheel. so you;ll have to order one for it

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
That's an XC wheel? What year? Did you have it chromed? I am confused.... I can't recall ever seeing an XC wheel like that.
well thats what the guy said...he worked for Victory in Sydney , bought a brand new XC , and updated the front wheel to 23" before it left the showroom.
Listed it on ebay for a song and I bought it...even got it shipped internally to Brisbane for me.
Thats all I know but its nice n shiny!!!
Got a great run out of the stock E3 Dunlop too!
12,500 kms!!! which is unreal for me!
and its almost at the TWI's of lhs (side I wear out first usually)

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
NO WAY!...Thats not it..just look at it.

My wheel was off a brand new stock Victory...almost the same pattern wheel as the stock Vegas without paint...almost

I'm happy with it:grin

It looks great MBX!!!! I just looked at all the past years of XC's and couldn't find that wheel... Maybe a Ness edition or something?

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
You need to find a Highball or Gunner fender for that unit! Love the look of the Vegas with the fatter XC wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
It looks great MBX!!!! I just looked at all the past years of XC's and couldn't find that wheel... Maybe a Ness edition or something?
Well maybe it's off a Hammer S, have a look at them and compare.
Suppose it could be a Ness, dunno lost contact with the bloke I bought it off.
You don't need exactly the same wheel any XC or Hammer wheel will do the job,
Also you'll have 2 x 18" ers better balance than sticking a 16" on the front.

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
You need to find a Highball or Gunner fender for that unit! Love the look of the Vegas with the fatter XC wheel.
Yeah, chances of finding one of those for the right price in Australia is slim.
I can make up my own out of something off another bike when I get around to it.
Performance is more important to me than how it looks to others.
Mind over Matter.
I don't mind, and they don't matter. :)

Maybe while my engines out I'll get it sorted, thinking about stripping all the pitted and lifting crap clearcoat off the triple trees and fork legs too and highly polishing them, they look shitty, while they're down investigate the cost of longer fork tunes too to give me better clearance cornering. Side benefit of a bit more 'attitude' to the bike.
Once we fully assess the damage in the gearbox and get the parts ordered I'll have a better idea of my timebase.

But yeah the front fender perched up high does look a bit weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Hello All my friends.

I found below 21 inch * 3.5 inch in one of the custom wheels manufacturer website. need your inputs, i know it is not 18inch instead it is 21 inch but it got 3.5 inch wider tire. so i am thinking as it will increase more tire contact to surface.

Arlen Ness G3 Wheel - Front - Black - (21 Inch x 3.50 Inch) - Victory Vegas/ Kingpin/ Jackpot

looking forward for your inputs.
LOOK AT THE PRICE!!!

If you can afford it go ahead...
oh you'll be up for new rubber too,
but you'll need that regardless what size you change to.
unless of course you get a deal like I got.
Let us know how you go,...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts