Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Kevin and I am new to this forum.

I am an avid motorcyclist with 45 years of experience. I am about to take delivery of a new 2016 Victory Gunner. This will be my 14th motorcycle.

Looking forward to it!

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Goodonya Kev!....Welcome to Victory!

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
Thanks! Catching some grief from my Harley buddies, but I don't care... I love this bike!
That happens cos they know about Victory's advantages over H-D and are compensating. Kinda like a guy with a small penis who buys an F450.
Back when my bike (and the model) was new, I parked my XR in among a bunch of Harleys and their riders were there. One looked at it and said,"That's different." I backed up, scanned all their bikes and replied, "Those are all the same." Welcome to the wonderful world of Victory from the Pacific Northwet Kevin.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My Harley FXD was 10 years old, and I was ready for a change. I walked into the Harley dealership and... nothing jumped out at me. You're right, they all just looked the same. Nothing interested me.

Told the salesman I was looking at a Victory also. He looked at me like I was a dimwitted child, and proceeded to tell me how "I would no longer be part of the Harley group"... Say what???

I kind of lost it... I said, "I've been riding for 45 years, I've owned and/or ridden almost every type of motorcycle there is, and you're gonna lecture me on Harley culture??"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my Super Glide very much, but to me, it was just another motorcycle. Time to move on.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
If you are like me, you are going to enjoy the exclusivetivity of being the only Victory rider in many venues.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I plan to! I love the detailing on the Gunner, especially the scalloping on the sides of the tank, and the shapes of the side covers.

I'm 58 years old, and I don't know how many motorcycles I've got left... and I didn't want to do the same old, same old, again.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
You have a lot more years ahead of you kid. That is, if you avoid doing stupid.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The "Harley Group" has a stranglehold on many people. It's what they bank on. Hey, if folks like HD, that's perfectly fine. Heck, I like 'em for what they are. I only have an issue when people lie to themselves about /why/ they like 'em.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome!!! I spent many years in the sport bike world, and I thought it was going to be a long time before I switched over to a cruiser, mostly because I wasn't drawn to the Harley world, and for that reason I figured when that day came to make the switch it was going to be some custom chopper. A buddy of mine had a Hammer 8 Ball, and it looked awesome and sounded great. When I watched him beat a Yamaha R1 to 80 mph I thought "Man that thing has some torque. But how does it handle?" He told me to take if for a spin and afterwards I had to have one. So I sold my sportbike, went out and found me a nice Vegas 8 Ball and I love it! Now I'm thinking about getting a XC or a Magnum as well so my wife can enjoy some long trips with me. She can't handle the Vegas for more than a couple of hours as a passenger. I just need to make some room in the garage for 2 motorcycles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I was 38 years old when I sold my GSXR1100. That was 20 years ago... Discovered cruising, and never looked back. I've had four more bikes since then. The Gunner will be bike number 14 in 45 years.

I'm 58 now, and just as excited to get a new bike as I ever was.

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Cool!
Bike looks magnificent!
What pipes are you running?

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Thanks! Those are Bassani Pro Street Turnouts.
Thought so....they sound tough, one of the guys that ride with us out of Brisbane has them on a Highball.
I notice your forks have been lifted through the triple clamps to lower the front or make it steer quicker....just an observation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yeah, the turn-in is more abrupt. I like that. I got used to it real quick, although the first time, it felt like I was falling off a cliff... It does have a little less ground clearance. I've only got 51 miles on it, and I've already scraped the peg feelers on both sides...

As for the pipes, yeah, I had a Bassani Road Rage on the H-D that I traded for this Gunner. Real happy with them. I love the pops and crackles on the overrun... I'm an old man, and I still never get tired of it. (although I'll probably get ear plugs for road trips)

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Yeah, the turn-in is more abrupt. I like that. I got used to it real quick, although the first time, it felt like I was falling off a cliff... It does have a little less ground clearance. I've only got 51 miles on it, and I've already scraped the peg feelers on both sides...

As for the pipes, yeah, I had a Bassani Road Rage on the H-D that I traded for this Gunner. Real happy with them. I love the pops and crackles on the overrun... I'm an old man, and I still never get tired of it. (although I'll probably get ear plugs for road trips)
Yeah my peg feelers are long gone, wearing the pegs down now, and I too love the snap and crackle of a hotrod exhaust.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts