Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my first bike - 09 Kingpin. The bike shows like new with only 5400 miles. While getting used to the bike, I noticed it seemed to shimmy on highways around 55-65 mph. I wasn't sure because I'm a new rider and I spent most time on country roads. I took my first long trip this weekend with my friend who rides a HD Road King. My friends bike has cruize control and occasionally he will take both hands off the bike. I can't Imagine taking my hands off. It feels like I'm riding through wind thermals. I'm curious if the HD is a smoother/heavier ride or is my Kingpin in need of something? Do wheels get out of alignment? Tires unbalanced?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome to the Kingpin club.
I went from a HD Road King to a Kingpin about 2 yrs ago. The HD is about 100 lbs heavier, and considerably more "load" to handle than our nimble Kingpins.
My HD also drifted right when hands were off the bar, as does my Kingpin, just a bit. So you'll experience a little more wind resistance.

I'd have the balance checked on the tires, might have had a wheel weight come off or something.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Like said already; the tire(s) could be the culprit or the neck bearing needs a slight adjustment, or one fork is low on oil, or the air pressure in one or both tires is low or too high, or a bent frame, or some cupping or bad wear on the front tire from not keeping it aired up properly.

My guess would be tire balance/wear and possibly the neck/head bearing needs a very slight adjustment. Doesn't take much with those things.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Step 1. Put Ride-On in your tires (worth every penny), inflate tires to recommended pressure (use an accurate gauge) and continue to check pressure regularly.
Step 2. If the bike still feels like you're "riding through wind thermals," have a shop do a wheel alignment for you.

95% chance the above will have you squared away. These are the first and easiest things to check and fix.

·
12,968 Posts
Read the side walls of the tires to see if you have radial or bias ply. You want both the same
Check your air pressure. If you have owners book see what it tells you.
Rub your hands over tires to see if there smooth. If they feel lumpy there shot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the feedback. From the comments I gather my bike should not ride as it does. To answer a few questions, the tires look good and most likely original. They are Dunlops and are marked "exclusively for Victory". Also they passed a state inspection in June. The bike specs have 36/41 for the tire pressure. I go by the manual which says 32/36 for my weight. I like the suggestion from CrossRoads and will try the Ride-On product. I never heard of it so I checked out the web site. Seems like a great idea. I'm not sure if I should take off my existing wheel weights. The instructions say it's optional. I'll let you all know how it works!

·
12,968 Posts
I would take the bike to the dealer and have him look at it. Yes I know it coast money but a shimmy and cause you to crash.
Explain to him every detail what you don't tell can only hurt you.
Does your shimmy come from the back or from the front.
You will get more lift out of your tires if you run both at 38 to 40 pounds of air.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts