Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the add everyone, I'm glad to be around many others that enjoy riding Victory's.

Now to my question.
I'm riding an 2012 Victory Cross Country with just at 7k miles. I purchase this bike used and am starting to worry that I might be having transmission issues.

Here's what I'm seeing.

When riding in any gear higher than 1st, 2-5th. I've noticed that ANY time I pull on the throttle to accelerate the bike will down shift into a lower gear causing the the RPM's to jump to above 4k before shifting back into the gear I'm really in.
I've watched this happen on the digital read out and its very noticeable just with the sound.

Also I've started to notice the bike isn't pulling very hard even while the engine is rev'ing high. Nothing feels like I've felt before on other bikes.
Is this normal with Victorys?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is slipping rather than your transmission is jumping gears. Clutch adjustment is critical on these bikes and it's very easy to burn up a clutch of it's not adjusted properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks for the quick reply,
So that would explain why I've been unable to find anything about the Victory XC having this " autodown shift " feature I've been having.

Glad to see another fan of the Metallic blue, I've got the same color and love it.

Is the clutch adjustment something a novice like myself should attempt or let the dealer look it over?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thanks for the add everyone, I'm glad to be around many others that enjoy riding Victory's.

Now to my question.
I'm riding an 2012 Victory Cross Country with just at 7k miles. I purchase this bike used and am starting to worry that I might be having transmission issues.

Here's what I'm seeing.

When riding in any gear higher than 1st, 2-5th. I've noticed that ANY time I pull on the throttle to accelerate the bike will down shift into a lower gear causing the the RPM's to jump to above 4k before shifting back into the gear I'm really in.
I've watched this happen on the digital read out and its very noticeable just with the sound.

Also I've started to notice the bike isn't pulling very hard even while the engine is rev'ing high. Nothing feels like I've felt before on other bikes.
Is this normal with Victorys?

Thanks
No it is not normal.
Your clutch is slipping.
You only get a couple of those serious slips that you are experiencing before your clutch is fried and all vic parts are expensive.
Adjust your clutch first before your ride the bike again.
It has to be done cold anyway.
Watch this video it will show you how it is done. If you don't have moly grease any grease is better than no grease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_iS2OutTxw

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow,
Thanks again for the advice this hopefully will save me from a costly repair.
Something that the dealer was told to check for since its a new / old bike for me.
Going to reply and let everyone know how the greasing goes and if adding more play in the clutch cable solves my issues.

Again thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just couldn't wait till daylight to go and check, THAT CLUTCH HAS ZERO SLACK.
Never knew that the clutch shouldn't be that tight.
Man hope I caught this soon enough.

Will post tomorrow after I run through all the suggestions on that video.
And thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I hope so too. If you say "any time you got on the throttle", meaning any time you tried to accelerate (regardless of how heavy or light the throttle) then your clutch may have been slipping quite a bit for quite a while.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Welcome to Victory and please download your manual to read all about your clutching ....
I printed it in A3 for easy reading

Good luck with your clutch, it is NOT difficult, mate

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10829

And what did you mean with ; "" thanks for the add everyone ""
What add ??

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I hate to say it , but it sounds like its too late .... :( Good luck though , you never know .:rolleyes:
Welcome to the Forum .cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Welcome to Victory and please download your manual to read all about your clutching ....
I printed it in A3 for easy reading

Good luck with your clutch, it is NOT difficult, mate

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10829

And what did you mean with ; "" thanks for the add everyone ""
What add ??
When someone usually joins a group that requires approval or authorization, such as a Facebook group or similar, it's just a way of being nice and saying "thanks".

However, approval/authorization does not need to be specifically granted to access this forum.

It's my guess that the OP is just saying "Hi all!" :)

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Haaaa ok, did not get that
.. This is the first forum i ever joint, thanks for that info, first time i seen that ... Pretty nice right of the OP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When someone usually joins a group that requires approval or authorization, such as a Facebook group or similar, it's just a way of being nice and saying "thanks".

However, approval/authorization does not need to be specifically granted to access this forum.

It's my guess that the OP is just saying "Hi all!" :)
Its with great joy I'm able to say that the clutch isn't gone at this point. All this time and abuse due to my miss information and lack of reading through the manual and questioning sooner hasn't done me in. At least not ATM.

With just about 5 minutes of tweaking to replicate the video that was shared and I was able to road test with a big smile. It not sticks in gear and pulls hard without any delay.
Now I'm going to do the full cable maintenance as shown with every oil change.

Here's what I was thinking that allowed all the to happen. I trusted my local dealership to handle all required and normal wear maintenance. In fact its clear that they either failed to road test it, or attempted to allow it to break or maybe just they didn't bother
to check everything over correctly.

I'm now going to be handling all garage able repairs so that I have the piece of mind that everything is being done for the protection of my investment.

Again Thanks to everyone!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This is good news , glad to hear it !cheers

·
12,970 Posts
Biosware2012XC

you can only adjust your clutch when its over night cold. NEVER when its warm or hot.
A lot of dealer techs just think thats good enough cause the clutch is hot and they don't know how to adjust it then

·
Registered
295 Posts
No it is not normal.
Your clutch is slipping.
You only get a couple of those serious slips that you are experiencing before your clutch is fried and all vic parts are expensive.
Watch this video it will show you how it is done. If you don't have moly grease any grease is better than no grease.

Welcome to the forum.
I've seen this video before. It seems like he adjusted a lot of slack in the lever. Is that too much?

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
I've seen this video before. It seems like he adjusted a lot of slack in the lever. Is that too much?
Better töo much than not enough slack as long as the clutch isnt riding.
Arizona Victorys vid suggests 1/8"
Vic manual suggests 1/16"
I split those figures and set at 2mm
I clean and lube at 2500 mile intervals, which is twice as often as suggested, but its quick n easy so I do it.
I check freeplay every time and find in practice it needs a slight nip up every 8-10,000 miles.
I probably am overservicing but as I run an Easyclutch I'd rather be safe than sorry.
My clutch performs faultlessly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No it is not normal.
Your clutch is slipping.

Welcome to the forum.
Wow this is super helpful. I'm checking the slack tonight on my bike. Thank you for posting this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts