Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to become a Victory owner - Cross Roads and I am looking for a community to connect with for questions, insights, suggestions, etc on my new Victory.

Has anybody have any experience with Locomotion Power Sports in Suffern, NY or Herman's Power Sports in Brewster, NY?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your pending purchase. Seems like out of the handful of Victory forums, this one seems to have the most activity.

·
Registered
396 Posts
when the demo truck comes to my town i
will test ride the cr and cc,but i know when
i do i will want one. as far as victory in general
from my experience so far they are very reliable
and easy to work on.:)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Thanks - Any opinion on Victory in general and thoughts on the cross roads?
LOL :ltr:

Well, welcome to the forum! There's a collection of opinions and thoughts here on the forum. Use the "Search" to find specific answers if you have a question. If you don't find an answer, post a thread on it, and from my experience, you will have some solid answers within 24 hours.

I ride a Cross Roads (XR) and love it. I've learned a lot about it through this forum, be it by asking questions or by reading the questions others have raised and the answers posted.

Prior to purchase, best thing to do is ride it. Have you ridden one?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol

Yes, I took one out last Saturday for a nice two hour ride - highway, winding road ride and I loved it - I had ridden the HD Road King and I found the VCR to be have more acceleration, better handling, smoother shifting and I just liked it better. Paul

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Yes, I took one out last Saturday for a nice two hour ride - highway, winding road ride and I loved it - I had ridden the HD Road King and I found the VCR to be have more acceleration, better handling, smoother shifting and I just liked it better. Paul
Awesome. Sounds like you're doing your homework, which can only lead to an educated purchase decision in the end. thumb up

As far as the two dealers you're considering, if you don't get anybody's rating on them, it would be a good idea to do the foot work yourself. Stop by each dealer in your spare time, and poke around. Try to meet the service tech if possible. Meeting and talking to them will give you a good hint of which dealer should earn your business. Ultimately, the price could be the deciding factor, but as long as you give both dealers a chance to compete for your business, you should do just fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer Selection

Thank you for the suggestion -- I am in the middle of following up on the dealer selection now - Interesting, I sent both dealers a detailed accessory list and asked for quotes for VCR in Black and Crimson. One dealer has not gotten back to me in two days and the other called me and tried to go over the numbers on the phone. I insisted to see it in writing. It will be interesting to see what the price difference is in the two quotes. I will let the forum know as it will be interesting to see how much play is available in the numbers.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion -- I am in the middle of following up on the dealer selection now - Interesting, I sent both dealers a detailed accessory list and asked for quotes for VCR in Black and Crimson. One dealer has not gotten back to me in two days and the other called me and tried to go over the numbers on the phone. I insisted to see it in writing. It will be interesting to see what the price difference is in the two quotes. I will let the forum know as it will be interesting to see how much play is available in the numbers.
Cool. Dealers will be hesitant to put things in writing, but don't let that discourage you. They just don't want to commit to a price now, and two months later when business is booming they have to honor what they've promised. They sell according to supply and demand, of which demand varies according to the weather.

You will get a more aggressive discount if you actually walk into the dealer. If you suggest you're ready for a deal right then and there they will be more excited, and more willing to make it happen. On the phone, all they have is a dreamer who might or might not buy. In person, they have a customer ready to sign and take delivery.

Go sit down, and see what the best price you can get out of them is. Then tell them it's a good offer, but you want to sleep on it. Go straight to the other dealer, and see what they can do for you. At the end of the day, it's always good to actually sleep on it, and make your decision the next day - even if the decision seems very obvious. Sleep on it.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Will again take your sage advise and I look forward to dealing this weekend.
Paul...I couldn't agree more with what CrossRoads has told you. The X bikes are as good and faultless as they come - I'm even passing on the extended warranty. I have two dealers near me and did the eyeball to eyeball thing. I had a written list of the bike and the goodies I wanted on it and asked for an out the door price. I got it from both right there on the first visit. If you still have concerns about the bikes, by all means, ask away on this forum (the best I have ever been on) and visit with the shop managers and people - they don't have a lot to do if they are a Vic only dealer. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Lonley Mechanic's

visit with the shop managers and people - they don't have a lot to do if they are a Vic only dealer. :)
Agreed, I stopped by my dealer yesterday for a visit and the only Vic in the shop was coming out of the crate. A couple of Triumph's and a Polaris ATV was being serviced. The guys in the shop had plenty of time to visit. Kind of like the Maytag man of bike mechanics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quotes are in

I received the two quotes...one for $19,800 and one for $18,000. Wide range. I plan to visit each dealer, check service standards, interview senior manager and see if I can get the best quote for 10% off. Tomorrow I will share accessory list.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I received the two quotes...one for $19,800 and one for $18,000. Wide range. I plan to visit each dealer, check service standards, interview senior manager and see if I can get the best quote for 10% off. Tomorrow I will share accessory list.
I'd like to see that list cuz that seems like an awfully high price. Unless the registration and taxes in your state are gawdawful robbery. This time of the year, dealers should be starving and willing to sell a bike for little more than cost - not invoice, that's a joke. Every month it sits, they have a flooring payment to make on it. Did you assertively ask for the best "sharp pencil" price?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pricing

Here are the numbers - The numbers do not include state sales tax or DMV. Love to hear your opinion. I have not found a "Kelly Blue Book" type of direction on how to get the best price possible. I hope I am not breaking etiquette by publishing the numbers - however they are list price

Options List Price High Dealer Quote

Cross Roads Crimson $15,499.00 $17,249.00*

Accessories

Cross Roads Hard Saddle Bag $250.00 Inc.*
Forged Chrome Hwy Bar $599.99 Inc.*
Chrome Saddle Bag Protector $349.99 Inc.*
Medium Wind Shield 2876884 $549.99 Inc.*
Fender Rail Accents Rear $149.99 $149.99
Fender Rail Accents Front $149.99 $149.99
Saddlebag Lid Rails $349.99 $349.99
Chrome Handlebar Clock $59.99 $59.99
Chrome Clamp $24.99 $24.99
Center Stand $299.99 $299.99
Saddlebag Liners $149.99 $149.99
Exhaust Acorn Nuts $31.96 $31.96
Light Bar $299.99 $299.99
Aux Switch Mount $29.99 $29.99
Chrome Oil Filter $14.99 $14.99

$18,810.83 $18,810.86

Freight $325.00 $325.00
Assembly $0.00 $395.00
Labor For Accessories $0.00 $400.00

Total $19,135.83 $19,930.86

I am asking for a 10% Discount $1,913.58

My requested Price $17,222.25

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Charro, you have a nice list of accessories. Some of them I'd love to have on my XR and some not so much. But I understand we're all different and we all want different things, and I appreciate that.

However, you have one accessory on that list that must go: Chrome Handlebar Clock. Why would you want that? The bike already has a digital clock displayed in the instrument cluster at all times - and you can read it at night too. Unless you just like to have lots of "stuff" on your handle bars, I strongly suggest reconsidering that accessory.

Whatever the lowest price you end up negotiating, you can always take a trip to your other dealer, and ask them to beat it. If they do, you go back to the first dealer and ask them to beat it also. If the other dealer doesn't beat the price, you know you've reached the bottom price in your negotiations. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Do some more research in this forum, especially on the centerstand, it's a POS that will kill you if you hit a tight turn hard and won't lift the tires off the ground. Why a chrome oil filter that only you will see when lying on the ground and looking up? Ditto about the clock - read what that LCD screen contains, it even has a tach. Re the light bar; there are a ton of products out there if you want more light for protection for night riding. I don't know about you, but I'm very disappointed withthose lights Vic offers. Vic designers work hard to obtain a uniqe art deco type of design, then offer road lights that look like they belong on a 39 Ford, or worse yet an H-D. Look at what the aftermarket has that will blend better with the "oh wow" look of your bike. Do you REALLY NEED all that other bling - no; do you want it and have the money (in hand) for it - that's up to you. As far as the prices go, I'm not aware of what the MSRP is for them, but they look to be list. I think someone saw you coming. Research, refine your list and put your haggler hat on. You have nothing to lose but your money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much for the heads up on the accessories -- I will remove the clock and the Chrome Oil Filter - Have not had the opportunity to really study the Oil Filter placement - I thought it was visible from the road.

Also, thank you, I will revisit the light bar. I do want the most protection/most light for night riding. The OE headlamp on the 2008 Triumph Bonneville (current bike) is not ideal for night riding. Any suggestions on improved lighting?
I do want the bike to look sharp and would love any suggestions on "must have" accessories to make the VCR special. I plan on having the bike for a while.

Discussing this with you all is incredibly insightful and I really appreciate the feedback, guidance and suggestions.

By the way, I may need the center stand to fit into a tight place in my garage. I will try to go without it at first.

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Any suggestions on improved lighting?
HID headlight kit would give you 3-4 times more light than the halogen light. Cheap kits go for under $100, while the more expensive ones are in the $300-400 range. The Victory kit is $450.

Then there's the ClearWater high intensity LED lights: http://www.clearwaterlights.com/

And also the PIAA HID lights: http://www.piaalights.com/details.php?productName=POWERSPORTS%20CROSS%20COUNTRY%20HID

And other options as well. See these threads on more info and riders oppinions:
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4136&highlight=clearwater
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4196&highlight=clearwater

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Got Clearwater's Glendas on my bike and am very happy with them. They even have bike specific mounting hardware for the X bikes. If you wire them as they suggest, which I did, there's no switch, they are always on. When on high beam, they are at 100% (gawdawful bright) then when you have to dim, they go down to what you dialed in on the handlebar mounted controller. Actually, it cleverly attaches to the left switch pod. They are the only light, I found, that operate on both high and low beams, so you don't go blind when having to dim for an oncoming car. I put PIAA Extreme White H11 bulbs (2) in the headlight. Not as bright as HID but a lot cheaper if you get em from Amazon, or a local store that will match Amazon's price - like I did. Another wee bit o advice from this old man; It looks to me like you want everything all at once on that bike. One of the fun things about bike ownership is gradually installing goodies over time. That way, you get to enjoy each addition on its own merit. Case in point, the fender trims: buy the bike without them and see how you like it. Then, if you think they will be a compliment to the bike's appearance, by all means, buy them. Lecture over, my son.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts