Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 Victory Cross Country with only 4,200kms on it and I have a few questions.

The bike didn't come with ABS or Cruise Control, and I'm wondering how much of a PITA it is to add those things. I've found the cruise control part number 2877177 but after doing some research, it looks like it's discontinued.

With adding ABS, is it a simple parts add or does a person have to update the ECU as well?

Thanks for the answers! FWIW, I came from a 2011 Yamaha Raider, and while the Victory isn't quite as powerful, it's much better suited to the longer trips I tend to take. I picked up the bike yesterday morning and have put ~700kms on it since I got it haha. It's a super comfy, well-built bike for sure.

·
13,298 Posts
adding ABS would coast a lot and you would have to do the wiring. You might find cruse but it will take time.
did you get owner's book? You have to stand the bike upright to check the oil. you can not do it on the kickstand.

https://www.facebook.com/thevicwerks/ has used parts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i got the owners books, looking through them now. Sucks the bike didn't come with these things, but I enjoy the hunt! Thanks for the reply, I'll check out that facebook page

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The Cross Country Tour model did come with both ABS and cruise standard along with some other "stuff" including a very large trunk. Anything is possible so finding the ABS and cruise equipment is possible but it is very unlikely to find it and would be a huge job installing it. The ABS main unit fits under the rear fender so is quite hard to access.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like ABS probably isn't worth the headache...are there any other options for the cruise control outside of a throttle lock system?

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I got a cruise control kit for my XC 8-ball from the Vic Werks (Johnny linked it above). Cost me $300 for the parts, it was salvaged, and came with printed installation instructions.

I took it to a victory certified tech to have it installed, and he charged me 4 hours labor for it.

it works perfectly, and I have no qualms about recommending it as a path to add cruise control.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Victory made a version of the XC called the"8-Ball" that was a paired down version and had a lower price point. In addition to not having ABS and cruise, it does not have a radio for example (although it has an amp so you could plug in your iPhone in the bag and listen to music - but no display.)

Additionally, Victory made the XC in certain colors that did not have ABS or cruise. For 2016 I believe ABS/cruise was "optional" on the Suede Pearl White and Suede Titanium Metallic models.

Adding ABS would not really be possible. There is a lot of plumbing involved and the parts alone would make it cost prohibitive.

Adding cruise is not that difficult. The cruise box/brain is located in an area under the seat (but you can't really get to it by removing the seat.) If you look at the install instructions, because it was an upgrade you could have done by the dealer, you will find they call for the swing arm to be removed to get to that area. But if you look at the Witchdoctors YouTube video on installing a lowering link and follow that, you will find you have room to get the box/brain where it needs to go. As @otab said, contact The Vic Werks in MN. They buy wrecked XCs from insurance auctions and sell the parts.

As far as performance... In order to satisfy EPA requirements, the XC is restricted. You can invest in a Maximus tuner and have a professional tune your bike making it run better and gain a decent amount of power. But if you are going to spend the money for those items you certainly should consider changing from the stock air filter and exhaust as part of the upgrade. But since I'm spending your money now, I would go ahead and get cams as well. You won't be disappointed. Check out Lloydz's website: Victory Motorcycles | LLOYD'Z Motor Workz. On second thought, why stop there, get a big bore kit/super charger/turbo. It's only money! 😂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to know. My bike is the suede pearl white, so that explains it. It has the stage 1 exhaust from Victory (tri-oval I think they call it?) And i definitely dig the sound. Overall, besides the lack of cruise and ABS, the bike is awesome. Coming from a big V-Twin Yamaha, the Victory sounds SO much better to my ears, and having more room for the GF plus being able to actually bring stuff with me on a trip makes the bike a great step up.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,866 Posts
Cruise kit pulled from a bike was for sale earlier today on Facebook. I think it was $450.

Used is your only option.

No adding ABS that would be too much work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a link to that or was it sold already? I messaged Vic works as well and will see what they say. Crappy part is I'm in Canada

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah it was from Vic Werks. They can probably put you on a list of some sort I'm guessing?

Not sure if there are Canadian part strippers.

It's already gone.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tri-ovals are very good pipes as far as performance. And if they were put on at the dealership they would have included a better air filter and stage 1 ECU map. The Lloydz air filter is better performance wise. And a quality custom tune is better than the stage 1 map. JSYK.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Do you have a link to that or was it sold already? I messaged Vic works as well and will see what they say. Crappy part is I'm in Canada
Welcome to the forum and to victory....there is a victory canada group, ON group if you happen to be in ON like I am and a vic buy and sell canada group check them out...for tires I use fortnine.ca they have great prices...

my 2010 CC came with Cruise, so not sure about adding that...but definately abs is a big add....

Enjoy the ride and the info available here...

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
287 Posts
Soooo, just saw a post on the Victory Performance & Parts Group on FB, someone is selling the ABS setup for $350. Looking at it, you just might be able to do it. It would be a fair amount of work, but it looks possible...According to the post, the front sensor wire has been cut (looks like it is missing the plug) so you'd have to see what it cost to replace. You might also check with The Vic Werks to see if they sell the whole setup and what they would want.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. I can't find the listing on that FB group, but I messaged Vic Werks and they said they do sell an ABS setup for them apparently.

FWIW, I am in Alberta, Canada. I will check out the buy and sell group as well for Canada

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 Victory Cross Country with only 4,200kms on it and I have a few questions.

The bike didn't come with ABS or Cruise Control, and I'm wondering how much of a PITA it is to add those things. I've found the cruise control part number 2877177 but after doing some research, it looks like it's discontinued.

With adding ABS, is it a simple parts add or does a person have to update the ECU as well?

Thanks for the answers! FWIW, I came from a 2011 Yamaha Raider, and while the Victory isn't quite as powerful, it's much better suited to the longer trips I tend to take. I picked up the bike yesterday morning and have put ~700kms on it since I got it haha. It's a super comfy, well-built bike for sure.

Save your money and buy a Lloyd’s timing wheel cams and Powercommander, you will enjoy that addition.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I would not bother with the wheel and go Maximus and get remote tuned. Still get great results if you communicate well with your tuner.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Am sure the ABS id doable if really feel have to have it .. While I do believe ABS is a good thing managed to Ride 40 years without it , so didn't stop me from buying the current 2011 XC Garage Queen bought a year ago, been totally trouble and close to 7,000 of my own Miles now ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts