Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Cross Country
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the process of buying a 2013 cross country. I know from test rides that I am going to need to do something for helmet buffeting. I am 6’6”... any suggestions on best mods for a tall rider?

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I've had great luck with Gustafsson windshields:

I am currently using their "Euroflip (15" Tall) +1 Wider" in light smoke color.
They have awesome service, and their screens are some of the thickest/optically clear in the biz.

·
Registered
2013 Cross Country
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

They have awesome service, and their screens are some of the thickest/optically clear in the biz.

Thanks! Looks good

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,083 Posts
Victory Cross County Tour windshield might be an option too. It's very tall.

·
Premium Member
6,384 Posts
I had a CCT and had buffeting on higher speeds, I could only wear a half helmet, I couldn't handle the headache after long rides, so i sold it ..

Did you move your foot controls there are 3 position to choose from, that is awsome on the CCT bikes

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I just fixed the head buffeting problem with mine. I'm not near my bike right now so I can't send you a picture.

The fix was simple and cheap.
I got the idea from a member here named Pain who relentlessly studied and experimented with his bike till he found something that worked.. I believe he is tall too.

I bought a sheet of Kydex on ebay that was not very big. Maybe 5" x 6".
It was probably .080 thick. It's used to make holsters for handguns.
It's a modified abs plastic that can be shaped when heated, etc.

I used it to make two longish rectangles that deflect any high pressure air that flows along the bottom of the the tank and then flows up into the low pressure zone behind the fairing as the tank narrows down past the Cheese wedges on the which are located on each side of the motor. Those plastic covers one of which the ignition key is located in. The other is just a blank . They look like a wedge of cheese.

I measured from the back of the cheese wedge to the outside edge of the bottom of the tank. Using that measurement, lets say it was 2-1/4 " just to have a number, I then cut two pieces from the Kydex sheet that were the 2-1/4" wide by 5 inch tall or whatever the actual measurement was from the back of the cheese wedge to the bottom outer edge of the tank by the width of the kydex sheet I had.

I then fastened these Kydex rectangles to the cheese wedges using 3m dual lock tape.
Dual loc is like velcro but much stronger, I think it is rated at 5 lb or 10 lbs per inch. I don't recommend regular velcro. Dual lock is much more rigid when assembled.

When I was positioning the rectangles on the cheese wedges I left 5/16-3/8" of an inch between the top of the kydex and the bottom of the tank. So there was no chance that the kydex could ever rub on the tank. I cleaned the cheese wedge with 91% alcohol where the adhesive would go and also the kydex which I put the dual lock on the smooth side not the embossed side. Let everything set for 24 hours so that the adhesive tape could cure to full strength. Took it out for a ride and the bobbling was gone.
in my situation I got the same air flow but the helmet shaking was gone.

I am only 5'10 and my bike has a madstad windshield.
So milelege may vary. I got the 3m dualock tape at Walmart. Maybe I had $20 in material in the entire job and they actually work.

My original idea was if they worked to shape them so they weren't rectangles. But so far I've just enjoyed riding without my helmet bouncing around. They are almost un-noticable because they are black an come flush to the lower outside edge of the tank. It is only when the bike is on the kickstand that the driver can see them.

As I said earlier I got the idea from Pain. He used some small wind deflectors from a goldwing and attached them to his cheese wedges as I described from what I could tell from the picture he posted and what he said. If you look through his posts you'll probably find a picture or PM him and ask him to post one for you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm 6'3" and use the Long Ride Shields flip on my CCT: Rambler Windshield for Victory Cross Country and Magnum Motorcycles
Reasonably priced and extremely durable. No scratches after 5+ years! I chose this because I HATE looking through a windshield on a bike. With this one the wind is deflected over my head but I'm still looking at the road over the top of the shield. I used their measuring guidelines and if I recall correctly mine is 11". I went with the light tint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts