Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

I am in the market for a new bike and just went to a demo day today in Foxboro MA. I have been furiously reading many of your posts for the past few weeks. Extremely informative.

I am interested in a XCT. I don't want to overstep immediately with a bunch of questions (of which I have many) after riding a XC and XCT.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you in advance for any wisdom and guidance you can provide.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Welcome from CT. Let your questions fly. Just reply once more, then you can post in the appropriate forum.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Welcome from the left coast. We are here to help. Ask away.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, some observations from the demo rides.

Been riding a 2000 Honda Shadow 1100 all of its life. Had other Hondas as well. First time on larger bikes.

The XC, due to buffeting, as many people have mentioned, was a very unpleasant ride. My buddy took one out as well and experienced the same thing. I am 5'8" and he is about 6'. I could see doing a bunch of mods to work with the wind management as others have done. Once we got into the twisties, I was pleasantly surprised. Great center of gravity and I didn't have to fight the bike at all.

The XCT felt much better and where I am gravitating anyway. Really wanted the extra storage and comfort for the wife. Wind management was really better than I expected. Really nice doing 70. No buffeting at all. The trunk was unnoticeable really. I couldn't really tell a difference when riding between the XC and XCT, except for wind of course. Riding on the back roads was better than expected. I thought I would feel like I was on a monstrosity but again the twisties were quite fun.

ok, the questions... 2 things really turned me off about he XCT. The front suspension was pretty hard/tight. I didn't expect this from a touring bike. Do you think this was just because it was brand new? My Shadow actually takes bumps much better in the front. Was a bit surprised by this.

Secondly, the hard lower fairing made all kinds of "cheap plastic rattle" noises when I did hit those bumps. After doing some reading last night, it sounds like a fact finding mission and putting some sort of appropriate dampening wherever the noises are coming from. For $20k, this just really shocked me. I certainly would want that to be resolved. Has anyone else experienced this?

I plan to rent one for the day and take the wife for a nice long ride. At this point, I think it is a must.

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Welcome to the mayhem.
I was going to say ask away, but broggy beat me to it. To your questions.
I haven't noticed any rattling on mine unless the bumps were pretty large or sharp. It seems quieter than the last 3 very respectable tourers I had, so perhaps you are hitting some big potholes or it just is a loud one that needs some tightening up, or just aren't used to hearing one with a lot of plasic, hard to say.
The front suspension. Well after a Goldwing it was a pleasure. Honda seems to make the suspension soft and then put anti dive vales in some of them to stop the front from overloading in a stop. Not sure how the Shadow plays in to the equation.
The suspension seems to me to be tuned well for the bike. I guess there could have been a mechanical fault to what you felt but would lean to it isn't what you are used to.
Make sure your suspension is set properly for you long 2-up test ride. Err on the side of being heavy. After some time on it you'll appreciate the suspension (like in those twisties you talked about) and the adjustable rear will make momma happy, so will the luggage space and weight rating. She can carry "stuff" on a trip. LOL

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

Yes I am going to make sure they set the rear shock pressure to the factory recommendation when I take the wife. That really is going to be the true test for the bike. I will admit the Shadow has not great rear suspension and why she doesn't enjoy riding with me. Bumps go right to her kidneys. She does have her own bike but will not take long trips with it which is why I need a touring bike that is comfortable for her. I am hoping the rear shock is up to the test.

Hopefully, the bike I rent will show some improvement with the lower fairing noises as well.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
When airing up the shock, don't just add your body weights and look at the scale in the right case lid. You'll be surprised how much your riding gear weighs, especially if you are ATGATT, like me. Then there's the weight of the stuff in the cases to consider.
Renting is a fantastic idea. Do that and report back to us how that went. How the bike handles the twisties is one of the main things that captured me.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I rode a CCT last week at the demo rides at my dealer . I pounded over train tracks and washboard on the road and nary a peep from the CCT . In fact after being used to the way my Hammer rides I couldn't believe how plush and comfy the bike was on rough terrain. I felt like I was in Lincolns finest Town Car . You may have been on a bike that needed a bit of going over , that's all . Two of the CC's I rode had less then 20Mi. on them when I got on it . Don't even know if they received the proper prep or not .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I am starting to think they had a spare key in one of the compartments. It was that noticeable.

As far as the front suspension, you guys are pleased with the performance?

One other thing that I am worried about is that heat of the engine. Again the demo rides are so short, you don't have much time. Half way through my demo the seat was getting warm. I never looked to see if the seat heater was on or if it was coming from the engine.

I will figure all that out during the rental. A nice 24 hours should answer all the questions.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
On hot days, when running city errands, my saddle gets very warm at stop lights. Thinking of adding that heat reflector material to the under side. Legs are OK cuz I always wear 11" boots with riding sox taller than the boots and jeans or my Kevlar lined riding pants.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will admit that I do wear shorts on hot days in the summer. I just don't wear jeans in the summer. I am starting to think a CCT can't be ridden around town with shorts.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Greetings All,

I am in the market for a new bike and just went to a demo day today in Foxboro MA. I have been furiously reading many of your posts for the past few weeks. Extremely informative.

I am interested in a XCT. I don't want to overstep immediately with a bunch of questions (of which I have many) after riding a XC and XCT.

I just wanted to introduce myself and thank you in advance for any wisdom and guidance you can provide.

Thanks,
Dave
Welcome to the forum.
So, did you even try a vision? They handle much better than the XCT in my opinion and have plenty of luggage space if you are willing to make compromises. My wife and I did over 1000 miles each way to visit Niagara Falls Ontario last summer and had no trouble packing everything we needed for the 10 days we were gone. We even packed both of our portable PCs in the trunk, no compromise there for capacity's sake. I know many XCT riders think they own the touring class but IMO they are totally wrong. A Vision is the ultimate in touring bikes.
I suggest that you go back and ask your local dealer to demo a Vision both solo and 2 up. You might be surprised at how light and nimble an almost 900 lb bike can feel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm. Of course it was the Vision that caught my eye a few years ago. I was always considering it but then I got stuck on the cross bikes. Also the fairing not moving with the handlebars was quite strange. I will consider it though. I didn't have time to ride it during the demo day.

Also it seemed like a lot of Vision riders seemed to be trading in for a XCT. As you can see, once I by a bike I stick with it. Just can't afford to keep changing my mind.

Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go with the XCT, you won't regret it. I rode 250 miles today and most of it was over 100 degrees. The saddle was warm, but not hot. As for the suspension, I feel it is fine for this size bike....I've had much worse. I have the extra tall touring windshield and have no buffeting issues. There are some rattles, but not excessive and I have yet to find a dressed bike that does not have some rattle. I really feel like this is a bike I will be riding for along time to come.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Hurricane for getting me off the ledge. Hehe

After thinking about it more... I live in New England so we don't have a ton of really hot days. So if I can't ride for a couple weeks in the real hot summer weather, fine, that same heat from the engine will probably add 6 weeks on either end of the riding season for me.

That's my glass half full take.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Vision does ride nice.

I have the Cross Roads. I do not personally care for the large fairings on bikes. Butttt I have riden the Vision years ago when they first came out. Yes they look kind of spacey to some, but they do handle very well and ride very nice. Lot of people say the Vision handles better than the X bikes , they may. The price is right also, less $$$$ for a new one than the CCT if I remember right. Now to throw another log on the fire. During bike week I went and rode some other bikes. If you want very...very smooth go ride an Indian. Still like my Victory and no I do not know if I would buy an Indian, but they certainly are smooth.Smooth ride,smooth shifting and lots of smooooth chrome to clean. Big decision on buying a bike, good luck. Renting is a great idea to see how it really is after a few hours in the saddle and many miles on the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok, here is the update....

I went down to my local dealer, who is an Eaglerider affiliate and rented the XCT and the Vision. I picked up the XCT at 5pm, it was about 83F. Nice ride home, highway and backroads. Heat on my hamstrings were pretty toasty. Took it out later with a buddy, riding home at 9 pm was awesome. Heat from the engine was nice to have.

Next morning took it for a 90 minute ride with the wife on the back, temp was about 70F. Was suppose to get up to 90F. Bike behaved beautifully. No buffeting doing 80 mph for me or her and turns on back roads felt great. Wife was very comfortable. She felt like there was a lot of room back there on the XCT(no more banging helmets). Had breakfast and started an hour ride into the dealer to switch it out for the Vision. It got to about 84F on the highway and bright sunshine. Again my hamstrings were starting to get uncomfortable. I had the lowers open about about 1 - 1.5 inch as everyone had suggested and the upper fairing deflectors open half way. The fairing deflectors throw the air right at your chest without creating buffeting.(Very Nice!). Other than the heat issue( I love riding this bike.... more on heat later)

I picked up the Vision and headed out around Noon. Temps were up to 90F already. The guy at the dealer told me the Vision would be even hotter. Yikes!!!! Long story short, I rode the vision for about 2 1/2 hours in 93 degree heat and humidity and had no issue with excessive heat coming from the engine. I could have ridden all afternoon if I wasn't already hot and getting tired. (Stressful test riding these bikes) It did have the lower wind deflectors which really seemed to do the trick. I would keep putting my hand down around the engine and it was "completely normal" to me. Regular normal engine heat. Actually there was cool air consistently coming up at my hamstrings. How is that possible when it was 15 degrees warmer than when I had the XCT? However, I just didn't enjoy the total package of the Vision as much as the XCT. The storage space is a big factor as well as the XCT just seemed to fit me better. I like the gauges closer to me and having motorcycle mirrors vs. car mirrors(a little exaggeration). Also my wife enjoyed the room and the ride of the XCT better.(very important). This Vision handled nice but just didn't feel as nimble to me as the XCT. Must just be where the weight is on these bikes and the way I ride. I am sure others feel the opposite opinion.

Now... for the heat issue. I have been reading until my eyes are bleeding. It sounds like if you want to spend even more money, the heat issue can be solved. Removing cats, installing PCV, dyno tuning, auto tuning, air filter, timing wheel, heat wrap... you guys know the drill. It kills me to think that I have to spend thousands more to get the bike rideable. I do live near Westerly RI and am going to send a quick message to Kyle from KMC.

If I could get the XCT to behave the way the Vision did heat wise, I would be a very happy camper. As far as all the mods that can be done, I don't care about MPG, tourque, sound, bottom end etc. Initially, I would just care about taking care of the heat issue. Do you guys have any most bang for the buck insights to solving just the heat issue? I did also take out a Cross Country again just to not have the lower fairing. It was better, but still felt a lot of heat in my right hamstring and where my wifes. right foot would be.

Some will say, hey XCT runs hot. Part of the package. I say no way. Motorcycle riding was never about wearing all kinds of heat shield stuff on the bike , in your pants, high boots, long socks... WHAT!!!! That's not riding for me. That's surviving a ride. Sounds horrible.

My ramble ends here... thanks

·
Registered
784 Posts
If the engine is too hot for you, a fuel controller will cool it off. I have the Dobeck AFR + Gen 4, however it seems some have problems with them and they have already made several generations of it, so now it is hard to recommend. Mine has been flawless to date however.
If you want to put an air filter in, and you'll have to eventually, Lloydz is really the way to go but I have the Vic "high performance" filter and it has done fine, maybe next time or later on the Lloydz.

I was like you, having to "fix" a new bike is ridiculous, but in the modern age of EPA restrictions, the bikes have pulled back timing and run very lean, so lean in fact I got the controller after changing spark plugs. I didn't like the way they looked. So much for the non water cooled engines, they just are that way. If you want to add a timing wheel, they help but all of it doesn't have to happen at once, well, with he controller I have anyway. No need for exhaust unless you want it, the Vic pipes work well. As for the cats, leave them alone.

Oh and the 3-4 MPG increase didn't hurt either.

Now you got some thinking to do. LOL

Cheers

1 - 19 of 19 Posts