Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know it is still early BUT.... Has anyone done any kind of time on a 2011 and can testify to the rebuilt new transmission.

I am not regretting buying the 2010 (got a helluva deal) but all the reviews I have read said this new transmission is the chit!!!

Less whine, slack, cleaner shifts, neutral assist, etc.... Problem is, I just came off an HD Softail and I do not notice most of the stuff that the "professional reviewers" complain about. Yes I do notice a little bit of whine and I know that with some time it will get better but this bike is a helluva lot easier to get into neutral and as far as shifting it is a toss up for me. I have more of a complaint about the amount of clutch needed then the transmission itself.

So has anyone gone from a 6 speed transmission to a "newer" 6 speed and can really tell a difference????? They say it is a 60% improvement over the old... if that is the case it must be buttery smooth and not make a sound or clunk cuz my 2010 is not bad IMHO!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have about 3500 miles on my 2011 CR and the only difference I can speak of between 2010 and 2011 is the whine is gone and it goes into neutral easier. Once in a while it makes unexplainable noise while I'm stopped but that's only when I don't down shift early. I've seen quite a few people that have this problem; if you are in 2nd or higher and stop it's not always easy to get into neutral -- when this happens it sounds like a chain rattling around in a coffee can. I don't let it bother me, the pluses seriously outweight the minuses.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
From what I've heard from a few 2010 owners that traded to a 2011...it wasn't worth it. They say it is a little quieter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a brand new 2011 Victory Kingpin and I have no complaints so far on the transmission. Mine is still breaking in, but it shifts good and smooth. I rode a used Kingpin prior to buying my 2011 and this bike shifts and functions better than the older version I rode.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
They say it is a 60% improvement over the old... if that is the case it must be buttery smooth and not make a sound or clunk cuz my 2010 is not bad IMHO!
The Clunk
My 2011 does make the clunk as did another 2011 I had test ridden, so based on that observation it might be safe to say the clunk is there for them all.

The 60% Improvement
I believe they state the new transmission is 60% improved design, not 60% better than the old. This is probably based on the assumption that if you're redesigning something, you are making it better. And if you're changing 60% of something, then 60% of that transmission has a newer, improved design. By no means do they suggest it's 60% more efficient, or 60% quieter, or anything else 60% other than 60% different. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Clunk
My 2011 does make the clunk as did another 2011 I had test ridden, so based on that observation it might be safe to say the clunk is there for them all.

The 60% Improvement
I believe they state the new transmission is 60% improved design, not 60% better than the old. This is probably based on the assumption that if you're redesigning something, you are making it better. And if you're changing 60% of something, then 60% of that transmission has a newer, improved design. By no means do they suggest it's 60% more efficient, or 60% quieter, or anything else 60% other than 60% different. ;)
agree
after coming of trumpy rk3 touring and a long series of HDs(roadies, flh's, flt's, etc) the victory gearbox is a dream come true I reckon, we've only just recently heard about the update trans here(due in Feb/March) so can't compare just yet but be surprised if it gets any better than what I already have on my xc.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kind of what I figured. I have to agree with blackey. I just came off a HD and I thought that the Vic was a huge improvement. Just wanted to know if other thought on the new tranny.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Traded my 2010 XC for a 2011XC because of the improvement. Most of the noise is gone but the driveline slack is all but non-existent now. That was my biggest complaint about all models prior to 2011.

RR

·
Registered
243 Posts
like BigSeaDaddy , comming off a Harley, and having rode many different makes of bikes through the yrs, my 09 vegas shifts very good, and neutral is easy to find, works just like my Harley did, so i really don't know what all the fuss is about, guess im not that particular, hell i still like 45 records, don't know why we had to **** can them,

steve thumb up

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Traded my 2010 XC for a 2011XC because of the improvement. Most of the noise is gone but the driveline slack is all but non-existent now. That was my biggest complaint about all models prior to 2011.

RR

Really! I guess I need to test ride one.... maybe it is best that I don't. The wife might kill me!!! :ltr:

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Yes; the whine is all but gone, the gear lash is completely gone, neutral is a breeze to find when stopped and in 1st gear, not so much when in a higher gear.

About the only negative I can say about this new trans is it is more fickle when downshifting while coming to to a stop. It can be a downright pain in the but if I forgot to downshift when slowing down to a stop. The 09 JP I had was the same way in that regard. This is also the only aspect to the trans that is not better than an HD trans.

The pluses far outweigh the one minor negative IMHO.

I had an 07 Softail that I could turn the rear wheel a quarter turn while in gear. Any gear. Talk about some serious gear lash! Beautiful bike but under powered and had that really loose trans. I traded it in for the Jackpot to have form AND function. Three months later I traded the JP in on the XC after the demo ride.

Yeah. Unless you want to buy one; it's better to not ride one. :) That's what I tell all my HD riding buddy's too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I'm confused here.
A clunking gearbox is what my 1946 U model & 1951 pan have.
I reckon my '10 XC is PUUUURRRFECT !!!
Are we all just feeling a "little bit TOO precious", maybe a volvo, lamb skin seat covers and a Gov't handout would suit some better. thumb up

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Well I'm confused here.
A clunking gearbox is what my 1946 U model & 1951 pan have.
I reckon my '10 XC is PUUUURRRFECT !!!
Are we all just feeling a "little bit TOO precious", maybe a volvo, lamb skin seat covers and a Gov't handout would suit some better. thumb up
Could be. It might be a cultural difference Blackey. Americans love to over (anal)yze everything. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts