Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!!!!!

I've been off the forum for a while due to my work load just burying my rear-end. Finally got a little breathing room but I have feeling it's going to be short lived... :rolleyes:

Well... after losing my '16 Gunner last year in an accident and being laid up for several month, I finally decided it was time to get some wind therapy again. I had been pursuing Cycle Trader, etc. looking for the right bike. I was looking for either the XC Tour or the Vision Tour... and found some nice deals, but they were a little farther than I wanted to travel. Week before last I stumbled on a 2017 Vision Tour... 530 miles... for a great price AND right down the street from me. So Saturday I pulled the trigger and brought her home!!!! I almost doubled the miles between Saturday and Sunday... :grin This baby is SWEET!!!! I might only have a couple weekends of decent weather left before I have to put her away for the winter... but she will be waiting for the Spring... :wink

Cheers!!!!!

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Welcome from Middle Tennessee

Nice ride Mike. All you need now is a back rest to support the ole back on long or short trips. You'll be glad you did. Ride Safe and Congrats

·
Registered
483 Posts
Did you mean 2007?

The side badges, bars, and boards are wrong for a 17 unless the first owner changed them out with older model parts. If they did that to then just put on 500 miles they wasted their money but its a win for you.

I like the lit side badges and chrome from the older models.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you mean 2007?

The side badges, bars, and boards are wrong for a 17 unless the first owner changed them out with older model parts. If they did that to then just put on 500 miles they wasted their money but its a win for you.

I like the lit side badges and chrome from the older models.
I'm not sure if anything was changed. It was sold as a 2017... I'll have to check the VIN when I get home. If it isn't a 2017... there's a dealership that has some explaining to do... The warranty expires in January... and I got the extended warranty... :confused:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm not sure if anything was changed. It was sold as a 2017... I'll have to check the VIN when I get home. If it isn't a 2017... there's a dealership that has some explaining to do... The warranty expires in January... and I got the extended warranty... :confused:
That's interesting.

The older models known as a Tour Premium or Street Premium came with chrome driver floorboards as well as passenger boards, they had a oval shape backlit side badge, oblong chrome bars, and metal trim instead of what later changed to plastic in a few areas.

The newer models known as a Tour come with black floorboards and passenger boards, a nonlit V side badge, and black round bars.

From everything I see in your pic it's an older model. Even if the dealer did change parts and pieces with old stock they should have explained that to you.

Honestly depending on their story you may come out ahead. That premium stuff was nice and missed by many.

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Registered
483 Posts
Any word on what is going on?

BTW, the mirrors mounted on the bars are not right either. Those were added by somebody. The bike comes new with a plastic call plugging that hole. A few do mount mirrors there but most replace the plug with a RAM ball, but oddly the older models didn't have the holes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm seeing the badges, rear floorboard covers, arm rests, and mirrors to either be an addon or replacement. Do you see anything else VVB?

Some people, to my surprise, do like the old badges better than the new ones.
Yes, badges, bars, and the chrome front tip overs.

The rear floorboards are actually a chrome board and not just a cover. They are much nicer than what the newer models have. Since my wife only rides with me on the 13 I've been thinking about taking the nice chrome boards off the 08, leaving it bare, and putting them on my 13.

The armrest are a add-on and if I'm not mistaken have been discontinued for a good while. They'll fit all Visions.

The mirrors are also an add-on but like I said early is weird to be on a older style bar since the older bikes didn't have mirror holes. My 13 has them and I have a RAM ball in each while my 08 has none.

The only other difference that I can't see from the pic is the older models are without ABS. Usually the ABS models will have a ABS sticker on the right side on the bottom of the plastic trim just above the belt guard. Again my 13 has it while my 08 doesn't.

The wheels on the OPs bike are the newer style though. So still I'm confused of what exactly has been done. Is it an old bike with new controls on the bars and new wheels, or is it a newer bike with changed badges, bars, and boards?

The fact it was not disclosed what has been done and sold as a new 2017 is alarming to me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
This is where the ABS sticker would be. Not that it couldn't have been removed..... But why would a dealer do that? I certainly don't see it though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
A dealer would never remove that sticker. It's a selling point. The OP did say it is a used bike though. I hope he comes back after checking out the VIN to tell us what year it actually is. At 530 miles the tires should have looked new; tread-wise.

I'm seriously wondering if this is a salvage bike. I hope not. If it was sold as a 17' but is really a combination of different years to make it whole again; that dealer might be in some trouble. Especially if it turns out to be a salvage. The OP might end up with a free bike.

One other thing just caught my eye; the engine case should be much blacker for a newish 2017 but that could be trick with the light or camera. An interesting mystery.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A dealer would never remove that sticker. It's a selling point. The OP did say it is a used bike though. I hope he comes back after checking out the VIN to tell us what year it actually is. At 530 miles the tires should have looked new; tread-wise.

I'm seriously wondering if this is a salvage bike. I hope not. If it was sold as a 17' but is really a combination of different years to make it whole again; that dealer might be in some trouble. Especially if it turns out to be a salvage. The OP might end up with a free bike.

One other thing just caught my eye; the engine case should be much blacker for a newish 2017 but that could be trick with the light or camera. An interesting mystery.
It really is strange. Who buys a bike and changes that many things to only put on 530 miles?

Then if it is a 17 that is allot of old parts to track down in a short amount of time. Those lit side badges are not cheap or always easy to find.

I do really like my lit badges but I also like the newer ones. I always liked the old emblem and being backlit makes them pop.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well... the mystery deepens...

I checked the VIN against the Victory website... but it didn't come up... but then you have to put your name in, so the records probably won't show me as the owner. The VIN didn't come up on other VIN websites I tried. The bike was on consignment with the dealership. According to the dealership, the original owner purchased it new in January 2017. The dealership bought the bike when I made the offer and then sold it to me. All the paperwork says it's a 2017, but you guys have pointed out so pretty glaring inconsistencies. The original owner could have done a lot of mods on it... but I just don't know. I don't know how they could sell a bike or title a bike as "used" if it has been salvaged. It will be interesting to see what the Memorandum Title shows when I get that to get the plates. If it is an older bike, it was a garage queen... because there is no wear or tear on it at all.

Regardless of the inconsistencies... I love this bike. But I will be pretty pissed off if they pulled some shady crap.

I'll keep you folks posted on what I find out.

Mike

·
13,262 Posts
some good points about the vision. Don't wait for tittle, check on it now.
I don't think any one would want the old logo. Look to see if the cross over pipe is oblong or square. Oblong ones started in 2010 a long with the ABS. I think 2011 was the first year of the black calipers and the cc wheels on the vision. Am guessing now. If it was a reconstruction and passed inspection in Jan then yes it would have a 2017 tittle. Did you get a 2017 owners book. Is so it will tell you all the information about bike like what date it was built.

Check the car title, which can be found at a dealership or Department of Motor Vehicles.
Check the National Insurance Crime Bureau database of vehicles reported stolen or salvaged.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Well... the mystery deepens...

I checked the VIN against the Victory website... but it didn't come up... but then you have to put your name in, so the records probably won't show me as the owner. The VIN didn't come up on other VIN websites I tried. The bike was on consignment with the dealership. According to the dealership, the original owner purchased it new in January 2017. The dealership bought the bike when I made the offer and then sold it to me. All the paperwork says it's a 2017, but you guys have pointed out so pretty glaring inconsistencies. The original owner could have done a lot of mods on it... but I just don't know. I don't know how they could sell a bike or title a bike as "used" if it has been salvaged. It will be interesting to see what the Memorandum Title shows when I get that to get the plates. If it is an older bike, it was a garage queen... because there is no wear or tear on it at all.

Regardless of the inconsistencies... I love this bike. But I will be pretty pissed off if they pulled some shady crap.

I'll keep you folks posted on what I find out.

Mike
I don't understand why the dealer hasn't been contacted and simply asked. Certainly they would have known it was not a straight up 2017 Vision, but then some dealers are dumber than dirt. I'm interested to hear what they say.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts