Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 2001 V92C as my first Victory. It has been sitting for a while and I'm reading a lot of posts about common issues. I think mine may need a new fuel pump, it dogs at high speeds and the speedometer stopped working this morning. I'm taking it in on Friday to a dealer to run a diagnostic on it but other than that, the bike is fantastic! I'm looking forward to learning from you all.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Don't forget to look at the exhaust on that bike. It can greatly affect power and performance on a bike and in most cases any deviation from stock has a very negative effect, even if it opens up the exhaust.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like a possible electrical issue. The headlight/horn relay also feeds the vehicle speed sensor (VSS). This relay is in the fuse panel behind the right side cover. I've had these fail, have high internal resistance. Is the headlight bright, is the horn clear and loud? Could also be a bad sensor or corrosion at the 16 pin connector at the speedo. Should be pin #8, Wire #437 green/brown wire ( I think, I'm color blind). Check for corrosion. If it's been sitting I see hard white powder in connectors, that's the corrosion, it causes high resistance in the circuits. Dielectric grease will be your best friend, apply to all connectors. also this may be giving false speed signal to ECM and account for low power. Also, pull fuel lines off where they attach to the fuel tank. There are screens up inside the steel elbows, they may be plugged with varnish from sitting. I'd run Seafoam thru the tank and also if you can pull a vacuum line off while the engine is running, and suck Seafoam into the engine, it'll smoke bad, shut engine off, reattach line, let it sit half hour and fire it back up. This cleans valves and injectors. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oldman is correct. The V92 uses an "open loop" fuel system. Any intake or exhaust changes will effect it. The system will need to be recalibrated, which will need to be done by the dealer, as it takes a special tool. It only takes about a half hour, prob around $40-$50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, The headlight is still bright, the horn is good to go, the tachometer works just fine, speedometer and odometer do not. It will allow me to scroll through the displays for fuel, battery, trip, etc. but it doesn't record the mileage on the trip. I'm taking it in Friday for a diagnostic at the dealer just to be sure so I'll let you all know what they say to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. I'm learning the ins and outs of the victory as I go because all my previous bikes have been sportbikes so this is the first cruiser I've had. I appreciate the insight!

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Welcome and good luck friend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me know what they find. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally Resolved

So it's been about three weeks of the bike being in the shop getting diagnosed with all the issues I had. It turns out it needed a new speed sensor, voltage regulator, and speed kit assembly. The speed sensor fixed the speedo, the voltage regulator fixed the lurching, and the speed kit fixed the tach. It's running great so far, better than ever!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speed Kit???

I'm having similar issues with not just one, but two speedometers that the odometer illuminates but does not record mileage and the tachometer doesn't respond at all.

What is a speed kit and how much was that to replace?

Thanks,
Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts