Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! Just bought a new black XCT last month, it came w/ a 3 yr. warranty. I bought some RPW exhaust and thinking of getting a Power commander V instead of the Stage1 flash, but worried about voiding the warranty. I appreciate any advice.

Joe

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Hey Guys! Just bought a new black XCT last month, it came w/ a 3 yr. warranty. I bought some RPW exhaust and thinking of getting a Power commander V instead of the Stage1 flash, but worried about voiding the warranty. I appreciate any advice.

Joe
The anemic stage 1 flash for CA is not worth the paper receipt it will be written on.

Congrats on your new Victory, welcome to the forum, and ride safe! cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The anemic stage 1 flash for CA is not worth the paper receipt it will be written on.

Congrats on your new Victory, welcome to the forum, and ride safe! cheers
Thanks, That's what I figured, the cost of the ecm flash plus labor, for few more bucks I can get PCV.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Thanks, That's what I figured, the cost of the ecm flash plus labor, for few more bucks I can get PCV.
If the PCV is out of the budget, give the Lloydz Victory Fuel Controller VFC-III a look. At about half the price, it's easy to use, and you can dial your own changes as you see fit.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Half the price? I don't think so!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mind paying for the PCV, had one on my old bike. I found one for $280 at indysuperbike.com. More worried about voiding warranty incase I need to take it in.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
PCV ($370) + Autotune ($300) = $670

VFCIII = $280
Yes if you throw the Autotune (not trying to nitpick, but not mentioned previously) into the equation then you are correct.

FWIW Fuel moto sold me my PCV and AT for $299 each.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Yes if you throw the Autotune (not trying to nitpick, but not mentioned previously) into the equation then you are correct.

FWIW Fuel moto sold me my PCV and AT for $299 each.
The fact that they even sell the PCV and AT separately makes not much sense to simple folks like me. Who would want to buy one but not the other? It's more like a cheap marketing trick. PCV is only $300, but then you need the AT at another $300. Should be sold as a kit in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
The fact that they even sell the PCV and AT separately makes not much sense to simple folks like me. Who would want to buy one but not the other? It's more like a cheap marketing trick. PCV is only $300, but then you need the AT at another $300. Should be sold as a kit in my humble opinion.

The AT is not for everyone, it does require a little more mechanical inclination and willingness to experiment. for the avergage Joe, you are 'probably' better off just getting the PCV and letting an experienced dyno tuner create a solid map for your application, or getting a map from someone who has done the same mods as you. And this will do wonders for you and your riding experience. Could Dyno Jet have incorporated the AT into the PC, probably, but again some shouldn't and may not want to spend the time to create a map geared to what they ride and how they drive. But like everyone else they are in this to make money. Ya gotta love good ole fashioned Capitalism!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
The AT is not for everyone, it does require a little more mechanical inclination and willingness to experiment. for the avergage Joe, you are 'probably' better off just getting the PCV and letting an experienced dyno tuner create a solid map for your application, or getting a map from someone who has done the same mods as you. And this will do wonders for you and your riding experience. Could Dyno Jet have incorporated the AT into the PC, probably, but again some shouldn't and may not want to spend the time to create a map geared to what they ride and how they drive. But like everyone else they are in this to make money. Ya gotta love good ole fashioned Capitalism!
Yeah, but the AT is like having your own dyno tuner follow you everywhere you go, and account for any future changes you make to the bike. Since the VFCIII allows you to dial up/down your ratios without taking it to a tuner, it only makes sense to compare the VFCIII with the PCV+AT.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
LoL, sorry I am really not trying to be argumentative but fuel map changes can be done with the PCV alone, ie; plugging the PCV into a laptop and making tweaks to the map, the AT is not required for this.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
LoL, sorry I am really not trying to be argumentative...
Hehe... Me either. cheers

... fuel map changes can be done with the PCV alone, ie; plugging the PCV into a laptop and making tweaks to the map, the AT is not required for this.
You're right. But if you're willing to go the PCV without AT route, you still spend more than the VFCIII route, and you're tied to your garage (unless you haul a laptop along). The VFCIII allows you to make changes on the side of the road, at your next gas station stop, etc. I believe PCV's biggest selling point is the AT, but that's just my own opinion. ;)

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
There are options for the PC route. The PCIII offers some of that adjustability and at a price cheaper than the PCV. I ahve not seen it but supposedly there is an app for Droid platforms that laet you connect to the PCV, letting you forgo the requirement for said laptop ... step up Apple! My Iphone is just beggin for another use!!!

All that said, if not for my history with PC I would have gone with the VFC-III during my recent mods to the 8-Ball.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Hey CR, is the stage 1 flash has a different version for California bikes?
Yes, CA gets the wimpy version, which complies with the stricter emissions. The same goes for the stock fuel map. :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, CA gets the wimpy version, which complies with the stricter emissions. The same goes for the stock fuel map. :mad:
Thanks, that's good to know. That is a waste of money.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Sounds like you Cali boys need to make a run over to Arizona and have them remapped here with the 49 state mapping. You can always say you just moved here if you are worried about being legal.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Sounds like you Cali boys need to make a run over to Arizona and have them remapped here with the 49 state mapping. You can always say you just moved here if you are worried about being legal.
It's a bit harder than that. The dealers are prohibited to do it on CA bikes. But there's always PCV and VFCIII. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts